Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Hi

Thank you both for your comments, the photos were taken when I first made it, the hardest part was cutting through the heals of the boots, then fitting 2+2 wood into them then, then securing them to the base, the base is fitted underneath with 5 metal rollers so it can moved. The collection as been added to since then, my car as come home looking more like Steptoe's cart.

Regards.

Gerwyn

• 3 weeks later...

Lads,

Keep the pics coming. Great looking at the collections of others. I will post mine in the next year or so... still finishing the room.

cheers

VR

Here are some pictures of the four SAA boxes I've recently completed for the display that I refer to in my above posting. The boxes are all made to instructions which you can get from Geoff Carefoot of Tommyspackfillers fame. In the first picture one of the boxes is part finished. Unhappy that trying to achieve a natural wood finish as per the originals would not work with the tanalized timber I chose to use, I have somewhat broken the rules and gone for a painted finish. If someome can tell me they were sometimes painted thus I'd be delighted.

post-23614-0-99292000-1331066618.jpg

This is one of the boxes finished.

post-23614-0-18865900-1331067324.jpg

This one shows my solution to the T handles of the lids. The originals are of brass and have a brass split pin attached. The lids have a cut-out in them so that the handle can sit flush within the cut out and out of harms way. This was a chiselling job too far for me, as was trying to make the handles out of solid brass. What you see here has been made out of left over lead sheeting from a roof flashing project. A cardboard template was made, from which a lead sample was produced. Pleased with the result I cracked on and made three more. They are simply painted gold. Unable to track down brass split pins of a suitable length, I made my pins from a length of brass brazing rod. On the original boxes the labels were shellaced to help preserve them from the elements. I've gone for the weathered with a tea bag look!

Dave Upton

post-23614-0-31341300-1331067444.jpg

A few weeks ago I completed a pair of Grenade Crates for the same display. Again these are courtesy of Geoff's plans.

Dave Upton

post-23614-0-44723400-1331068154.jpg

Hi Dave

Great work Mate, made with skill :thumbsup: .

Regards.

Gerwyn

• 4 weeks later...

I have to admit to being very please to be able to show where my collection and the repro ammo boxes have now come to rest. This picture was taken this afternoon in the latest tourist attraction in Bakewell town centre (Peak District); the Tanners Yard Museum which is situated in the heart of the town. Back in Nov last year I had a seemingly chance conversation with a man who unbeknown to me helped in the museum and this immediately led to the museum's curator getting in touch and the rest is history as they say. In addition to this area which attempts to give a flavour of WW1 there is also a comprehensive garage from the 1930's complete with Austin Chummy, a representation of a grocery shop and numerous other locally donated items helping to give a predominantly '30's/40's feel. The museum opens to the public on Good Friday.

Dave Upton

post-23614-0-66873700-1333380910.jpg

Hi Dave,

Great stuff, your boxes really add to the display, mannequin and related materials very eye catching.

regards

khaki

Many thanks. Because the collection is a mix of reproduction and some nice original pieces, I was keen to try and recreate a figure as I imagine he might have looked at the outbreak of the war - still wearing the stiff peaked cap and equipment still in very good order. I like to imagine a brief break is being taken in a route march forward. Visitors get to read through a folder of illustrated information which gives more details about the equipment worn, carried and on display in a cabinet adjacent to him.

Dave

Fantastic pics, I agree that it would be great for us collectors to show off our collection, loved the trench art cabinet, I'll try and get around to taking some of mine

Andy

Hi Dave

Why do people like you live so far away from me, the display you have done looks great.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Hi Dave

Why do people like you live so far away from me, the display you have done looks great.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Gerwyn,

What you need is a nice restful break in the great out-doors and where better than The Peak District, curiously just about in the centre of the country! I even know the perfect cottage you could stay in?

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Guest am sachsengang

hello There! I am glad to have the oppotunity to cheers the owner of this very impressive grouping of uniforms, I was realy surprised to fall on the Ulanka of Leuntnant Von gunther! indeed Iam also the owner of a tunic that belonged to Von Gunther, this is a magnificient ulanka worn during the parade circumstance, I'll be glad to post pics of the tunics a bit later, I also would appreciate to get in touch wit you in the way to share elements of Von Gunther biography

very best wishes Heinrich

As others have mentioned I rotate my uniforms periodically. I use Ronis Brothers dress forms (NYC). On the top, Thüringisches Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 6 (Hanau) XVIII Armee Korps Field Uniform, circa 1915, belonging to Leutnant von Günther. Buttonhole Ribbons for EK 2. Klasse 1914 and Bulgarien Militärerdiensordern. On the Chest is an EK 1. Klasse 1914. “T.U.R.6” is stamped in Sleeve Liner. Von Günther served after the Armistice in the 2. Freiwilligen Eskadron Ulanen Regiment Nr. 6 (Freikorps). The “CRIX” Cypher and Crown on the Shoulder Boards refers to King Christian of Denmark, honorary Chef des Thüringisches Ulanen-Regiment Nr.6.; on the bottom, Thüringisches Husaren-Regiment Nr.12 (Torgau) IV Armee Korps Officer’s Field Service M.1909 Attila, circa 1914, Husaren-Regiment Nr. 12 Officer’s ‘Crusher’ Schirmmütze, circa 1916 and M.1896 Paradebinde with Dreyse Holster, belonging to Leutnant Friedrich Karl Freiherr von Seckendorff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Heinrich,

I am looking forward to your photographs of Leutnant Von Gunther's uniform, I am sure that we would all enjoy the biographical details as well.

regards

khaki

• 3 weeks later...

I am just awed by the collections on display in this thread. Wow!

Here are a couple of shots of my collection that embraces the six Highland regiments.

My contemporary source of mannequins is Webster Displays who concentrates on small-size uniform mannequins. I suspect, however, that shipping costs to the UK may be pretty hefty.

How do your spouses feel about your collections? If I added one more mannequin, my wife would make me into a dead man without delay and have the collection sold while my body is still warm. In fact, she keeps the number for Bosley's Military Auctioneers in CAPS on her telephone contact list.

post-50252-0-41585100-1338832919_thumb.j post-50252-0-23882300-1338832931_thumb.j

Nice display of yours, I agree there are some wonderful and interesting collections out there and we have been fortunate that some of our members have shared them with us.

khaki

Wish I could help. Good Luck in your quest. cheers

• 3 months later...

I have to admit to being very please to be able to show where my collection and the repro ammo boxes have now come to rest. This picture was taken this afternoon in the latest tourist attraction in Bakewell town centre (Peak District); the Tanners Yard Museum which is situated in the heart of the town. Back in Nov last year I had a seemingly chance conversation with a man who unbeknown to me helped in the museum and this immediately led to the museum's curator getting in touch and the rest is history as they say. In addition to this area which attempts to give a flavour of WW1 there is also a comprehensive garage from the 1930's complete with Austin Chummy, a representation of a grocery shop and numerous other locally donated items helping to give a predominantly '30's/40's feel. The museum opens to the public on Good Friday.

Dave Upton

Hi Chaps.

I've resurrected this thread because I should hate someone having read this to go looking for the museum referred to in the above posting, because it’s just about to relocate! The Tanners Yard museum mentioned has now closed and the WW1 display is being moved to the main Bakewell museum, The Old House Museum, Cunningham Place, Off North Church Street, Bakewell. DE45 1DD.

See post #358 for photo of display.

http://www.oldhousemuseum.org.uk/

• 3 months later...

I have a number of photographs (postcard size) that I store in acid free drop top plastic (firm) envelopes. They certainly protect the photographs but as the number gradually increase I am at a loss to know how to store/arrange them in an accessible manner. I don't want to keep them in a drawer or shoe box and framing them does not seem to be the answer.

What do you suggest?

thanks

khaki