Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Repro. Lee Enfield?

Mike

I also applaud the grandness of the display.

Repro -- I am guessing one of the pairs of boots.

No expert, but I would echo Mickey - the wood on the rifle looks very new...

But a very nice scene nonetheless.

James

Sandbags are all new, perhaps obviously.

All the boots are period.

And the SMLE is an original, fantastic condition, 1916 example!

Cheers,

GT.

Envelope style mess tin cover on the guy with the pick - strap loops look a bit too long and thin ?

It's fine, with some nice markings. Possibly just the camera angle - got a bit fish-eye in there.

o

It's fine, with some nice markings. Possibly just the camera angle - got a bit fish-eye in there.

Maybe I just wanted it to be fake - it does look like an exceptional piece.

Speaking as a collector who's struggled to get a single, stand alone mannequin looking half decent, I can only admire the skill and passion that's gone into creating such a fine tableau. Congratulations to all involved.

Manxy

Many thanks.

There's more to be had at the show at Whitgift School in Croydon: http://www.remembering1916.co.uk/

The German set up isn't bad either. Supposed to be a night scene - here shot twice, once as is, and once for detail. Again, it's the hands that are the nuisance - but not the budget for anything more flexible.

Remembering%201916%20German%20Diorama%20

Remembering%201916%20German%20Diorama%20

Cheers,

GT.

The IWM could learn a lot for their new (new? absent??) trench experience...

IMHO

Bravo, you guys.

James

The IWM could learn a lot for their new (new? absent??) trench experience...

IMHO

Bravo, you guys.

James

Thanks also.

If the IWM is paying attention - I doubt it, as I perceive its hubris to be great - then the lead design & build on the three dioramas (there's a French at Verdun too) was Michael Baldwin, author of the Feldzug series. http://www.amazon.co.uk/FELDZUG-1914-1-Michael-Baldwin/dp/1624074510/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1458031081&sr=1-8

An extraordinarily creative bloke, and an absolute Stakhanovite when it came to delivering these scenes.

Core content, and throughout the exhibition, came from a tight set of perhaps six or so collections.

Cheers,

GT.

A fantastic display,we had a travelling display called SPIRIT OF ANZAC come to Adelaide from the A.W.MUSEUM I for one was disappointed

with it.Yours on the other hand is superb.gronksmil.

Cloth helmet cover for the repro perhaps?

great display.you must have a big house........ :whistle:

Many thanks for all the kind remarks.

The exhibition was due to close in September, yet I am now told by Whitgift that there's an intention to extend that to December if possible.

http://www.remembering1916.co.uk/

Cloth helmet cover for the repro perhaps?

It's a good un as far as we know/ can tell.

Cheers,

GT.

Excellent, excellent a labour of love that has paid dividends given the quality of exhibition! A pity I live so far away.

regards

Mark

Thanks also.

If the IWM is paying attention - I doubt it, as I perceive its hubris to be great - then the lead design & build on the three dioramas (there's a French at Verdun too) was Michael Baldwin, author of the Feldzug series. http://www.amazon.co.uk/FELDZUG-1914-1-Michael-Baldwin/dp/1624074510/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1458031081&sr=1-8

An extraordinarily creative bloke, and an absolute Stakhanovite when it came to delivering these scenes.

Core content, and throughout the exhibition, came from a tight set of perhaps six or so collections.

Cheers,

GT.

An absolutely stunning achievement in terms of accuracy, detail and cooperation between collectors and the venue....something I hope to see in person before it ends.

All the best

Paul.

Thought I would share my latest uniform display. This is the pre-war blue serge patrol jacket and MacKenzie tartan trews worn by Lieutenant Lewis MacLellan M.C. (b.1894 - d.1917) of the 1st/5th Battalion Highland Light Infantry shown in the first photo below. The tailor's label indicating a Feb 1914 manufacture is in the second photo.

Here are some salient facts regarding Lt. MacLellan:

• Second Lieutenant 14 November 1913 from OTC Kelvinside Academy, Glasgow;
  • Temporary Lieutenant 22 October 1915;
  • Temporary Captain 28 January 1916
  • Awarded Military Cross 22 March 1918 for action at Wadi el Hesi near Gaza on night of 8-9 November 1917;
  • Killed in action at Beit Ur al Tahta (Beth Horon the Lower) 30 November 1917 during Jerusalem campaign.

Lt. MacLellan is seen in the officer group photo dated March 1914 sitting on the ground second from left (facing); he is almost certainly wearing the uniform now in my possession. The last photo is of Lt. MacLellan's grave at Ramleh War Cemetery near Lod in present day Israel.

This is a partial account of the action where Lt. MacLellan was killed at Beit Ur al Tahta 30 Novenber 1917 in the Judean Hills about 12 miles northwest of Jerusalem (from The Fifth Battalion Highland Light Infantry in the War 1914 - 1918 by F.L. Morrison):

The ridge was about 1400 feet high, covered with rocky out-croppings and fell sheer away to the valley below; the same valley which saw the slaughter of the Amorites that day when Joshua stayed the sun's going down. The enemy held the ridges across the valley and from them directed an accurately ranged machine-gun fire in enfilade. No trenches could be dug..........The Battalion had taken over from the Australians by 01.00 and at 03.00 the enemy began his attack. A succession of bombing rushes came up the hill and engaged the whole line. These were repulsed by bomb and rifle fire but not without loss. On the left, Bloody Post, a little in advance of the sangar, took its toll of the defenders. Captain Campbell was hit, Lieut. M'Lellan was killed instantaneously by a bullet, Lieut. Pitchford got a bomb splinter through his steel helmet, and No. 1 company was left with one officer.

The display should have him wearing Wellington boots with the strapped trews; but, unfortunately, fitting such boots onto the mannequin's unbending legs and feet is an impossibility.

I hope all of this may be of interest.

20160405_091334_zpsm7cmj5e8.jpg

MacLellan%20label_zpsfbommtox.jpg

illus03_zpsoapnbkq9.jpgMaclellan_L_zpsh35xuy2w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've commented in the Verdun thread. This exhibition at Whitgift is a must see for anyone with an interest in the Great War. I has nearly everything that I wanted to see at the IWM and found left out! So go to this exhibition instead.

Very nice MacLellan collection/display, a suggestion, would the addition of blackened leather leggings assist with what you are trying to achieve in lieu of wellingtons ?

regards

khaki

Very nice MacLellan collection/display, a suggestion, would the addition of blackened leather leggings assist with what you are trying to achieve in lieu of wellingtons ?

regards

khaki

Khaki.....Unfortunately, leather leggings do not extend below the ankles, and, thus, they would not hide the shoe laces. I appreciate the thought though.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

This is my most recent uniform acquisition: Corporal D. Reid, 11th Battalion Gordon Highlanders. Cpl Reid did not serve overseas during the Great War, as far as I am able to ascertain, and spent the entire war with the 11th Gordons, a training battalion, and its successor units. All uniform items are authentic except for the repro boots. The drum was a separate acquisition from years ago and dates from between the Wars.

Provenance: The collection of the late Joe Sweeney.....RIP, Joe.

SANY0365_zpsnbyxp6ph.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a superb idea. Since many of our museums (UK) are now sadly being 'modernised' as it were, less and less items of militaria are on display. More videos and walls covered in text are taking over. It's a crying shame that the militaria items are being hidden away as surely that's the point of visiting a museum. You can read the rest in books or on the net. The last bastion of British museums, the imperial war museum has now suffered the same fate. I was shocked when I visited the iwm a few weeks ago and vowed I would never step foot in that place again which is sad as I made twice yearly pilgrimages there every year. Without exaggerating I have 10 times more on display just in my first world war collection and I am a person of only reasonable means, certainly not a multi millionaire (unfortunately haha). I'm currently having a large extension built on my house to rehouse my collection and hope to open it to local schools for free (I'm a head teacher of a school myself).

I know this all probably looks like a rant, it isn't intended to be so. I simply think that the sharing of one another's militaria displays is a fantastic idea (but at the same time understand the security issues).

Kind regards to all

Andy

Whitgift school display..... I'm in awe..... Absolute awe! I wish I had all of that space. Wow. A genuinely superb effort gents. Hopefully when I win the lottery I will have so much space to set out my collection haha. Well I now know which museum I'll be visiting next! A school!

Well done.

Andy