Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Guest roger0803

Khaki,

I believe that it is a Kiwi fern. Unfortunately it is a siver-coloured base metal rather than solid silver. I will try to post some close-up photos as soon as I can. I am off to Cambrai tomorrow, Will be staying at the Beatus Hotel and hoping to see tank Deborah 51 amongst many other things.

As far as I am aware, the badges were made and sold to soldiers, grieving relatives on a pilgrimage and as souvenirs to tourists. I presume some were made whist the war was on but the vast majority were produced after the war had ended and up to the 1930's. The majority of them are base metal but some are either silver or gold plated.

My interest in Ypres started after visiting the town about 10 years ago. I had been to Loos to pay my respects to my great-uncle, Private Horace Thomas of the Royal West Surrey Regiment, who is commemorated on the wall of Dud Corner Cemetery. I had discovered his medals and death penny amongst things that, believe it or not, my mother had earmarked for disposal. I researched his war service and, with the aid of the regimental museum at Clandon in Surrey, I obtained the records of his company's movements from the day that he landed in France until his death. I re-traced his footsteps, ending up at Dud Corner and placed a small wreath in his memory. I am sure that I was the first member of my family to be able to do so and it was a very moving moment that I shall never forget.

Purely by chance I then drove up to Ypres, via Armentieres, and was absolutely fascinated by the town itself and, particularly, the Menin Gate. I have since attended a number of Last Post ceremonies and visited many of the CWGC cemeteries. I bought an Ypres badge in a second-hand shop and that started my interest in collecting them. I have about 200 in total and it has taken about 10 years to build up the collection, mainly via Ebay.

I also collect postcards of the Menin Gate and have about 200 of them, which I store in one very full album. I think I have almost reached the limit on these and have recently started collecting WW1 silk postcards.

Forgive me if I have wittered on, I just thought that some background may be useful.

I will try to post some more badge photos next week.

• 2 weeks later...

My own mannequin went 'over the top' on the 11/11 having been invited to a fund raising event for 'Help The Hero's' which was held in a local church. For that reason he 'came in peace' without a weapon and clutching some wild poppies (silk actually). The organizer had him sat in the church porch so that he was seen by everyone as they entered and left, which was a great way of focusing the mind and I believe it was very well rec'ed.

When I returned to retrieve him the event was overrunning as I took this picture and from the jaunty angle of his cap I suspect someone could not resist trying it on. For info: the mannequin came via eBay trader sc_zzp in Germany who I can highly recommend. The skin tone is very pale by design, so after much consideration I chanced it and applied some tan boot polish on a cloth, carefully worked it in to suit and almost immediately got the sort of tanned complexion I was hoping to achieve. I chose this seated figure because of its rather thoughtful impression and also because it means the figure can cope with all the kit full loaded if required. Moving him is another matter!

Dave

PS after the event I was told some of the women quite fancied the chap!

post-23614-0-92235300-1321118750.jpg

Thanks Khaki, I have to admit he did the uniform & equipment proud and as you say lends himself to a variety of settings.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I'm delighted to report that since my seated mannequin attended the above fund raising event, a chance discussion with someone on the subject has directly led to it going into a local museum (Bakewell). They have acquired a second premises in the town and were already looking into the possibility of some sort of display featuring the towns involvement with the two world wars, so this is all very timely. The new premises should be open for business sometime around March - I'll keep you posted.

Dave Upton

I'm delighted to report that since my seated mannequin attended the above fund raising event, a chance discussion with someone on the subject has directly led to it going into a local museum (Bakewell). They have acquired a second premises in the town and were already looking into the possibility of some sort of display featuring the towns involvement with the two world wars, so this is all very timely. The new premises should be open for business sometime around March - I'll keep you posted.

Dave Upton

Hi Dave,

Congratulations on your local success story, Hopefully you will continue your close association with the museum, and encourage the town's involvement as we approach the 100th anniversary. As you have said, keep us posted.

regards

khaki

Wow Some nice collections here

well i will add one of my pride an joy

aussiewebkompleet1.jpg

The Commonwealth Pattern Service Dress Tunic and Slouch hat appear to be Lawrence Ordnance reproductions, it this correct?

What caused me to question is is the colour of the material and the buttons.

I love the Australian Pattern Leather Equipment. That is an awesome set you have put together.

What has changed with your displays, did Christmas impact on it? let's have a look please.

I posted this photo on another thread replying to a question about how I display my bayonets - some of my favourites are on constant display IN my coffee table.!

This nicely lined drawer is made to slide in under a glass topped display table, which also doubles as an everyday coffee (and magazine) table in our living room.

To the casual observer these are a collection of British made P1888 bayonets that were all made in the late 19th century (with the dates and makers as indicated)

The break over the Christmas / New Year period has given me a chance to catch up on some of my cleaning and maintenance procedures, and take a few photos.!

Cheers, S>S

255.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not really "displayed" but I was playing with a new flash today:

Allied Powers Rifles and Carbines

post-14525-0-77642300-1328411399.jpg

post-14525-0-81488100-1328411345.jpg

post-14525-0-57709100-1328411734.jpg

post-14525-0-16463600-1328411353.jpg

post-14525-0-05629000-1328411388.jpg

post-14525-0-37964300-1328411369.jpg

post-14525-0-07252000-1328411326.jpg

post-14525-0-56846600-1328411556.jpg

post-14525-0-27863400-1328411968.jpg

post-14525-0-99416000-1328411426.jpg

Chris

Not really "displayed" but I was playing with a new flash today:

Very effective - I like.! Not totally sure about the white background ... but the subject matter is very nicely presented (and illuminated) :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

A Few Central Powers Rifles and Carbines

post-14525-0-86520800-1328415671.jpg

post-14525-0-49865200-1328415683.jpg

post-14525-0-47574000-1328415691.jpg

post-14525-0-84204000-1328415701.jpg

post-14525-0-83588700-1328415711.jpg

post-14525-0-74780700-1328415719.jpg

post-14525-0-68555300-1328415731.jpg

Chris,

Yes, a great display. Are you photographing them indoors with just the flash lighting, or is it a combination of daylight and the flash ?

Leo

Chris,

Yes, a great display. Are you photographing them indoors with just the flash lighting, or is it a combination of daylight and the flash ?

Leo

Leo,

Thanks.

They were lit with a bounced fill flash and two softboxes, inside (at night!)

The background was white (now rather grubby!) felt.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see that Militaria Displayed has hit 20,000 views, it has become an enjoyable resource, must be getting close to a classic thread.

Keep it coming

khaki

Hi All

What a great displays, way out of my league, but here goes. When I first had my rifle, it was just propped up against the wall, then I decided to make a wall holder for it, decided to carve it out in the living room. my wife was pleased with all the wood shavings on the carpet :D ,

Regards.

Gerwyn

post-78506-0-79877200-1329573792.jpg

Hi Again

This is my soldier, if he looks a bit stiff, its because I made him from wood, chicken wire, old gloves, pipe lagging, old pair of boots and a polystyrene head.

Regards.

Gerwyn

post-78506-0-42952800-1329574607.jpg

post-78506-0-56887600-1329574699.jpg

post-78506-0-35603100-1329574735.jpg

Hi Again

This is my soldier, if he looks a bit stiff, its because I made him from wood, chicken wire, old gloves, pipe lagging, old pair of boots and a polystyrene head.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Not bad at all for a DIY improvisation!

Very creative use of material, with excellent effect, 'well done', some of the background collection looks interesting as well

khaki

ps The rifle rack looks pretty good too