Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

a part of my library ......... all Great War or Military Manuals, most of these are relevant to 1914 1918, and mostly collected for peanuts 30 to 20 years ago.

The Aviation, and the Naval, are shelved in other rooms.

The very valuable early Victorian stuff is kept off-site, with the family medals.

Library is being re-catalogued, shelf by shelf, at the moment.

The photos exclude the "in frequent use" items, on a shelf over the PC.

Now I am salivating. I admire your dedication when you say you are cataloguing. I really ought to do that and several times got as far as opening one of the doors to the cupboards. My heart quailed in the face of the task and I decided to do it another day. Still on the to do list, slightly behind finish decorating the bathroom.

here's a little chunk: Word tabulations make sorting by category, date or whatever a doddle. 07 is the category, followed by cost, followed by approx valuation.

112 Sig regs 1904 07 2 20

113 Trg man sigs 1914 07 1 20

114 Trg man sigs 1907 07 10 20

115 Trg man sigs Pt II 1914 07 2 20

120 Signal training 1938 07 5 10

121 Instr army tells: II Lines 1909 07 5 10

122 Instr army rels I: instruments 1914 07 5 10

as ever, tab gets untabbed when pasted here.

Leave the bathroom!

I certainly agree, its not only thought of as difficult to obtain, in my experience its very true! I get suprised by sellers who's thinking is polar, one person might see chaplains as very little interest, low value, another will think low numbers of them, rare thus high value. Depending on their position they might rebadge a tunic to make it more saleable even. The only thing this doesn't hold true for in my experience is Medals. Chaplains seem to attract a lot of interest, either by people collecting for who they are, or the unit they were attached to. All the YMCA paperwork I have seen has the red logo.

cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

Great to see your collection relating to an area of collecting I have always thought of as difficult to obtain. I have always tried to pick up similar material, mainly pocket new testaments, in fact I bought an American Bible Society New Testament last week, it has the black triangle in the lower right corner of the cover which is made of canvas? I don't know if that is the symbol of the bible society or the YMCA I always thought the latter symbol was red. Maybe you can let me know.

It pays to be careful with photographic and written material I don't know what to suggest other than to speak to museum curators about exposing material to light, I am sure that other members can offer some suggestions.

regards

khaki

There are some cracking displays there!!

Makes my few pictures and medals look very poor. :wub:

Hi Kevint,

I am sure your collection, is worth having, you have got me interested, think about letting us have a look. Have you done any research with the medals?

regards

khaki

May i add, mine to! But iv'e enjoyed every collection on this thread and it's good to see them in good hands. Very well done to all. But i would love to pick a book out of Grumpy's library.

Cheers all

lets have a look, no collection is too small, always good to look at

Regards

Bob R.

Displaying bayonets on a wall is something I have always had 'issues' with, different blade shapes, lengths, guard sizes etc drives me crazy, not to mention with or without scabbard, Swords look OK in a scabbard but in my opinion they do nothing to enhance a bayonet unless on a manequin or displayed (wall mounted) parallel with the blade. Is there a unobtrusive way of wall mounting that is 'universal enough to support all the varieties? Maybe some hardware store fitting that can be adapted?

help please

khaki

lets have a look, no collection is too small, always good to look at

Regards

Bob R.

Thanks both for the encoiuragement.

It's not the collection I have so much as they are not displayed. I will however take some pictures.

I have done a lot of research on what items I have. I have a picture of 52nd Buglers in 1914 - this has lead to a leaver arch file of research. I also have a couple of nurses autograph books that I have been researching. The research is my main reason for buying an item,I want to find out and remeber the men behind the medal or photo. :poppy:

Thanks both for the encoiuragement.

It's not the collection I have so much as they are not displayed. I will however take some pictures.

I have done a lot of research on what items I have. I have a picture of 52nd Buglers in 1914 - this has lead to a leaver arch file of research. I also have a couple of nurses autograph books that I have been researching. The research is my main reason for buying an item,I want to find out and remeber the men behind the medal or photo. :poppy:

Perfect sentiment,

keep up the good work,

khaki

Displaying bayonets on a wall is something I have always had 'issues' with, different blade shapes, lengths, guard sizes etc drives me crazy, not to mention with or without scabbard, Swords look OK in a scabbard but in my opinion they do nothing to enhance a bayonet unless on a manequin or displayed (wall mounted) parallel with the blade. Is there a unobtrusive way of wall mounting that is 'universal enough to support all the varieties? Maybe some hardware store fitting that can be adapted?

help please

khaki

I've used a peg board (one with pre drilled holes), painted a darker white color, bayonets are attached using fine wire, with or without scabbards, I usually try to show the blade, as with swords,

peg board can be cut to size, also a frame can be simply made to finish the display off. different boards can be made to display specific types/makes/country etc.

peg board also allows the use of hooks to hang or mount the items

hope this gives you some ideas

regards

Bob R.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion (peg board) I will experiment and see what happens, do you think copper wire would be okay ?

khaki

I try to use steel colored wire, that way it does not distract from the piece being mounted, although copper wire is easier to manipulate

Here's my modest collection room coming together,its nice to come out of the closet fianlly. It is a blend of WW I aviation and infantry, BEF & CEF, and WW II aviation - and all the odds & sods and medlas, kit etc. that goes along with acquiring this stuff.

P1010449.jpg

P1010450.jpg

P1010451.jpg

more:

P1010453.jpg

P1010452.jpg

And - the spectacle of all spectacles is my friend Vics collection. He bought the house next door and converted it to a collections display area, WW I on the first floor, WW 2 upstairs and pre WW I and averflow in the basement. These are posted with permission:

vic12.jpg

vic14.jpg

vic3.jpg

and some close ups:

vic8.jpg

vic6.jpg

vic10.jpg

He has written a great book full of images on portions of his WW I collection, PM if you want details on how to get a copy - he has a UK distributor.

Wonderful displays of collections, certainly would like to get a copy of a new uniform book, please let us all know the details. Thanks for the great photo's.

khaki

and some close ups:

vic8.jpg

vic6.jpg

vic10.jpg

He has written a great book full of images on portions of his WW I collection, PM if you want details on how to get a copy - he has a UK distributor.

both displays are awsome, your friends collection, is it in Calgary??

Regards Bob R.

Some lovely stuff there. Understatements on the word modest though I should think! No false modesty need prevail here :D Those pictures are superb and the depth of the collections also.

Regards

Does this count as display? Certainly popular with those visiting Fort Henley this weekend:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV37Qqi

37Qqi.jpg

Thanks Andrew,

It certainly counts as a display as far as I am concerned, I love to see it all come together whether in private collections or museums. For a lot of us the opportunity to travel and visit all that can be seen is not going to happen. That's why I get such a great kick out of what you and other members have shared with us , whether it is photo's of collections, museum displays or visits to WW1 battlefields.This forum has opened up a dimension in world war one research/collecting that at one time was beyond imagination. My understanding of the Great War has increased by leaps and bounds since I first registered and I am quite humbled by the expertise that members constantly share with us . My special thanks to all

khaki