Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Sabine 72 once made a topic around the bandoleer but nobody could give a straight answer. It has nine pouches and is marked 1917,and there is no extra space between 4 and 5 like in most British bandoleers.

Regards

Pat

It's good to see that there has now been 225 replies and over 10,000 views. Sharing images of your 'treasures' has certainly proved popular.

Congratulations and a big thank you to all contributors.

khaki

• 4 weeks later...

Decided that although not related to me or my family that I should ensure that Pte. 3324 Henry Hutchins, Oxs & Bucks Light Infantry & DVR T3-024804 John Williams, ASC are always remembered.......their memorabilia now suitably displayed for hanging in my 'old soldiers' gallery at home. thumbsup.png

post-51610-0-35094900-1303392550.jpg

post-51610-0-86282100-1303392569.jpg

Very nice displays with effective use of colours and double matting. Would you mind giving us some details on what the documents are.

Thanks

khaki

Very nice displays with effective use of colours and double matting. Would you mind giving us some details on what the documents are.

Thanks

khaki

Henry Hutchins Medal card, War medals (War Service & Victory from WW1 & Defence medal from WW2), his named Dog tags & some French coins from 1916. An Ox & Bucks Light Infantry Cap badge. Gold & Silver YMCA Albert watch chain fob cricket medals of his from between the wars....the YMCA had a team in the Oxfordshire County Cricket leagues then. Also a YMCA Gold medal with 5 bars (25 years service). Amongst Hutchins memorabilia was a Lily Cap Badge with moto 'Silcut Lilum'. Through this Great War Forum the badge has been identified as one belonging to the Magdalen College School Officer Training Corps. The OTC was formed in 1908 so maybe he was in the OTC when a pupil before WW1? The small picture is believed to be him sometime after WW2 as an old man. cool.gif

John Williams War Medals (1915 Star, War Service & Victory) & 2 Medal cards. ASC shoulder titles & Cap badge. cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As others have mentioned I rotate my uniforms periodically. I use Ronis Brothers dress forms (NYC). On the top, Thüringisches Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 6 (Hanau) XVIII Armee Korps Field Uniform, circa 1915, belonging to Leutnant von Günther. Buttonhole Ribbons for EK 2. Klasse 1914 and Bulgarien Militärerdiensordern. On the Chest is an EK 1. Klasse 1914. “T.U.R.6” is stamped in Sleeve Liner. Von Günther served after the Armistice in the 2. Freiwilligen Eskadron Ulanen Regiment Nr. 6 (Freikorps). The “CRIX” Cypher and Crown on the Shoulder Boards refers to King Christian of Denmark, honorary Chef des Thüringisches Ulanen-Regiment Nr.6.; on the bottom, Thüringisches Husaren-Regiment Nr.12 (Torgau) IV Armee Korps Officer’s Field Service M.1909 Attila, circa 1914, Husaren-Regiment Nr. 12 Officer’s ‘Crusher’ Schirmmütze, circa 1916 and M.1896 Paradebinde with Dreyse Holster, belonging to Leutnant Friedrich Karl Freiherr von Seckendorff.

post-21989-0-29669600-1306285268.jpg

post-21989-0-69091300-1306285283.jpg

On the top, Königliches Bayern 3. Reserve Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Karl von Bayern (Augsburg) I Bayerisches Armee Korps M.1907 Unteroffizier's Field Service Uniform, circa 1915, belonging to Unteroffizier Lutz; on the bottom, Infanterie-Regiment Kaiser Wilhelm (2.Grosßherzoglich Hessiches) Nr.116 (Geißen) XVIII Armee Korps Field Service Uniform, circa 1915, belonging to Hauptmann de Harde. Born 13.11.1888 in Bad Blankenburg, de Harde joined J.R. 116 in 1909 and served with this Regiment the entire Duration of the War. De Harde won his EK 1. Klasse 28.9.1916 and his EK 2. Klasse 13.10.1914.

post-21989-0-56018400-1306286912.jpg

post-21989-0-45080300-1306286945.jpg

7.(Thüringisches) Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 96 (Gera) XI Armee Korps Leutnants Field Uniform, circa 1915, on top; 1. Nassauisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 87 (Mainz) XVIII Armee Korps Hauptmanns Field Service Uniform, circa 1914, on bottom.

post-21989-0-67389400-1306287235.jpg

post-21989-0-56878600-1306287245.jpg

On the top, Feldartillerie-Regiment Prinz-Regent Luitpold von Bayern (2. Württembergisches) Nr.29 (Ludwigsburg) XIII Armee Korps Oberleutnant’s Field Service Uniform, circa 1914; on the bottom, Infanterie-Regt. Hamburg (2.Hanseatisches) Nr.76 (Hamburg) VIII Armee Korps Field Service Uniform (dated Sept 1914),Schirmmutze and M.1915 Preußen Officer’s Feldbine with Pistol Case belonging to Leutnant Lafrenz. Lafrenz was wounded 26.4.1915 near Les Eparges and later died of his Wounds 27.4.1915 at Hattonville.

post-21989-0-22552800-1306287580.jpg

post-21989-0-58436500-1306287617.jpg

Absolutely fantastic displays - thanks for sharing.!! They look to be in wonderful condition. :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Absolutely fantastic displays - thanks for sharing.!! They look to be in wonderful condition. :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Thanks, SS. I've been collecting for over 40 years. The eight Imperial German uniform groupings above in very good condition. They are complete (from the waist up) and all items (headgear, belts, jackets) are unit coordinated (except for holsters). They are also all identified to their original owners. I have spent a great amount of time researching the CVs of these soldiers (two are German nobility). I doubt I could find all the bits today even if I had the cash to buy them. In the last few years feldgrau has almost dried up on the market. Helmut Weitze gets the occassional M1910 uniform but at astronomical prices.

If I can figure out how to reduce the size of my photos I'll post my Allied uniforms groupings tomorrow.

Cheers, Bill

Members might like to know of the oddest setting I have yet seen of a display of WWI militaria... In a shoe shop in Ankara, Turkey! The walls are hung with various bits and pieces of military equipment in a variety of conditions (including some suspiciously live-looking cartridges in corroded striper clips...!), all of it allegedly from Canakkale/Gallipoli! I saw these things a month or so back (when out shopping with the family) and among other items I quickly noted at the time were a couple of UK field caps, one I am pretty certain with a Lancs badge; odd French/German/UK and Turk bayonets in varying conditions, the iron bits of rifles, etc.

OK, before anyone rushes to remind me of what I should do about all of this, I am aware of my responsibilities here (even though I am knew to the GWF) and I DO plan to go to the shop again sometime in the summer and see if I can sweet-talk them into looking at all this stuff more closely and record it properly - or at the very least let me take some photos. They did let me check on a Mauser bayonet when I was there the last time, so who knows? Mind you, I might have to buy a pair of shoes... - not cheap in this particular shop as they are all designer imports!

Trajan

Bill,

In the nicest possible way..."I hate you!" :thumbsup:

Superb Feld Grau items and a credit to you.

TT

Bill,

In the nicest possible way..."I hate you!" :thumbsup:

TT

Hello TT, I'd gladly trade all my feldgrau for your proximity to the Western Front. I hate you too :hypocrite: Cheers, Bill

lots of nice photos

well done to everyone

very good presentations

regards

Robert

Ladies and Gentlemen........

Here is a complete set of all 26 Bars that were issued for the Queen's South Africa Medal including a Bronze as issued to Indian troops and the various types of reverse including a Dated Medal......

Mike

post-59838-0-01144400-1306371418.jpg

Hello QSAMIKE, Well done....must have taken AGES to put that collection together. Congratulations. Cheers, Bill