Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Hi 18th,

Nice collection of SRD jars, rifles and Ek's:D

khaki

One more image to add to my earlier postings; nearly forgot the Enfield P14 (deactivated).

Collection005a.jpg

Hi Mike, Wow what a neat 'sample' hope we can see other sample's, the framed holster, photo's etc is a real eye catcher, nicely done and well balanced.

khaki

It certainly shows the level of interest in displays out there. I hope that we can keep it alive. I know that some of these things have been seen in other postings but to have it all together is obviously very popular ...

regards

khaki

I agree that this has been a tremendous thread and of much interest - it would be nice to keep it going and hopefully we can see some more displays, collections and memorabilia.

With that in mind I have dragged out a couple more pics to share from my collection. As I mentioned before I like to display my items in photographs and I also like to research the story behind them.

This one is a Pattern 1888 Mk.II bayonet with scabbard, made by Enfield in 1901 and marked as being issued to the Royal Naval Division. It was also marked out and re-issued in 1916, the year that the Royal Naval Division actually became part of the Army.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-088524800 1288867010.jpg

Keeping with the naval theme but this time from the other side of the pond. This is an American Model 1905 bayonet and scabbard that was made by the Springfield Armory in 1909. Both are marked as being issued to a US Marine Corps detachment that was charged with garrison duty at a large Naval Base during the war. This type of bayonet was made for attachment to the Model 1903 Springfield rifle.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-055164800 1288874086.jpg

Hi llew,

Nice photo's, ordnance always looks impressive when displayed well like yours, I know nothing about ordnance myself, can you

identify the nationality/age of a shell by the 'driving band style'?, I was looking at a shell recently that was identified as WW1 German, no fuse cap,

no markings, just an empty shell with a driving band.

khaki

I have never seen a (USMC) 05 bayonet and scabbard that was unit marked, any chance of a photo of the markings?

thanks

khaki

They are not "unit marked" as such, but marked to the Naval Base garrison which was a Marine Corps detachment. I think this example spent much of its time locked away in the armory.!

Here is a LINK which talks about some of the history of the base and the role the Marines played in providing security. It makes for an interesting read as it is quite an overlooked part of the GW.

Cheers, S>S

Llew, your blue and yellow 18Pr shell, I've not seen that paint scheme, what type does it represent, as you have the shrapnel No.80 Time & Percussion fuze, and from the images I've seen, the sharpnel shells were black with 2 red stripes?

Paul

I've been given all these items by a local man who has been going over to France for many a year now, he has a spare bedroom full of stuff, I'll have to get round there with my camera and put some images up on this thread. I know nothing about ordnance like yourself khaki, but I've been told that the 18 pound shell with the blue and yellow paint scheme would signify a gas shell, but that doesn't mean anything to me Paul. I believe that the black shell is French and that I have a British, French and German bullet and will appreciate being put right. The shrapnel piece looks like it would be something off a bigger version on the 18 pounder, confirmation would be appreciated.

Regards. Llew.

• 2 weeks later...

I am guessing that with some displays where items are rare or too fragile to support weight, collectors supplement their display with reproduction articles, I presume that museums might do the same, and I find nothing wrong with that if it achieves the desired effect. Its nice to have the original, but with the value,age and availability of original leather equipment and uniform items does it really matter for a display?

How do others feel?

khaki

I am guessing that with some displays where items are rare or too fragile to support weight, collectors supplement their display with reproduction articles, I presume that museums might do the same, and I find nothing wrong with that if it achieves the desired effect. Its nice to have the original, but with the value,age and availability of original leather equipment and uniform items does it really matter for a display?

How do others feel?

khaki

I for one like to display all original, space,right kind of environment being available, a quick lesson on how to preserve specific items is highly recommended, some do not want to treat items such as leather with preservatives, I guess its each to his own when it comes to that.

Regards

Bob R.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sven,

Impressive display of German militaria, great mannequins, did you work on them yourself?, I particuarly liked the cold weather coat, is there a story behind it??

Thanks for the photo's

khaki

Hi Sven,

Impressive display of German militaria, great mannequins, did you work on them yourself?, I particuarly liked the cold weather coat, is there a story behind it??

Thanks for the photo's

khaki

The coat was wearing by saxonian troops and its marked with BA XIX 18. ( 2nd saxonian army corps No 19 1918 )

Regards

• 1 month later...

And lastly my SRD jars and water bottle.

Collection004a.jpg

Despite the corks, they are all empty!

My mom has several of those jars. She used to find them at yard sales 20 years or so back for a couple of dollars each.

I've spent 2 hours viewing this thread, time well spent.

Your collections are fantastic and inspiring!

Couldn't agree more, 80th Div. I hope we can keep it growing, I would like to see some images of Great War documents, the variety must be enormous, everything from movement orders to field post cards., It would be a great resource, here's hoping.

khaki

YES! All posts very, very nice.

I am plugging this thread in the hope of more! :thumbsup:

Do Give Generously

Cheers

Llew

Here are the correct colours for 18 Pdr Gas Shells.

John

post-1365-008251200 1297022329.jpg

Llew

Here are the correct colours for 18 Pdr Gas Shells.

John

Do have the marking for a shrapnel shell 1914/15... 18PR. Thanks