Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Signals group including; Gnr. George Blackledge. W/5423 R.F.A.

R.F.A. group. A Driver in the front row is wearing wristwatch;  two Rough Riders in the middle row.

Blackledge. R.F.A..jpg

R.F.A Rough Riders (2).jpg

R.F.A Rough Riders (3).jpg

R.F.A Rough Riders (4).jpg

That's a nice group photo, thank you for posting.  I was wondering where the photo was taken as the backdrop has the look of a grand barracks somewhere.  The soldiers have been arranged typically, front row seated on the ground, second row on seats or trestles, third row standing, and fourth row stood on deal tables or similar.  A lot fewer moustaches on view than traditionally, but they ceased being mandatory when conscription was introduced in 1916.  No medal ribbons at all on view, so no old soldiers, nor can I see Territorial shoulder titles, so those factors plus 1905 caps suggest perhaps a gunner unit from one of Kitchener's New Armies forming up at Home

Edited by FROGSMILE

Could also be in front of the local town hall.  Not that this helps,  the  "Edwardian Baroque" style is everywhere. 

"How big is your plot? 

2 acres, 

You need a 32, with a cupola ,  nymphs and a statue of the late Queen Empress. 

GH

I've seen a barracks like it before somewhere, but cannot recall where it was.  There's relatively plain brickwork above the first storey, although the window frames still seem decorative.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Naturally I defer to your greater knowledge! . 

GH

13 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Naturally I defer to your greater knowledge! . 

GH

No need, it could be anywhere GH, although organising the chairs, trestles, tables, etc. for formal military photos is easier in barracks, as I’m sure you know.  I was just wondering if GWF1967 knew where it was.

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

"How big is your plot? 

2 acres, 

You need a 32, with a cupola ,  nymphs and a statue of the late Queen Empress. 

:lol:

I've seen similar photographs taken outside Whitehall/Horse Guards Parade on the occasion of the Peace Day - Victory March July 1919. though with this one the grass is a bit of a puzzle and it seems to be dated earlier than that.

8 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I was just wondering if GWF1967 knew where it was.

A plain back, apart from a small letter "H" unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Signals group including; Gnr. George Blackledge. W/5423 R.F.A.

R.F.A. group. A Driver in the front row is wearing wristwatch;  two Rough Riders in the middle row.

Blackledge. R.F.A..jpg

R.F.A Rough Riders (2).jpg

R.F.A Rough Riders (3).jpg

R.F.A Rough Riders (4).jpg

Wow, that is a great photo.

I am collector to men of the 38th RFA (specifically W Prefixes) and I am always suprised at the lack of photos I have seen of them (I only have one in my collection to a Gnr J Crook).

7 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

A plain back, apart from a small letter "H" unfortunately. 

Thank you.  A very tenuous link but perhaps Horse Guards if Ken is correct.

12 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

:lol:

I've seen similar photographs taken outside Whitehall/Horse Guards Parade on the occasion of the Peace Day - Victory March July 1919. though with this one the grass is a bit of a puzzle and it seems to be dated earlier than that.

Thanks Ken, it was London that was at the back of my mind and on the face of it Horse Guards seems a distinct possibility.  Perhaps there were some grass verges at that precise location back then.

Edited by FROGSMILE

30 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thanks Ken, it was London that was at the back of my mind and on the face of it Horse Guards seems a distinct possibility.  Perhaps there were some grass verges at that precise location back then.

Not sure it matches the public areas. Stones are dressed differently and the arch windows have different infill bars.

hg.JPG

win2.JPG

win.JPG

Thanks Alan.  Some strong similarity though.  I wonder if it might be around the RA Barracks, or the old RMA, both at Woolwich.

Edited by FROGSMILE

One that members may be interested in. A photo of the 'Merthyr Knuts' - Welsh Horse Yeomonary which include Sgt John Collins VC, DCM, MID (back row, 2L) which was awarded at the Battle of Beersheba.

As a collector to men from Merthyr Tydfil (&38th Welsh RFA) this photo is fantastic- but is unfortunately not in my possession (hence the watermarks).

Screenshot_20210120-162112_Facebook.jpg

Edited by GMB

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thanks Alan.  Some strong similarity though.  I wonder if it might be around the RA Barracks, or the old RMA, both at Woolwich.

Yes, very similar. Good guess. 

I think Woolwich is predominately brickwork rather than Portland Stone.

5 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

Yes, very similar. Good guess. 

I think Woolwich is predominately brickwork rather than Portland Stone.

Yes you’re right although there were/are some buildings in RA barracks with dressed stone.  There was also a depot within the Royal Arsenal that belonged specifically to the RA as a whole and where their units went to receive all their battery equipment before deploying to France.  I don’t know what the architecture of that depot was like but again there were buildings with dressed stone within the Royal Arsenal.

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes you’re right although there were/are some buildings in RA barracks with dressed stone.  There was also a depot within the Royal Arsenal that belonged specifically to the RA as a whole and where their units went to receive all their battery equipment before deploying to France.  I don’t know what the architecture of that depot was like but again there were buildings with dressed stone within the Royal Arsenal.

I had a look at Civic Centres. Southampton, Leeds and Cardiff are similar but no match. Southampton is 1932 anyway. 

15 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

I had a look at Civic Centres. Southampton, Leeds and Cardiff are similar but no match. Southampton is 1932 anyway. 

Woolwich seems very likely as pretty much all newly raised gunner units kitting out went through there.

There's a similarity to the building which is displayed in the background of the 71st City of London Yeomanry Signal Regiments Facebook page.

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 16.25.41.png

This one has me confused.

Photo by Paterson's "Burgh Studio" 31 Gt. Junction Street, Leith. with "Tom Borthwick - 1918" written on the back. 

The only Thomas Borthwick (Christian or middle name) serving with the Royal Artillery is Gnr. 170366 R.G.A. - later, Pte.051326. Army Ordnance Corps.

Can anyone find a R.A. "Borthwick" listed as wounded?

Borthwick.R.a.. (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Was he from this Borthwick family I wonder?  7 sons fought in the war!

image courtesy britishnewspaperarchive.

975846593_Screenshot2021-01-20at18_17_06.png.2b82986696137eb29716a42c55ac19c7.png

If not, is there a comma after Tom?  Maybe it was taken at Borthwick by that photographer?

39 minutes ago, SHJ said:

Was he from this Borthwick family I wonder?  7 sons fought in the war!

If not, is there a comma after Tom?  Maybe it was taken at Borthwick by that photographer?

No comma, I had wondered if someone had written the name of wrong brother on the card. 

1 hour ago, SHJ said:

There's a similarity to the building which is displayed in the background of the 71st City of London Yeomanry Signal Regiments Facebook page.

It does look very similar.  Unfortunately it’s a relatively common architectural style as mentioned above.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Could also be in front of the local town hall

Certainly a possibility. A while ago I found a chap on his horse pictured at a custom house at a dock side before he left for France. I looked at all the towns he might have been at along his way. So this might be a similar situation, waiting to embark somewhere?