Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Two tunics, Boar war, 2/Derby, WW1 N/Derby tunic, to the right is an original PH brought from Skegness some years ago for £25 when we got there the woman's son was running about with it on.

post-20062-042400600 1285498418.jpg

2 V DERBY tunic with all Victorian white metal buttons and collars. Behind is a T 24 London tunic which is in the Mick Mannion collection.

post-20062-053962600 1285499550.jpg

Here are some of my smaller family items.

The rest is over 8 mtrs of military related books, plus my model tank collection

and then mostly larger WW2 items.

The lastest bits aquired being the papers on the desk. These have sent me looking

into my unknown history of my Great Uncles WW! Merchant Naval service and the

surprise was the enclosed records of my late Aunt's WW2 Observer Corp service.

To John Gregory

Many thanks for the mail and photo.

The Ribbons mentioned are shown on the attached pictures

SMG

post-58934-022218100 1285595641.jpg

post-58934-055447600 1285595659.jpg

post-58934-033766300 1285595677.jpg

post-58934-002087800 1285595907.jpg

Hi John & SMG thank you for sharing your collections with us, neat uniforms especially liked the Sth African War tunic, always enjoy the small stuff from WW1, probably the most diverse area of collecting.

Regards

khaki

• 3 weeks later...

Its great that the postings have reached 156 replies and 5089 views, it certainly shows the level of interest in displays out there. I hope that we can keep it alive. I know that some of these things have been seen in other postings but to have it all together is obviously very popular. I wonder if we could expand it to include something like 'your' local WW1 memorial artillery etc., displayed in city parks etc. It would be neat to know what is still out there and what its history is, if it is known, and where we can find it.(good for the local economy). I apologise if this has been done before, but I was unable to find it. Any thoughts from members on this idea?

regards

khaki

I don't have all my swords displayed properly yet. Half are on a rack on the wall, and half are sitting on a shelf (more of a storage solution than a display). For now I will just share some photos of my WWI era officer's swords ("displayed" on the back porch).

From top to bottom: Pattern 1895 Infantry Officer's Sword made by Wilkinson in 1888 for G.H. Neale of the Middlesex Regiment (KIA near Loos in Sept. 1915), Pattern 1897 Infantry Officer's Sword made by Wilkinson in 1898 for W.H. Wilkin of the Sherwood Foresters (POW 1914-18), Pattern 1821 Artillery Officer's Sword made by Wilkinson in 1901 for D.R. Macdonald, DSO, MC of the Royal Artillery, Pattern 1897 Infantry Officer's Sword made by Wilkinson in 1906 for D.M. King, DSO, MC of the King's Liverpool Regiment (seconded to Australian Imperial Forces), Pattern 1897 Infantry Officer's Sword sold by Ranken & Co. to F.C. Head of the 6th Jat Light Infantry.

WWI-1.jpg

WWI-2.jpg

Below is the one rack I have up, with a mix of Victorian and WWI swords. Eventually I hope to get another one up for the rest of the collection.

5ecd5e16.jpg

Impressive collection of swords, very envious, neat to have so many identified, I like the wall rack, very effective display.

regards

khaki

2 V DERBY tunic with all Victorian white metal buttons and collars. Behind is a T 24 London tunic which is in the Mick Mannion collection.

You'll have to age the mannikin/ dummy! He has at least 16 years VF service from his badges! Stick a moustache on, and add a few wrinkles!

There are some very impressive swords shown above, they do make for a very attractive display - and the provenance just helps to complete the story. :thumbsup:

Here is another of my favourite group photo shots - a selection of wartime production P1907 bayonets with that special "well-used" look.

This batch comprised a restoration and refurbishment project that I got a lot of enjoyment out of completing.

I have a feeling that these ones could tell some stories as well - if only they could talk.!!

From top to bottom they are a Vickers made in 1917 and a Chapman and an Enfield both made in 1915.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-014318700 1287320214.jpg

Hi S<S

I agree absolutely, nice shot, There is somehing very satisfying about smle bayonets, they display very easily.

regards

khaki

Thank you for your kind comments on the swords. I enjoy researching the officers as much as the swords themselves. I will post an update when I get around to mounting that second rack. :)

I am quite impressed with the collections displayed in this thread. I hope members continue to contribute photos!

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my small collection.

2 SMLE's and a 1907 Bayonet. The top SMLE is a 1918 BSA mkIII* deactiveated, all matching serial numbers; the lower is a 1915 BSA mkIII with magazine cut-off, windage adjustable rear sight and still shoots.

Collection001a.jpg

Ordnance, left to right, 18pr shrapnel remains, 18pr shrapnel, shell, case and No.80 fuze, No.23 Mills Grenade and another 18pr shrapnel with No.80 fuze.

Collection002a.jpg

More in next post.

An EK1 and EK2, a wound badge and a coller badge for the 18th (Western Ontario) Battalion CEF.

Collection003a.jpg

And lastly my SRD jars and water bottle.

Collection004a.jpg

Despite the corks, they are all empty!

LOL, not the greatest huh! :wacko: I think these three are the best ones, and the Indian War one doesn't look too bad, the others with mustaches and beards not so good I guess.

I made half of the manikins using those syrofoam heads and torso stands with 2X4 legs added. The ones I made don't have any mustaches though, :) Ray

post-59711-092641800 1288285112.jpg

Ray, It's good to see that Village People are still doing gigs. :D

One more image to add to my earlier postings; nearly forgot the Enfield P14 (deactivated).

Collection005a.jpg

LOL, not the greatest huh! :wacko: I think these three are the best ones, and the Indian War one doesn't look too bad, the others with mustaches and beards not so good I guess.

I made half of the manikins using those syrofoam heads and torso stands with 2X4 legs added. The ones I made don't have any mustaches though, :) Ray

extraordinary, one can only say WOW

Regards

Bob R.

Just a sample from my collection......

Mike

serious collection of Boer war, wouldn't happen to have any Strathcona (Lsh) medals in the mix????

regards

Bob R

Hello Bob

Yes there are three Strathcona's....... Two Dated and One undated......

One Royal Canadian Dragoons

Six Canadian Field Artillery

Four Canadian Mounted Rifles

Three Royal Canadian Regiment

Five Canadian Scouts

Six South African Constabulary.....

Mike