Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

I've scanned all my wifes family papers relating to the war. It took some time as there are so many, but now they are on the PC and filed its great the way you can bring them up whenever you want and the way they can be enlarged to aid reading some of the handwriting is fantastic. Save to a memory stick & keep it safe etc.

David

Great to see so many collections shown here, very many fantastic items and well presented. My collection is mostly WWII items and is sadly not very well displayed as yet.

Thanks David,

I have just started looking at various 'scanners', it might be the answer.

khaki

Sometimes simply photographing them is as effective (and almost always faster) - as done by many on here at the National Archives etc

The files can always be converted from images to PDFs with free software. I have an old digital camera set up on a copy stand permanently for this purpose and can do large numbers of documents pretty quickly.

The resoution of modern cameras means that they are often higher than scanners (and much quicker, at high res scanners are pretty slow) -- the only trick is getting the lighting correct/ensuring the documents are flat.

Chris

For what it is worth -- this recent thread might help.

I do quite a lot of photography and unless money is no object I would suggest that a careful used purchase from eBay or the like could provide what you need at a considerable saving (especially just after christmas when people are getting rid of their "old" cameras having received newer ones.

Chris

Actually I would have to agree with Chris' suggestion. I have made use of a really cheap digital camera with great results and looking back I don't know why I didn't just photograph my wife's dooccuments etc.

David

I have not posted in this thread due to the subject of display. Usually my displays are non existant or minimal with everything stored.

I am process of rectifying that and I have a few displays in process of being built (I had to build a seperate building to do so).

This is still a work in progress with a goal of having everything set-up by summer of 2013 with more shelves--plastered walls so I can hang posters, and displays were I can rotate uniforms.

This shows one corner with dressing forms having a Great War Russian Gymnastoirka with 1909 dated Furashka; Circa 15/16 Poilu wearing 3rd type Pioret Capote and all war correct accoutrements (dated or construction wise); 1918 dated British ORs dismounted MacKintosh Raincoat; Simplified US manufactured SD jacket cutaway modified with complete set of P14 equipment; 1918 Dated Leather Jerkin; Great War US Medics Display from 29th Div with Medic Belt completely filled IAW Regs along with a Medical Corps marked Cavalry Pack.

img2362vy.jpg

By the way the Russian Torso is standing on my copies of the RACD Pattern books covering about 30years of entries.

This is the other end of the Building--showing my Library. You can also see a Torse wearing KD to the 1/5 Essex, and another complete set of P14; to the right of that a 1914 era British ORs torso with all 1914 dated P08 equipment to include pre Oct 14 left hand pouch; and on extreme right a Torso representing a Machine Gunner with complete P08 Pistol Rig (special Belt, Brace adaptors, holster, ammo pouch--but no pistol yet) It has a wartime Cape and MGC Mask.

Around on the shelves I have lots of Helmets ankle boots etc.

img2361w.jpg

I have an old Hutch in the room too, where I display the History of the British Caps from 1903 to till 1918. Top to Bottom, Left to right I have: 1903 accepted RA Brodrick cap which has soldiers number and alos issue in 1903 markings; 1906 dated and accepted SD cap with third model(1908) chinstrap ID'd to a RGA Gunner (the Sealed pattern tag is to a cap cover and not the cap); 1915 dated SD cap (post 1912 modification, ID'd to a Pte. in the 5th BN CG, the cap also has a sun curtain as introduced in 1915; WSD "Gor Blimey"; WSD Waterproof cover; 1916 dated Soft SD cap then a Soft SD cap sweatband like the SD cap (only fixed on the bottom and not tacked down on top) with American Lining and Flannel sweatband (Not sure which of these two types came first but I tend to think the 1916 version); 1917 version of the Serge Soft SD cap (lining now all ameriacn cloth with sweatband completely sewn down inside) ID'd to PTE Ross MGC; 1st Type (1917) Gaberdine Soft SD cap with American Cloth Lining; 2nd Type (1918) Gaberdine Soft SD cap with all cotton Lining--dated 1918; Great War Tam--not dated but circa 1917/18 with RACD stamp of number over arrow over P.

The last three caps are my other passion--French Great War--The first is an Mle 1884 Kepi with Mle 1913 cover; the second is the 1st Type Mle 14 HB Kepi; and the last is what Mirouze calls a commercial type with two grommeted vent holes on each side in lieu of the more common round metal mutilhole studd as seen on the second kepi above.

img2551k.jpg

More to come

Joe Sweeney

Another Display that will go up is British Lancer OR (12th Lancers, 1st Class scout corporal) wearing 9 Pocket Cavalry Bandoleer and a SBR Bag modified for mounted use.

img1931web.jpg

img1930web.jpg

img1932web.jpg

This torso will eventually have the Waterbottle rig with messtin and also a 1917 dated other services Haversack

Joe Sweeney

I will also be rotating these variuos French Capotes into Display also:

mle143rdtype.jpg

mle14poiret2ndtype.jpg

p6300012.jpg

I also have a Mle 1877 Capote and complete correct Black pre-war Leather gear ( I say corect that not all French Black equipment is pre-war and most encountered is post war Armee De La Air). pantaloons and Gaiters.

Joe Sweeney

I also have a goal of completing my 1914 era French Coloniale (4 Reg't)--I need Kepi and Belt.

Here is Mle 73 Coloniale pattern Capote.

p6300003.jpg

mle73back.jpg

dateonmle73.jpg

Joe Sweeney

Joe,

What a great Collection you have tucked away! They are all excellent, and I particularly like the British OR Lancer's jacket.

Many thanks for sharing.

Regards,

LF

Scott,

Thanks for link--it is now saved.

Here are some of the Canadian Display potential.

Front and Back of Canadian SD jacket--post ~Sept 1914 version.

scan0002ki.jpg

Jacket to Pte Murray 216th Bn Canadian Bantams--Note shortened sleeves (I have his cap and Canadian made trousers too)

scan0003yz.jpg

Late War Canadian SD Jacket--Left Gnr Keigan 36th Bty and standard unmodified version (except buttons added to lower pocket flaps.

scan0001m.jpg

British made SD jacket belonging to Pte Cgapman 27th Bn and a Canadian made 1917 dated Jacket with 87th Bn insignia.

scan0005ow7.jpg

1916 dated Canadian made/pattern SD trousers.

scan0007t.jpg

Forever Scotland- (thats what is stamped on the lining withna white horse next to it)-Kilt for the 48th (15th BN CEF)

resizedkilt.jpg

resizedlabel.jpg

scan0010y.jpg

Canadian issue Balaklava

scan0004cd.jpg

Canadian Issue shirt 1916 dated:

scan0003bq.jpg

Necessaries

scan0008kn2.jpg

scan0007vk7.jpg

The Tags (very special in sentamental value to me) are to a Pte French of the 14th Bn. He was wearing these when he was gassed on the Battalions movement to the fromnt at Passchendaele.

Take care,

Joe Sweeney

PS I'll be in Ft Huachuca from 13 Januray to 8 March.

Hi Joe,

If you can get to Tucson I'll show you around where I work and I have a good pile of CEF and RFC here at the house you are welcome to see.. PM if you like.

Joe

Great to see some of the kit you have mentioned in the past. Congratulations on getting it displayed at last! I think you will enjoy it all the more for being out on show.

Best wishes,

W.

"I am process of rectifying that and I have a few displays in process of being built (I had to build a seperate building to do so)."

I have just completed a 34' x 17' building too. I can't wait to get it all fitted out so I can actually see my collection and other people can come and enjoy it too.

Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Taff

Absolutely fabulous collection Joe, and I can imagine what Taff's will be like when displayed. As a retired police officer can I please urge you to put security of the buildings at the forefront of your planning.

Dave

What this Thread confirms, is all the time, effort and cost being expended by those willing to make the effort to preserve these historically important artifacts for future generations to enjoy. I am also amazed at their excellent condition, being they are now, or will very soon be, 100 or more years old.

Very enjoyable Thread.

LF

"I am process of rectifying that and I have a few displays in process of being built (I had to build a seperate building to do so)."

I have just completed a 34' x 17' building too. I can't wait to get it all fitted out so I can actually see my collection and other people can come and enjoy it too.

Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Taff

Taff,

Amazing what we do to support our collecting obsessions. My Collection Shack is 24'X12' and two stories--I store stuff upstairs and have my office/library/Displays downstairs. The shack went up fast--I hired some Amish kids (literally) and the thing was up in 2 days.

What you really don't see is I have insulated the entire building and I'm in process of dry-walling plastering. Next step is more shelving in the corner where the torso forms are now--they will sit on top of the shelf ay sill level.

Second biggest effort is ensuring climate and insect control. When I had my stuff in storgae for about a year I had some moth damage--mostly minor but did affect one pair of SD trousers I had.

Biggest effort is keeping wife from using as storage--my shack is before you get to the garage/barn where we store most stuff. She has a habit of only making it to the Shack to store things---note in the one photo the pet cages.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your collection once it is in the building and displayed--I like seeing pictures what you have anyway when you've posted in the past.

Absolutely fabulous collection Joe, and I can imagine what Taff's will be like when displayed. As a retired police officer can I please urge you to put security of the buildings at the forefront of your planning.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks, yes security is a big concern and I've taken measures on securing the building. I also have geese and watch rooster roaming the outside (better than dogs). My bed room alos over looks the shack and I have clear field of fire and at least my wife (she's from wyoming and we live in a rural area) has no problems popping off a couple rounds at anyone roaming at night.

WF,

Thanks--yes now it makes comparing documents to articles much easier.

Scott,

I'll contact you off line in a few days. I'd like to see your collection.

All thanks again and have a Happy New Year

Joe Sweeney

Hi Joe.

Great material, please keep us updated as to how your room and displays come together. the same goes for you, Taff, as well!

regards

khaki

"Amazing what we do to support our collecting obsessions. My Collection Shack is 24'X12' and two stories--I store stuff upstairs and have my office/library/Displays downstairs. The shack went up fast--I hired some Amish kids (literally) and the thing was up in 2 days."

It certainly is Joe! The local Planning Department wouldn't let me go up two stories - or build a cellar for that matter. It has taken me ages to get this far as work keeps getting in the way and we don't have any Amish kids nearby!

"What you really don't see is I have insulated the entire building and I'm in process of dry-walling plastering. Next step is more shelving in the corner where the torso forms are now--they will sit on top of the shelf ay sill level."

I'm just in the process of insulating and planning where I need power and lighting.

"Second biggest effort is ensuring climate and insect control. When I had my stuff in storgae for about a year I had some moth damage--mostly minor but did affect one pair of SD trousers I had."

When my business partner, Kev, built his museum about ten years ago he spoke to the Imperial War Museum about climate control and they recommended a dehumidifier. However, I called the same department at the IWM a few months ago and they told me that they no longer recommend dehumidifiers as they can suck all the moisture out of fabric, leather, paperwork, etc and, instead, they recommended heaters controlled by a humidistat to cut in and keep the moisture in the air to an acceptable level. I expect that next year the advice will be different again but, in the meantime, I am looking into heating and humidistats.

"Biggest effort is keeping wife from using as storage--my shack is before you get to the garage/barn where we store most stuff. She has a habit of only making it to the Shack to store things---note in the one photo the pet cages."

I know that feeling. It's a big space and it's already full of junk which will be getting kicked outside as soon as the weather improves.

"I look forward to seeing pictures of your collection once it is in the building and displayed--I like seeing pictures what you have anyway when you've posted in the past."

I'm looking forward to it myself. I think that the biggest problem will be deciding what not to display instead of what to display. I guess that the answer is rotating them as you have said.

It's also not easy to find good, cheap mannequins. I'm sure that we all have the same problems finding ways to display complete uniforms. Over here most new shop display mannequins are way too tall and broad across the shoulders, let alone the fact that they are in completely unmilitary poses. Likewise, it is very hard to find good torsos with heads. There is definitely a gap in the market for good, cheap, mannequins and torsos - but making sure that they are made of something friendly to old kit as Scott has pointed out.

Glad you like the photos. I will try to find the time to photograph some of my SD Caps for the current British Badge Forum thread. It's been really useful - especially your info about the early cap straps. I bought a cap with a pre-1908 one a couple of years ago and, not knowing what it was, took it off and replaced it with a 1908 style strap. I have spent the last few hours trying to find what I have done with it!

Sadly they don't let us take pot shots at intruders around here!

Cheers,

Taff

Hello Taff,

I saw your caps you posted on the British badge forum, a stunning collection. I have yet to add a WWI cap to my collection but I hope to do so one day, either a Welsh regiment or Northhants as my Grandfather served with them during the Great war. Though he was Welsh, his father was from that area and I assume he joined his Fathers home regiment.