Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Here is a photograph of one of my 18 Pdr Shrapnel Rounds.

John

post-1365-010301500 1297031008.jpg

Here is a photograph of one of my 18 Pdr Shrapnel Rounds.

John

Thanks for posting. My 18pr shrapnel round has two yellow rings. This i take it is not correct? It has a No.80 timer and is stamped with a crows foot in what looks to be the letter 'C'. Either side of that, looks to be 'R'

Any thoughts welcome.

The colours in Post 201 is correct. Where on the fuze is the stamped letters.

John

The colours in Post 201 is correct. Where on the fuze is the stamped letters.

John

Hello John.

It is stamped at the base of the fuse. On the last ring with the thread for attaching the fuse. Hope this comes across ok. :blink:

17107BM

The C with an arrow inside is a Canadian acceptance mark, and the R is the assemblers monogram for the Dominion Cartridge Company of Montreal.

John

17107BM

The C with an arrow inside is a Canadian acceptance mark, and the R is the assemblers monogram for the Dominion Cartridge Company of Montreal.

John

Thanks John.

May trouble you further? The band at the bottom of the shell has a smooth brass ring, unlike yours which looks to be in segments.

I know! It's time to read on the subject..

My Shrapnel round has been fired hence the grooves cut into the driving band by the rifling. Yours has not been fired.

John

My Shrapnel round has been fired hence the grooves cut into the driving band by the rifling. Yours has not been fired.

John

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Red colour scheme it is then.

Cheers John.

Really, really good. Nice touch with the 303 round in the Enfield rifle sling.

Thanks for posting..

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my favourite RFC bits (elsewhere I have another replica Lewis and other documents and clothing)

DSCF4699.jpg

Airco DH4 200hp BHP engine propeller hub, x2 Royal Flying Corps technical note books (one 1916, the other 1917), original vaseline tin as used by Pilots and Observers to protect exposed skin, 1917 Kodak No 2 Autographic camera which I still use, x2 matchbox covers to commemorate William Leefe Robinson VC and the downing of 'Zepp' SL11, Observer's badge, and replica .303 1000 round ammunition box and aerial Lewis gun Mk 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would pop this pic on of a uniform in my collection for a bit of variation so I hope you all like it!

Kuban Cossack Officer uniform - late WWI/Civil War period.

:)

Regards.....Andy

post-65942-0-38006600-1300182641.jpg

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the photo, it looks really neat, something you don't see much of, I guess that's a very tough area of collecting, congratulations.

khaki

Hi Khaki,

I have several more on display like that one, it's not an easy field of collecting as there's so much fake stuff about - mind you, I haven't bought anything decent in that line for quite some time now. Some items were of course inherited which helped :)

Cheers......Andy

This is another great topic that I will follow up closely,I like all those stunning pics of your collections that you want to sheer with the rest of us. My collection is not big according to some other collections.

Pat :whistle:

Some of my favourite RFC bits (elsewhere I have another replica Lewis and other documents and clothing)

I have not seen a replica Lewis in that configeration, is it a 'parts' dummy receiver gun or a full replica? Thanks for the photograph, always enjoy aviation memorabilia.Lets see more.

khaki

DSCF4699.jpg

Airco DH4 200hp BHP engine propeller hub, x2 Royal Flying Corps technical note books (one 1916, the other 1917), original vaseline tin as used by Pilots and Observers to protect exposed skin, 1917 Kodak No 2 Autographic camera which I still use, x2 matchbox covers to commemorate William Leefe Robinson VC and the downing of 'Zepp' SL11, Observer's badge, and replica .303 1000 round ammunition box and aerial Lewis gun Mk 2