Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Looking good Mike.

I have not picked up anything of note recently but am on the look out.

We should get together again soon, I have a 33rd Div tunic that I'd like your opinion on.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'd love to take a look at your tunic and honestly, anything else you have laying around. Shoot me a message or email if you have a date in mind.

Thanks again,

Mike

• 1 month later...

A one off item, that I just like, its a very well made wall plaque in iron of Hindenburg about 12" tall.

khaki

post-29707-0-32824600-1405134041_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Thought I would share my latest uniform display, a Lieutenant Colonel of The Black Watch in Service dress. The jacket is labeled Lieut. Colonel Hon. Thomas HAE Cochrane who commanded the 2nd/7th Battalion The Black Watch. As the younger son of of the Earl of Dundonald, Thomas did not inherit the title but was awarded a peerage as 1st Baron of Cults in 1919. He did not serve overseas in WW1, but his son, Thomas George Frederick, won a DSO with the 2nd Bn being wounded three times. Thomas HAE Cochrane was a MP from North Ayrshire. He was Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department under Arthur Balfour between 1902 and 1905. A photo of Cochrane in 1897 at Parliament is also attached.

The Sam Browne belt and ankle boots are repro, but all the other items are genuine period items. Finding a full Sam Browne configuration especially in the required large size is nearly impossible. The jacket is unusual in that it has a closed front instead of the usual Highland cutaway pattern. Cochrane probably preferred the closed front because, as a field officer, he did not wear a kilt or a sporran. The cuff rank, as you can see, is the Scottish gauntlet style.

Hope this may be of interest.

phpWdcIaAAM_zps156254e6.jpgThomasHAECochrane1897_zps368d28b6.jpg

Hello gordon92,

Congratulations on your very interesting identified display, a real Great War treasure. Looks great.

khaki

When I saw the jacket for sale, I could not resist buying it despite the usurious price. I thought it was a treasure also even though Cochrane did not serve overseas. He was probably a bit old for that by 1914 as he was born in 1857 and lived to the ripe old age of 93 dying in 1951.

You're probably going to need a copy of this then too:

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/The-Honourable-Thomas-H-a-E-Cochrane-Posters_i10147302_.htm

Cheers,

GT.

Very nice, GT. Thanks. I may just order one. The page has his death date wrong as 1922 when he lived until 1951.

Here's a salutary warning for those displaying kit. My collection has been on loan in a local museum for nearly two years now and just today I heard there was a problem within the museum in that they had discovered some sort of beetle larvae among displays on an upper floor - mine being downstairs. Despite this fact, the museum is now having to go through a very drawn-out process to make sure they get on top of the infestation; something they tell me could take them two years to complete. Every single item of material is now being inspected, wrapped in acid-free tissue and then placed in a freezer at min -30 for three weeks. In my case I was wanting some of the kit for a presentation in early Nov so the museum have today got nine of my items into deep freeze, confident I will have them back in plenty of time.

I'm not sure how this sort of thing can ever be prevented from happening in the first instance unless the displayed kit is in some sort of sealed cabinet?

David

Unfortunately I have too little space and much is packed away.... but the wife gives me a bit of leeway in the computer room.... nowhere else....

Part2

part3

Part4

part5

post-748-0-93445300-1412184237_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-99622800-1412184359_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-13263700-1412184393_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-51746600-1412184432_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-02744300-1412184471_thumb.jpg

Hello Chris,

Lack of space is often a problem for most of us, storage and rotation helps somewhat, you certainly have some nice pieces there from what I can see, thanks for posting.

regards

khaki

Yes, my wife also places constraints on my display space. But, what are you gonna do?

Unfortunately I have too little space and much is packed away.... but the wife gives me a bit of leeway in the computer room.... nowhere else....

I have just shown your excellent photos to my Wife in the hope I may be allowed one or two things on display in my office. She said "NO" :(

Sepoy

Chris,

I can certainly understand why your wife restricts you just to the one room in the house !

What a great collection.

Regards,

LF

That has got some mouths watering, especially mine. I will be critical though, there is one thing that spoils it, the low energy light bulb aaarrrghhh.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would revive this thread by posting another one of my uniform displays. This is a Lieutenant of one of the Territorial battalions of The Black Watch. In the Black Watch it was only the Territorial battalions that wore lapel badges in service dress; the Regular and Service battalions did not wear lapel badges.

phpfEvFmwAM_zps95ee9190.jpg

The jacket is cuff ranked with four blue overseas service chevrons on the right sleeve (not visible in photo) and a wound stripe on the left sleeve. There is no label in the jacket, so its owner is speculative. I have done quite a bit of research on this and have culled down the owner to three likely possibilities. This was done by starting with all Lieutenants in the four Black Watch Territorial battalions and eliminating those who did not meet certain assumptions including 3+ years overseas service, a single wound occurrence, promoted from the ranks (since he was only a Lieut. at war's end), survived the war or was killed during 1918, did not win the MC, and was probably commissioned before 1916 (less likely to have had a cuff rank jacket made by that date). This elimination process left these three likely owners:

1. Watson, Percy Thomson: #2254; entry 23.2.15; Pte 4th Bn, L/Cpl; 2/Lieut 11.8.15 4th Bn; to 4th/5th Bn 28.4.17, Lieut 1.7.17; wounded 31.7.17.

2. Lang, David: #2152; entry 24.2.15; Pte 9th Royal Scots; 2/Lieut 16.8.15 7th Bn, to 1st Bn 10.1.17, to RE 14.2.17, Lieut 1.7.17, rejoined 7th Bn 29.10.17; wounded 28.7.16.

3. Young, Francis Edward: #2163; entry 2.5.15; L/Cpl RH, Cpl; 2/Lieut 8.9.15 6th Bn, T/Lieut 7.9.16, Lieut 15.1.17; wounded 28.7.18.

The Tam O'Shanter bonnet is labeled to "F.G. Shand 4/5 Black Watch". This is Lieut. Francis Graham Shand 1896-1971 residing most of his life in Killearn, Stirlingshire. His military biography is:

Lieutenant Francis Graham Shand: commissioned 2/Lieut. 18.11.14 7th Battalion; Temp/Lieut. 20.5.15; Lieut. 1.6.16; to 4th/5th Battalion 18.8.17 and entered France/Flanders; awarded Military Cross 26.11.17; wounded 30.3.18.

Citation for Military Cross from Supplement to London Gazette, 5 April 1918, Issue 30614, page 4227: Lt. Francis Graham Shand, R. Highrs:

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Finding himself early in the attack the only officer left in his company, with only a very few men, he showed the greatest gallantry and coolness throughout. He kept the situation well in hand in spite of the heaviest machine-gun and shell fire. His coolness and courage were the means of maintaining the position of the right flank of the battalion."

The action for which Shand won his MC was at Passchendaele on 26 September 1917. There is no indication in the war diary of the 4th/5th Black Watch that he ever returned to the war theatre after his wound.

I hope this may be of interest.

Adding a few of my WWI period items of headgear.

MKI Brodie helmet, 1917 version.

post-91897-0-25420000-1416841787_thumb.j

post-91897-0-01017400-1416842086_thumb.j

Monmouthshire regiment OR's forage cap 2nd Bn 1909 issued.

post-91897-0-72735900-1416841940_thumb.j

post-91897-0-88202500-1416841994_thumb.j

Royal Artillery Officers forage cap, Territorial force, 1908 to 1917

post-91897-0-63034100-1416842217_thumb.j

post-91897-0-29930200-1416842263_thumb.j

Staff officers cap, named to E.F.Morgan 2nd Viscount Tredegar, ex Welsh Guards.

post-91897-0-19339100-1416842449_thumb.j

post-91897-0-80706000-1416842486_thumb.j

In the Black Watch it was only the Territorial battalions that wore lapel badges in service dress; the Regular and Service battalions did not wear lapel badges.

Just a quickie to say I thought that needed qualifying a bit with 'for the period of the war'. Bronze collars were in Dress Regulations ("As for the doublet, in bronze") for wear with 1902 Pattern Service Dress, and it was a post-war questionnaire that revealed that they weren't worn for the duration.

On that basis, I suppose it's conceivable that one could encounter an early war-worn SD jacket with collar badges. Regimental histories for the 1914 period I'm sure would have photos confirming or refuting that accordingly.

Cheers,

GT.

Just a quickie to say I thought that needed qualifying a bit with 'for the period of the war. Bronze collars were in Dress Regulations ("As for the doublet, in bronze") for wear with 1902 Pattern Service Dress, and it was a post-war questionnaire that revealed that they weren't worn for the duration.

On that basis, I suppose it's conceivable that one could encounter an early war-worn SD jacket with collar badges. Regimental histories for the 1914 period I'm sure would have photos confirming or refuting that accordingly.

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks for the note. I was unaware of the questionnaire you mention. Would you have a reference as I would be interested?

You raise an interesting point, and you are quite right about the Dress Regulations. Out of curiosity I took a look at photos of regular BW officers to see if lapel badges were worn pre or post War. The photo in post #1 of http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217605&page=1 showing 1st Bn officers immediately pre-WW1 reveals no collar badges in service dress. The first photo below from the early 1920s shows the officers also without lapel badges as does the second photo from 1957. So, it appears the result of the questionnaire had no influence on forcing compliance to the Dress Regulations. The 1934 DRs also indicate the "As for doublet, Bronze" regarding collar badges for the service dress jacket. This reminds me of a good friend who served with the Cameron Highlanders in WW2 and whose father was in the Camerons during WW1 and said that "the DRs are best regarded as merely papers that happened to have writing on them."

BWLtBWMVMMajMCQSATrioCorononationMajQSAK1BW6Oct1957_zps6c4aa42c.jpg

Thanks for the note. I was unaware of the questionnaire you mention. Would you have a reference as I would be interested?

It's referred to in Colin Churchill's History of the British Army Collar Badge (I think most homes have a copy, no?) in the Black Watch chapter pp. 186 - 189.

Cheers,

GT.

It's referred to in Colin Churchill's History of the British Army Collar Badge (I think most homes have a copy, no?) in the Black Watch chapter pp. 186 - 189.

Cheers,

GT.

I think I shall have to move my home from its backward state into the mainstream and obtain a copy of Churchill. Thanks, GT.

This is a Lieutenant of one of the Territorial battalions of The Black Watch.

gordon92,

Great display as usual, I spotted this very nice WW1 Black Watch officer's painting, in which he is wearing a Black Watch officer's uniform which I am sure you are familiar with.

Regards,

LF

Here are the details of the painting :-

Captain Talbert Stevenson, MC and Bar 4th/5th Battalion The Black Watch (killed in action, 14th November 1917)

by Anton Abraham van Anrooy ( Oil on canvas , 90 x 69.5 cm )

• Captain Talbert Stevenson was the son of the proprietor of the leading Dundonian dye works Francis Stevenson & Sons and was killed by sniper fire in 1917 aged 22 when serving with The Black Watch in the First World War. Talbert Stevenson is one soldier who features in Joseph Gray's 'After Neuve Chapelle'. This painting of Stevenson was shown at the Fine Art Exhibition in the sitter's native Dundee in 1920.
  • C/o The Black Watch Castle & Museum

post-63666-0-22956900-1416865119_thumb.j