Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

I don't have the room for the spectacular displays posted above but here is my "Junk Room" / "Museum" (depends who you are talking to!)

post-14525-0-38351500-1433643953_thumb.j

post-14525-0-73027000-1433643953_thumb.j

Of course given the nature of my main collection most have to be stored at a secure location.

post-14525-0-03104900-1433644073_thumb.j

Some badges,titles and buttons from the Irish Regiments I have some medals but will have to frame them.

Regarsd,

Murrough.

:

Lovely display,how long did it take you.I would like to start similar collection,any tips would be appreciated

Regards

Gerry

4thGordons

Most impressive. Wish I had such a room instead of invading the dining room and landing.

I could do more displays but for room.

Well done on your collection.

TT

My better half would have a FIT................... :w00t:

If I had an area or two like 4thGordons where I could disappear too, my wife would appreciate the peace and quiet...........

Very impressive, Chris. Are any of your Gordon artifacts attributed?

Very impressive, Chris. Are any of your Gordon artifacts attributed?

Only the various medals and oddments of paperwork I have picked up really. Some of the doublets do have names inked in them and I have a trench lighter that is engraved to a 1/4th man and a cigarette case etc but mostly no they are not.

Chris

:

Lovely display,how long did it take you.I would like to start similar collection,any tips would be appreciated

Regards

Gerry

Hi Gerry, it took a couple of years, mostly purchased on ebay and at markets/boot sales, always try to buy genuine items and join the British Badge Forum for tips and advice on how to spot the real article.http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.phpalso members there sell good items at reasonable prices.

Regards,

M.

Thank you Murrough,

That's great advice particular the British badge forum.

Regards

Gerry

• 1 month later...

Wall mounting belts and accessoriespost-29707-0-69928300-1437495704_thumb.j

post-29707-0-98133000-1437495735_thumb.j tension released

post-29707-0-66777600-1437495779_thumb.j

This is how I achieve a pleasing wall mount with ease, in the first image you can see I have made a simple 2.5" 'shelf' with two dowels set at a distance apart to allow belt tension. I have also made two wall brackets out of simple strap iron (I left one exposed so you can see it) the exposed length of the dowels is equal to the width of the belt. This prevents the belt from sagging and allows for complete tension. The advantage of this display style is that it provides for greater dimension and also with a narrow platform 2.5" ,accessories such as pouches, holsters, sword hangers etc can hang naturally and freely.

khaki

post-29707-0-52260300-1437502444_thumb.j

Here is an officers (British) rig that is already wall mounted sorry I couldn't quite get the shoulder cross strap in, but you can see that the holster etc

can hang freely as described.

khaki

ps sorry, I thought that it would be clearer than that, however the rear sword strap runs through a cut out in the platform so that it hangs in a natural manner.

(k)

Very innovative displays, khaki.

Can you say more about how you made the wall brackets? I am tempted to try something similar.

The brackets that I make are very simple in design and construction and are meant to hold lightweight items. I generally purchase half inch strap iron, usually in 3' lengths. Easily found at any of the larger hardware chains. I simply add the desired measurements of the 'shelf' front usually half to three quarters of an inch, the base say two and a half and the rear arm vertical and above the shelf at least three inches. I am always a bit generous with the width and allow an extra eighth of an inch so that the fit is not too snug. Scribe the location of the intended cut and bend marks and cut off the total length required with a hacksaw. File down each end removing sharp edges. Center and punch location of required screw holes and drill same. file & countersink screw holes.

post-29707-0-91274300-1437605984_thumb.j base showing small screw holes for securing & preventing movement of shelf

post-29707-0-70527900-1437606021_thumb.j side view

post-29707-0-75647700-1437606104_thumb.j angle view showing hole for securing to wall.

Secure strap at scribed bend marks in an engineers vice and hammer the front and rear arms at 90 degree angles to the base, applied heat will assist.

Tools I use,

Hacksaw

file

scriber

drill press

vice

heavy ballpeen hammer

The illustrated brackets were made for other purposes so the dimensions are different than described, but illustrate what I mean.

I don't have the room for the spectacular displays posted above but here is my "Junk Room" / "Museum" (depends who you are talking to!)...

Must show those photographs to my wife next time she complains about my cabinets with drawers of bayonets and the hanging display, all of which are confined to my 'hovel' - the passage leading to the balcony doorway...

attachicon.gif0721151106.jpg

Here is an officers (British) rig that is already wall mounted sorry I couldn't quite get the shoulder cross strap in, but you can see that the holster etc

can hang freely as described.

khaki

ps sorry, I thought that it would be clearer than that, however the rear sword strap runs through a cut out in the platform so that it hangs in a natural manner.

(k)

Hard to tell from the picture, yet it looks like you may have the 1901 Naval Other Ranks pistol pouch with your set-up rather than an officer's item.

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1901/components/1901_ammunition_carriers.html

Cheers,

GT.

Hello GT,

You have a good eye, you are exactly right, I sometimes change things around for amusement, I had wondered although never seen evidence of it whether Naval Officers in the RND

would have used this combination.

regards

khaki

The brackets that I make are very simple in design and construction and are meant to hold lightweight items. I generally purchase half inch strap iron, usually in 3' lengths. Easily found at any of the larger hardware chains. I simply add the desired measurements of the 'shelf' front usually half to three quarters of an inch, the base say two and a half and the rear arm vertical and above the shelf at least three inches. I am always a bit generous with the width and allow an extra eighth of an inch so that the fit is not too snug. Scribe the location of the intended cut and bend marks and cut off the total length required with a hacksaw. File down each end removing sharp edges. Center and punch location of required screw holes and drill same. file & countersink screw holes.

attachicon.gif0722151526.jpg base showing small screw holes for securing & preventing movement of shelf

attachicon.gif0722151525.jpg side view

attachicon.gif0722151524.jpg angle view showing hole for securing to wall.

Secure strap at scribed bend marks in an engineers vice and hammer the front and rear arms at 90 degree angles to the base, applied heat will assist.

Tools I use,

Hacksaw

file

scriber

drill press

vice

heavy ballpeen hammer

The illustrated brackets were made for other purposes so the dimensions are different than described, but illustrate what I mean.

Many thanks for this, khaki.

• 1 month later...

I am reviving this thread, not with a new contribution unfortunately, but rather with a question.

How are professional display artists able to prop a cap under an arm on a display form and keep the headgear from falling? Same question for affixing a uniform sleeve to the body of the jacket? See photo below for examples.

Is there some kind of non-destructive cement that is used?

If anyone has any insights on this, I would be grateful if you would clue me in.

Mike

Display_zpsei7smnsu.jpg

Hello Mike,

When I was doing framing I displayed a lot of relatively heavy pieces in shadow boxes including uniforms, books etc, We never NEVER used glue, everything had to be reversible without damaging the material. What was done was I sewed the items in place using very fine nylon filament (fishing line) ensuring that the weave wasn't damaged in the process.

However even that in my opinion is inappropriate with old (100 years) uniforms which ideally should be stored flat on acid free paper with temperature/humidity/ light free controlled environment. There is even a special cleaning process prior to storage.

I would think that these days a lot of uniform displays as you described may well include or be completely reproduction. If the need arises to display a cap with a blouse I would display the cap separate from but next to the blouse.

These are just the things that I might do, but I highly recommend that an enquiry with the Smithsonian, West Point Museum or Imperial War Museum would be the place to start.

regards

khaki

Sorry, I missed your question about the helmet/sleeve, again what I would do would be to design and build a platform that would sit inside the helmet, perhaps mounted on 2" wooden dowel and attached to the wooden plug or neck that most mannequins have. It's all about illusion and concealment with a lot of experimenting to make the day longer.

The sleeve I would think to be quite easy, I would insert a wire 'arm' attached at the shoulder of the mannequin and stopping an inch or so short of the cuff, make sure it is of sufficient gauge to take the sleeve weight but can still be bent with ease. Once the jacket is on the mannequin reach inside the sleeve and bend the elbow to the desired angle.

khaki