The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

• 2 weeks later...

A few more additions to add,

DSC01905.jpg

John,

I've still not got around to getting the paint and brushes out :whistle: .

Regards. Llew.

• 4 weeks later...

And finally, a Gartons HP sauce bottle.

DSC01914.jpg

Llew.

And finally,

I'm sure there must be more to come. Any more welcome !!

• 1 month later...

Here are two of my recent acquisitions. Funny, I began collecting Imperial German and UK uniforms from early war. Then got interested in mid-war. Now, 40 years on, I'm finally getting around to AEF uniform groups. Not sure if this is a historical progression or what. No telling why one collects what one does. 79th Co., 2nd Battn., 6th Infantry Regiment, 4th (Marine) Brigade, 2nd Division, A.E.F., 2nd Lt. Adolph L. Wests service coat with 2/6 SSI, two bullion overseas chevrons (denoting 12 months of overseas service), two bullion wound chevrons (GSWs, Belleau Woods/Blanc Mont), Marksman badge (awarded 27 July 1917), Croix de Guerre with silver star (Division level) for action at Blanc Mont and Brodie with EGA. West received 2nd Division and AEF citations for gallantry in action at Blanc Mont. He enlisted 28 May 1917 and, due to his excellent war record, was commissioned a 2nd Lt., USMCR, 13 December 1918. He received his Croix de Guerre at Leutesdorf, Germany, 2 May 1919, from General Lejeune. His Croix de Guerre citation reads, On the 5th of Oct. 1918 near Blanc Mont has greatly helped in the taking of an important position. Although undergoing a very violent machine gun fire, although attacked by superior forces he has held it until the order to rejoin his unit has been given to the detachment. PETAIN. West was honorably discharged 13 August 1919.

post-21989-0-55705400-1315180447.jpg

Headquarters Co., 5th Infantry Regiment, 4th (Marine) Brigade, 2nd Division, A.E.F., Private Norman A. Duberville’s M1917 service coat with Hdqs. Co./5th Brigade SSI, four bullion overseas chevrons (denoting 24 months of overseas service), Marksman badge (awarded 19 May 1917), Croix de Guerre with bronze star (Regiment/Brigade level) for action at Belleau Woods and British-made U S Army overseas cap with EGA. Duberville received a 2nd Division citation for gallantry in action at Belleau Woods. His 15 November 1918 citation reads, “Displayed bravery, carrying orders night and day for 15 days often under heavy artillery fire”. His Croix de Guerre citation reads, “He was a runner who showed conspicuous bravery and heroism in carrying messages at all times, day and night, during most trying times”. Private Duberville enlisted 23 May 1917 and was honorably discharged 13 August 1919.

post-21989-0-59903100-1315180863.jpg

A Bayonet which I believe is British, any pointers welcome.

DSC01911.jpg

Llew.

Yes, it is a British bayonet for the SMLE rifle and was still in use in the early years of WW2 and by Australian forces throughout.

Thanks for that, It looks like it was made by Wilkinson and it also shows 1907, year of manufacture? There are about 6 other markings on the other side, but to tell you the truth, I haven't done any research in to it as yet.

Regards. Llew.

Thanks for that, It looks like it was made by Wilkinson and it also shows 1907, year of manufacture? There are about 6 other markings on the other side, but to tell you the truth, I haven't done any research in to it as yet.

1907 is the pattern date - somewhere in the markings will be a date in the format 9 17 which would be the actual date of manufacture (for September 1917 in this case). Other digits on their own will be reissue/refurbishment marks (eg 31 for 1931).

Andrew,

Many thanks for the reply, on, lets call it the left hand side of the blade , there is a crown with a GR under, then 1907, then 11 and finally WILKINSON. On the right hand side there is an 18, what looks like the letter R and some other marks which could have some crowns above.

Regards. Llew

More superb photos Bill, thanks for posting them.

Thanks, W. Other than my wife, nobody ever sees my collection. It has been a pleasure sharing it with Forum members. Cheers, Bill

... on, lets call it the left hand side of the blade , there is a crown with a GR under, then 1907, then 11 and finally WILKINSON. On the right hand side there is an 18, what looks like the letter R and some other marks which could have some crowns above. Regards. Llew

Photos always help ( as I am frequently told by other bayonet people on this Forum!). But, below the crown, the GR (for Georgius Rex), and the 1907 (the pattern date) there should be two sets of figures, giving the month and year, e.g., 11 17 = November 1917: your '11' is either the month or the year. The figure '18' on the other side would seem to be a reissue date, i.e., 1918. The 'R' might even be an abbreviation for 'Reissue' - I don't know! The other marks with crowns will be the official inspectors marks - usually a crown over two letters/numbers over a single letter - perhaps a 'W' in your case as it is a Wilkinson bayonets.

A useful but summary guide to bayonet markings is available at: http://thearmouryonl...ntification.htm ; another more detailed is at: http://www.radix.net.../brit_bayo.html

Trajan

EDIT: The 'R' could be 'Refurbished', e.g., if you have 'R' and '18', then refurbished in 1918 - but don't quote me on that before someone else confirms or refutes!

Trajan,

Many thanks for the very useful links, i'll have a closer look over the weekend.

All of the items in my modest collection have been given to me by local people, who thought that I would give them a good home, and thats what I intend to do with them, but could some one please give me an idea on what the bayonet may be worth?

Regards. Llew.

Glad to be of help! I haven't worked out how to post links into a reply yet, but if you check the latest posts by GWF member 'Shipping Steel' in the 'Observations on bayonets' thread on this forum you'll see one that sounds rather like yours, with an 'R' and an '18' on one side. So, it might be an American made P1907 - but check your bayonet against the photo's on that thread for confirmation

No idea as to its value in the UK - but I for one wouldn't have minded being asked to give it a good home! :)

Best,

Trajan

Hi all,

I am thinking of displaying some of my grandfathers stuff but would like some ideas or examples of how I might approach it. I have his militarpass and soldbuch, EKII doc and eight or nine picture postcards. Sadly, no medals or ribbons (no one knows where they might be).

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi all,

I am thinking of displaying some of my grandfathers stuff but would like some ideas or examples of how I might approach it. I have his militarpass and soldbuch, EKII doc and eight or nine picture postcards. Sadly, no medals or ribbons (no one knows where they might be).

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel.

No doubt you have seen some of the terrific framed displays that have appeared under "militaria displayed", You will probably have to experiment a bit with the material that you have, to see what works best. The main thing is to limit the amount of displayed material to three or four items. Start with his photograph , not necessarily centered in the frame and build around it so that you achieve a visual balance. I would slightly overlap the militaire pass and soldbuch. The way I understand it is the record of the medal awarded in the soldbuch etc carried more importance than the actual medal which could be easily replaced (so I was told),

however the point that I am trying clumsily to make is that you may wish to consider using replacement medal/s as part of the display. Do not let the frame overpower the contents and contact your local framer for acid free material and glass that will stop sun damage

good luck

khaki

I was lucky enough to claim space in a glass-fronted bookcase.

Not a patch on some of the other displays here but my most treasured possessions are contained therein.

Most of my other stuff is "stored" rather than displayed.

Chris

post-14525-0-50337600-1315969002.jpg

Hi Chris,

I enjoyed looking at your collection, is it family? I like the casual arrangement (what photographers strive for) particuarly like the medals on the xmas box. Very pleasing display.

Thanks for sharing,

khaki