Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Thanks Andrew,

It certainly counts as a display as far as I am concerned, I love to see it all come together whether in private collections or museums. For a lot of us the opportunity to travel and visit all that can be seen is not going to happen. That's why I get such a great kick out of what you and other members have shared with us , whether it is photo's of collections, museum displays or visits to WW1 battlefields.This forum has opened up a dimension in world war one research/collecting that at one time was beyond imagination. My understanding of the Great War has increased by leaps and bounds since I first registered and I am quite humbled by the expertise that members constantly share with us . My special thanks to all

khaki

well said and seconded by myself

Bob R.

and yes it certainly counts as a display

As requested my small display.

This cabinet is organised. The top medals and photographs are all relatives.

The second cabinet needs organising. I have ordered some jewellery pads to put the medals on.

The medals for the second cabinet.

Two honourable discharge certificates. Ox & Bucks.

52nd Buglers 1914

I also have about 100 Ox & Bucks pictures/ postcards.

100's of books.

Thanks for looking.

post-16197-090841700 1285074568.jpg

post-16197-002002000 1285074701.jpg

post-16197-063192300 1285074828.jpg

post-16197-079420100 1285074891.jpg

post-16197-088856500 1285074933.jpg

post-16197-038435200 1285074974.jpg

How about you members out there with ordnance collections, ammunition collections, blades I would love to look and learn.

regards

khaki

I like to display parts of my collection in photographs, and the rest of the time they tend to remain safely in storage.

I find it all rolls in together, the collecting, the research, the cleaning and restoration, and the photography - its such a great hobby.

Here is one of my group shots, and from top to bottom they are ....

P1913 Winchester made, dated 1916

P1907 Sanderson made, dated 1909

M1905 Rock Island Arsenal, dated 1917

P1913 Remington made, dated 1917

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-086337100 1285076795.jpg

And another group shot, from top to bottom they are ....

P1888 Sanderson made, dated 1894

P1888 Wilkinson made, dated 1896

P1888 Enfield made, dated 1898

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-044432600 1285109831.jpg

Edited by shippingsteel

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for sharing your collection, always pleasing to see family medals as well as collections, love those discharge certificates beautiful design, I wonder who the artist was?. I tried to read the soldiers name but couldn't enlarge it to make it readible. Maybe you could let us know the relationship of the medals to the certs and the watch fob?

regards

khaki

Hi S>S

Handsome display of blades, my first purchase was a 1907 pattern enfield bayonet that some local teens were trying to use as a throwing knife into a tree. I managed to get them to part with it for 10/-. Fortunately no harm was done to the bayonet. Your blades present well, you must have put time into them, I know the many hours and sore finger tips that I have invested cleaning blades. I would love to hear about your restoration techniques.

Thanks!

regards

khaki

Very nice, especially when relatives are honored & remembered

no collection is ever too small

regards

Bob R.

As requested my small display.

This cabinet is organised. The top medals and photographs are all relatives.

The second cabinet needs organising. I have ordered some jewellery pads to put the medals on.

The medals for the second cabinet.

Two honourable discharge certificates. Ox & Bucks.

52nd Buglers 1914

I also have about 100 Ox & Bucks pictures/ postcards.

100's of books.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks Khaki & Bob.

The certificates are both Ox & Bucks men, as is nearly all my collection! I unfortunately do not have the medals to go with them.

The medals and watch fob belonged to Ralph Mines. See this topic

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148973&st=0&p=1431175&fromsearch=1entry1431175

Never posted a link before, hope it works!

A little update.

My wife suggested using jewellery pads to display my medals on. They arrived today courtesy of eBay.

A quick layout - but I am pleased with it. :D

post-16197-046153500 1285153996.jpg

How about you members out there with ordnance collections, ammunition collections, blades I would love to look and learn.

regards

khaki

Unfortunately, for most of the time my smallarms ammunition collection stays locked away, for obvious reasons! However, some of it is allowed out occassionaly as at the recent exhibition of WWI arms and equipment at the HBSA August lecture at Bisley, where I put on a display of British military ammunition.

Sorry that the picture is low res., but Forum sizing prevents better. I will post some close ups in following posts.

For those interested you can see some more details here.

http://www.hbsa-uk.isonlinehere.com/home.php?page_id=52

Regards

TonyE

A couple more pictures.

Hiya,Tony.

What is the twin mag thingy on the bipod in the link?

D.W.M. esq.

Some of these photos will have been seen before but I will add them again as they are my favourites!

This is a sample of my Great War collection:

P1000545.jpg

P1000549.jpg

P1000555.jpg

These were taken in 2009 and I don't think I've got anything showing the more recent acquisitions (perhaps an excuse is needed to display it again!)

Regards

Richard

It is an Italian Villa Perosa machine gun (or early sub machine gun some classify it). Calibre is 9mm Glisenti, which is a lighter loaded version of the 9mm Parabellum. If you seearch the forum you should find a couple of threads about it.

Cheers

Tony

Is that weird twin mag thingy an Italien MG of Great War vintage if I recall corectly? Or am I hallucinating again?

TT

Edit..Tony beat me! I was on the right track at least.

TT

Like Tony, much of my collection cannot really be "displayed" all the time but I rotate a few through a display whilst the others remain in secure storage.

post-14525-081121900 1285203401.jpg

Evolution of British Infantry Rifles

P53 Enfield, Snider, Martini-Henry, Magazine Lee Enfield, Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield, Pattern 14 Rifle, Rifle No4 MkI

post-14525-011981900 1285203411.jpg

Selection of Indian Enfields from 1909-1988

post-14525-084493400 1285203424.jpg

Pre War Enfields 190?-1913 (including a NZ cadet .22 Conversion of a 1910 LSA)

Line-up of Australian No 1 MkIII and MkIII* rifles

post-14525-083405600 1285204377.jpg

Line up of the main combatants' infantry rifles (and associated pointy things).

post-14525-077857100 1285204458.jpg

Chris

Edit for typo.

Edited by 4thGordons

I am beginnig to think that are a lot of museums out there that have not done their inventory for awhile?? and also beginning to realize why there is a limited amount of WW1 stuff available, YOU GUYS HAVE IT ALL

most delightful & informative displays, keep them comming

Regards Bob R.

Line-up of Australian No 1 MkIII and MkIII* rifles

post-14525-083405600 1285204377.jpg

Line up of the main combatant's infantry rifles (and associated pointy things).

post-14525-077857100 1285204458.jpg

Chris

Great arms collections and displays, enjoyed the ammo display as well, very useful as a resource, I have always wondered why certain bayonets are harder to find than the rifles? congratulations to you all in preserving our Great War heritage.

khaki

All genuine examples of Pals badges and war raised units....

Ongoing project!

TT

post-15846-010521200 1285252220.jpg

Hi TT.

Enjoyed your badge display immensely, I guess all collectors of British WW1 memorabilia started life with a few badges and I would be surprised if most collectors didn't still have several tucked way somewhere. That's why I think that most collectors appreciate badge collections, particularly when most of us have only ever had a few of the rarer one's. That makes displays such as yours all the more appreciated as we are aware how hard it is to put it together.

Well done

khaki

Do other collectors suffer from what I call

" whatever I collect, it comes together nicely until the nth item of a total of n, leaving me with n-1 and a hole in the display?

Latest example is my Guards cloth badges: I was a happy bunny unitl I realised that a qualified Guards rangetaker wore R wreath in the 1930s, bullion on dark navy, on the scarlet tunic.

Others surely have the same sort of problem .... do tell us, we might have the very thing in the spares box.

[No SMLEs or VCs among my spares at the moment, but I do have what might be Lloyd George's top set of gnashers available]]

Do other collectors suffer from what I call

" whatever I collect, it comes together nicely until the nth item of a total of n, leaving me with n-1 and a hole in the display?

Others surely have the same sort of problem .... do tell us, we might have the very thing in the spares box.

Of course, I think that's a normal progression. I've got every major variant, and many minor ones, of my regiment's badges from 1883 to present, except the two known variants of one certain type (1883 glengarry badge). Whle waiting for those I've added other badges that were so rare as to not be on my radar (not even held by the regimental museum) or were previously not known by other collectors to even exist.

And while i wait for those badges to "complete" the series (accepting there will always be other minor variants out there), I dabble in medals to regimental soldiers, with a focus on the Great War.

So, anyone have a spare glengarry badge to The Royal Canadian Regiment (c. 1883) in their spares box?

post-23261-082948800 1285427384.jpg

I certainly would not object

Just need to learn how as I just lost all the photos I tried to post on the "sold down the river" thread

Plus, people possibly now need to know I can write short replies

SMG

All genuine examples of Pals badges and war raised units....

Ongoing project!

TT

Great to see the Liverpool Pals badges (and the silver officers) Do you have any of the silvers converted to broaches

as this was something done locally when the badges were ever returned to wifes and girlfriends. The one I had was

even hallmarked.

I had a full set and the collar dogs once, before I had to sell my huge genuine collection in the 70's

It would be a collectors dream now. Please dont ask, "my first wifes lawyers" should say enough