Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Just a small point, the ribbon on the WW1 stars should have red edge first, then white then blue!

Tony

Thanks Tony for pointing it out I will sort it out, I should really have noticed that.

Tim

Just arrived, I have been looking for a nice one for quite a while, M1901 British Naval revolver ammo pouch marked H.G.R.1916, I have not looked up the manufacturer yet, but will do so unless someone can tell me.post-29707-0-84153900-1429725802_thumb.jpost-29707-0-22969000-1429725841_thumb.j

khaki

Just arrived, I have been looking for a nice one for quite a while, M1901 British Naval revolver ammo pouch marked H.G.R.1916, I have not looked up the manufacturer yet, but will do so unless someone can tell me.attachicon.gif0422151044.jpgattachicon.gif0422151045.jpg

khaki

"Hepburn, Gale & Ross" - one of the most prolific manufacturers of leather equipment in the Great War period.

From left to right US Army doughboy (Signal Corps). Prussian Pickelhaube 1915?, Royal Scots and British cap Royal Fusiliers. plus assorted belts etc

photographed through glass.

khaki

post-29707-0-38683600-1430413400_thumb.j

Nice display, khaki. I was unaware that the U.S. Army campaign hat had a chin strap. Am I seeing that correctly?

Many thanks.

Yep, the campaign hat had a narrow chinstrap that ran under the band and through two holes, frequently worn at the back of the head, especially in later years. Early campaign hats were withdrawn soon after arriving in France, I did read somewhere they were cut up into hospital slippers but I do not know for sure. I believe that some surviving examples made their way to various military academies

khaki.

Many thanks.

Yep, the campaign hat had a narrow chinstrap that ran under the band and through two holes, frequently worn at the back of the head, especially in later years. Early campaign hats were withdrawn soon after arriving in France, I did read somewhere they were cut up into hospital slippers but I do not know for sure. I believe that some surviving examples made their way to various military academies

khaki.

To this day, the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University still wears campaign hats from time-to-time.

• 4 weeks later...

post-29707-0-03928500-1432655925_thumb.jpost-29707-0-09742200-1432655950_thumb.jInteresting 'ditty bag' measures about 10"x12" draw string top, cotton? material not much else to tell you apart from the markings, but thought you might find it interesting.

khaki

Thanks Khaki the first one I have seen.

Thank you Mark for your reply, I am glad it was of interest to you, like yourself I have never seen one before. I purchased it locally, its in very good condition and I placed it in a frame out of direct light to conserve it.

regards

khaki

Last one for today, for your viewing pleasure,

Field Clinometer Mark VI, Taylor Taylor & Hobson 1918 together with its case.

khaki

post-29707-0-08787400-1432674690_thumb.j

khaki, on 26 May 2015 - 7:00 PM, said:

Thank you Mark for your reply, I am glad it was of interest to you, like yourself I have never seen one before. I purchased it locally, its in very good condition and I placed it in a frame out of direct light to conserve it.

regards

khaki

Khaki,

it is possible to buy glass that filters out UV light ( the wavelength of light that causes fading) so that you can display items where you want rather than dictated to by sun light.

David

Thanks David,

I am familiar with UV glass, and you are right it is the ideal material for ultimate protection, but it is quite expensive, and being the miserable collector that I am , I (like others) can be found displaying a $100 item in a $5 frame.

By the way, as most married collectors know, 'sunlight' is not the only thing that dictates where you can hang your treasures????

thanks again

khaki :(

khaki, on 02 Jun 2015 - 7:31 PM, said:

Thanks David,

By the way, as most married collectors know, 'sunlight' is not the only thing that dictates where you can hang your treasures????

thanks again

khaki :(

I've learnt by experience and use compromise as a solution...... She says no and I agree :hypocrite: ..... unfortunately the things we like to see scattered around the house don't coordinate with 'their' 'decor' :wacko: Still, my 'work around' is to have a few things displayed on homemade magnetic mounts, so I can change the object quickly and easily with an item that been stored, out of sight in a darkened cupboard or drawer ( a UV safe environment too, bonus)

All the best

David

It's hard to understand the mindset, I would have thought that screw pickets just blend in with any décor

khaki

I have reconfigured my uniform displays within the constraints imposed by my wife. :( Thought I would post pictures here. Hope they may be of interest.

phpLjjUdAPM_zpsdd8lv801.jpg

L-to-R: Lt. Francis Graham Shand, 4th/5th Bn The Black Watch in service dress with wound stripe; QMS Edwin Wilkins, 1st Bn The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders c1912 (later Qmr 6th Camerons 1914-1918); unidentified Pte, 1st Garrison Bn Seaforth Highlanders in tropical dress for Salonika c1917 with wound stripe; Lt. Col. Hon. Thomas HAE Cochrane, 2nd/7th Bn The Black Watch in service dress; Lt. Arthur Henry Carr Sutherland, 2nd Bn The Black Watch in levee dress c1914 (later wounded at Aubers Ridge 9 May 1915).

phpvR11vaPM_zps1pxhsott.jpg

L-to-R: unidentified sergeant, 2nd Bn The Black Watch in Egypt/Palestine late 1930s; Lt. (later Bt Lt Col) John Evelyn Thornhill DSO, 2nd Bn Seaforth Highlanders (later commanded 8th seaforth); unidentified Lt. in mess dress, The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders c1930s; unidentified C/Sgt, 1st Bn Gordon Higlanders in cold weather review order for India c1890s.

phpCweEyuPM_zpstlxw41ng.jpg

L-to-R: Cpl. Charles Arthur Irvine in drill order 1883, 1st Bn Seaforth Highlanders (medal ribands for 2nd Afghan War, Kabul to Kandahar, Egypt 1882); Col. Richard Archibald Bulloch DSO, The Black Watch in patrol dress c1930s (commanded 4th/5th Bn during the war); unidentified Pte, Argyll & Sutherlanders in full dress c1912.

One more that wouldn't fit into previous post. This is the only part of my collection that wife allows me to keep downstairs.

phpMipzTfPM_zpscbtlncwi.jpg

L-to-R: 2nd Lt. Archibald Smith Sligo, 1st Bn The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders in drill order 1914 (later killed on the Aisne 14 Sept 1914); unidentified Pte, 13th Battalion CEF, Royal Highlanders of Canada c1918 with two wound stripes.

And so it grows!!!

All Notts & Derby. The wife thinks I'm running out of room, but..........

post-115486-0-02622300-1433523900_thumb.

And so it grows!!!

All Notts & Derby. The wife thinks I'm running out of room, but..........

Any notable service history for any of the sets? Who is in for the surprise when you grow into the next case, you or your wife?

Both, very nice.

TT

Any notable service history for any of the sets? Who is in for the surprise when you grow into the next case, you or your wife?

Regarding the history, I'm not sure at the moment, I've got the MIC's for them all, but not any service history as yet. Pride of place is the 14 trio. And as for "surprises", I'm in the market for another display case!!!!!!

One more that wouldn't fit into previous post. This is the only part of my collection that wife allows me to keep downstairs.

phpMipzTfPM_zpscbtlncwi.jpg

L-to-R: 2nd Lt. Archibald Smith Sligo, 1st Bn The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders in drill order 1914 (later killed on the Aisne 14 Sept 1914); unidentified Pte, 13th Battalion CEF, Royal Highlanders of Canada c1918 with two wound stripes.

Wow!!