Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Hi Oz and ALL, another section of the room.OZ,the emu photo only has emu and friend on the back of the pic,it is a great photo though. The tin is a modern one from a London store given to me by a English friend,though I do have a few P.M.tins with contents including one with the wrapper and remnants of the acid drop block. Also my flying duck bayonets in formation and some of my i.d. tag collection. Cheers Mike.post-45426-0-58092700-1446964583_thumb.jpost-45426-0-67764100-1446964718_thumb.jpost-45426-0-27074200-1446964749_thumb.j

Impressive collection of tags, especially the original aluminium ones.

Are they themed, or mixed regiments/ corps?

Hi gwf1967, the tags are all Australian except 1. They are mixed from infantry to mounted and include nurses and flying corp.

I also have pairs still attached to the original string or leather cords. Mike.

I'm even more impressed now Mike.

Great items. You can see the history worn into tags.

Hi All, my display for one of our gunshows. The 08 webbing is dated from 1908-1913 with my best 07 bayonet.

I have tried to collect every thing a ww1 aussie might carry on him and what he might have in his pockets.

Mike

post-45426-0-73119300-1447174419_thumb.j

post-45426-0-86574300-1447174651_thumb.j

post-45426-0-10434800-1447174697_thumb.j

Very interesting theme and contents, I have one of those 'tin' candle holders, a difficult to find item.

I am enjoying your photographs, keep them coming !

khaki :thumbsup:

Some nice rare items in your collection Mike keep the pictures coming! Thanks for sharing Mark

Hi All, there are some early wire cutters and the e/tools are dated from 1914 to 1918. Some more patriotic badges in frames and my original Bairnsfather. Also memorial plaque holders and photo holders.The sketch book in the

middle row are impressions of Mesopotamia drawn by Lieut Bagot Anzac wireless squadron. He is in the book

With Horse And Morse. Mike.

post-45426-0-99752600-1447400769_thumb.j

post-45426-0-73618400-1447400800_thumb.j

post-45426-0-60281200-1447400827_thumb.j

Very nice collection, thanks for sharing. Dog tags are very interesting, do you have a favourite?

Hi Clarke, my favourite tags are to 3829 W.GRANT.Australian Cyclist Corps.and 1st Anzac Cyclist Bn. All of the

tags I have are special because they were worn for the period of service. I actually prefer them to medals.

W.Grants tags were the first I ever purchased,in those days dealers split up everything and sold off the

medals so I would by all the tags and paybooks. Last count was 150 tags and 60 paybooks . Mike.

Thought I would share my latest uniform display, a Lieutenant Colonel of The Black Watch in Service dress. The jacket is labeled Lieut. Colonel Hon. Thomas HAE Cochrane who commanded the 2nd/7th Battalion The Black Watch. As the younger son of of the Earl of Dundonald, Thomas did not inherit the title but was awarded a peerage as 1st Baron of Cults in 1919. He did not serve overseas in WW1, but his son, Thomas George Frederick, won a DSO with the 2nd Bn being wounded three times. Thomas HAE Cochrane was a MP from North Ayrshire. He was Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department under Arthur Balfour between 1902 and 1905. A photo of Cochrane in 1897 at Parliament is also attached.

The Sam Browne belt and ankle boots are repro, but all the other items are genuine period items. Finding a full Sam Browne configuration especially in the required large size is nearly impossible. The jacket is unusual in that it has a closed front instead of the usual Highland cutaway pattern. Cochrane probably preferred the closed front because, as a field officer, he did not wear a kilt or a sporran. The cuff rank, as you can see, is the Scottish gauntlet style.

Hope this may be of interest.

phpWdcIaAAM_zps156254e6.jpgThomasHAECochrane1897_zps368d28b6.jpg

Fantastic uniform and made even more special by the fact that this chaps grandfather was Admiral Thomas Cochrane. The latters naval career is the stuff of legend and inspired the characters Jack Aubrey and Horatio Hornblower in the C.S. Forester and Patrick O'Brian novels. Admiral Cochrane was also possibly the first person to suggest the use of poison gas as a weapon. Apologies if you already knew all of this but I thought it worth mentioning all the same!

post-7438-0-97884000-1447874932_thumb.jp

Few more American pieces added to the collection, UK made sidecap and 1917/1918 dated belt

Fantastic uniform and made even more special by the fact that this chaps grandfather was Admiral Thomas Cochrane. The latters naval career is the stuff of legend and inspired the characters Jack Aubrey and Horatio Hornblower in the C.S. Forester and Patrick O'Brian novels. Admiral Cochrane was also possibly the first person to suggest the use of poison gas as a weapon. Apologies if you already knew all of this but I thought it worth mentioning all the same!

Thank you djt for bringing this to my attention. I was unaware of his connection to Admiral Thomas Cochrane. I am always interested in more information concerning the men associated with my uniforms, and you have added to that knowledge.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would revive this thread with photos of my latest uniform display.

This is a Canadian highlander of the 13th Battalion CEF. They were recruited largely from the pre-war militia regiment Royal Highlanders of Canada with a few men from the 78th Pictou Highlanders. Because of this origin, their uniform was very similar to the British Black Watch.

The service dress jacket is British made with two darts under each collar, and the lining has a RACD acceptance stamp for Marylbone. It has Canadian General Service buttons. The upper shoulder contains the formation signs for the 1st Canadian Division (red rectangle), the blue for 3rd Brigade, and the circle for 13th Battalion. Two wound stripes are affixed to the lower sleeve. There is evidence that there were sewn on collar badges (unusual) but no evidence of shoulder titles.

The kilt cover has a broad arrow mark with a 1915 stamp as does the P1908 web belt. I believe the highland shoes and spats to be original period items. The hose and flashes are more contemporary. The glengarry is contemporary but with a vintage 13th Bn badge. The uniform items are asynchronous timewise. The glengarry and spats-shoes-flashes would be late 1914 early 1915. However, the formation sign and wound stripes are 1916 or later by which time the uniform would have included tam o'shanter with red hackle (authorized from Nov 1916) and boots with short puttees.

Santa has been good to me this year.

20151224_123609_zpsdzzuihfb.jpg20151223_141114_zpsapgfkmxn.jpg

Very nice indeed.

TT

• 2 months later...

Here's some old bits and bobs as currently thrown together at Whitgift School in Croydon in a 1916-themed diorama. The mannequins are a bit limited for poses, especially the hands; yet we've tried.

There's bound to be a few things that niggle for accuracy - for instance, we couldn't establish when the 7th Green Howards would have put the 17th Division sign up nor whether the 1st/9th Londons wore 1914 Pattern (as shown here) or 1908.

PB8_zpsm2app2im.jpg

PB11_zpsfh8ejmix.jpg

PB9_zps4ivzvzss.jpg

There's one (known) repro item in the whole scenario - can anyone spot it?

Cheers,

GT.

Here's some old bits and bobs as currently thrown together in a 1916-themed diorama. The mannequins are a bit limited for poses, especially the hands; yet we've tried.

There's bound to be a few things that niggle for accuracy - for instance, we couldn't establish when the 7th Green Howards would have put the 17th Division sign up nor whether the 1st/9th Londons wore 1914 Pattern (as shown here) or 1908.

There's one (known) repro item in the whole scenario - can anyone spot it?

Cheers,

GT.

GT, a truly outstanding display - where is it !!

"Old bits and bobs thrown together" - I love it. IWM take note ( especially IWM North ) - informative, interesting, entertaining........ oh, and historically accurate.

Repro item - I'm guessing the rolled up sandbags under the haversack ?

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Manxy