Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Chris- Thanks for posting my display.  I would invite any Midwestern GW buffs to attend this WW1 event held every year close to Nov. 11th at the Illinois State Military. Museum.  Has Springfield Mike ever attended?

Regards, Ken

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 15:44, new3.2 said:

Chris- Thanks for posting my display.  I would invite any Midwestern GW buffs to attend this WW1 event held every year close to Nov. 11th at the Illinois State Military. Museum.  Has Springfield Mike ever attended?

Regards, Ken

Ken,

I have attended the Christmas in the trenches event once. It never fails though that I always have something going on that keeps me away. This years Christmas event was missed due to buying a new home, which will finally be all done and over with this weekend when I finally move. Sadly I wish I had more time to post more frequently on this forum and a few others I mill about on. Maybe that will change soon and I can get things organized so I am able to do so.

-MIke

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,Some more photo's of my collection.These boots are Australian made by Blundstone and Son's Tasmania  1918.

The Picket posts are dated 08,15,16. the darker

post is Australian but no date.My slouch hat is dated 1918 and British made,in good condition.Turkish and Australian bugles

from Gallipoli.Ration tins some with Indian army markings, YPRES map1917 with boundry marks. I have an interest in ww1

saddlery equipment and would like to see others collection photo's if you wish to post.Regards Gronky.

20170107_Saddles__5067.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5286.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5293.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5296.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5299.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5374.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5307.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5308.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5309.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5313.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5388.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5384.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5387.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5390.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5392.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5436.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5437.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5438.JPG

20170107_Saddles__5439.JPG

Dear Gronky,

I live in south-west Germany, but I am a sixth-generation Australian.

Apart from his medals (large and miniatures), there is not much left of my late grandfather's* equipment. His sword, spurs and many other things (once familiar to me) were lost or pitched out.

I do have an Orders Pad, which I will scan at a later date. I have his identity disc (attached), for your general interest...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

*AIF Capt (53 Bn) and CMF Lt-Col William Frederic Lindsay, MC, ED (1880-1940). 

Lt WF Lindsay 53 Bn AIF ID.jpg

MC_rev_small.jpg

Grandfather and Dads miniatures.JPG

Hi Kim, thanks for posting your wrist tag and medals.Regards Gronky.

Dear Gronky,

Here is the Message Pad, with one of the numerous entries shown. My grandfather (then Capt. W. F. Lindsay) was OC D Coy 53 Bn AIF and the entries cease before the 1 Sep 1918 action in which he was wounded. His MC Citation in the form of a personal letter from General Birdwood is self-explanatory.

Pte Currey was awarded the VC during the Peronne "stunt" (as they themselves called it), amongst several other decorations to 53 Bn Officers and Other Ranks. Lieut Waite, MC, was D Coy 2iC and took over when Capt Lindsay was wounded. Waite was subsequently awarded a Bar to his Military Cross.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

D Coy OC 54 Bn AIF Capt W. F. Lindsay.jpg

D Coy OC 53 Bn AIF Field Notepad.jpg

Gen Birdwood GOC AIF.jpg

Hi Kim,Very nice A.B. 153, iv'e always wanted one of these with something to an Australian, maybe one day I will find one.I might post some

more photo's of some saddlery equipment if you like.Regards Gronky.

Moderators [edit] and contributors, 

Any reason this thread should not be merged with the - almost classic - one of the same name? 

/Dan 

Edited by Beechhill

Mike- Chris is involved with a WW1 program that will be held in Springfield the end of April.  I would invite all to attend.  Perhaps you will be there?

Ken

Wow- very nice display SP, did not know there was that much red in the world; but I understand about the drug comment as my world is olive drab.

Ken

On 1/24/2017 at 23:55, servicepub said:

Drugs cheaper meme.jpg

At least with a Militaria collection you could sell, drugs are still a fall back option!  

Edited by GWF1967

However I have noticed that if you OD on drugs the game is over, but if you OD (olive drab) in militaria you only have to worry that your will not find out.

Ken

Another analogy between drugs and militaria:  The more you get, the more you want!

• 4 weeks later...

One of those odd things that turn up from time to time, 1930's  fundraising for veterans, I have several types,  khaki

0218171314.jpg

Edited by Khaki

On 2/18/2017 at 15:33, Khaki said:

One of those odd things that turn up from time to time, 1930's  fundraising for veterans, I have several types,  khaki

It appears to be unissued since the "received from" line is blank.  I would be interested in seeing your other examples, Khaki, if you would care to post them.

As soon as I can get some natural light I will try, are you interested in GW documents?  I have a good size collection from many countries and I am happy to dig them out for you if you can give me an idea of what interests you.

khaki

2 hours ago, tanks3 said:

Khaki

Do you have any ephemera to the Tank Corps you could post pics of?  Be pleased to see anything.

Tanks3

Nothing comes to mind, I will keep an eye out, most of the ephemera that I have are things like travel warrants, orders, ship berths, POW letters, field service pocket books

pay books, field note books, government proclamations, telegrams, fundraisers, veterans hospital, etc

khaki

17 hours ago, Khaki said:

As soon as I can get some natural light I will try, are you interested in GW documents?  I have a good size collection from many countries and I am happy to dig them out for you if you can give me an idea of what interests you.

khaki

Nothing comes to mind at this moment.  I would like to be able to keep your offer on the shelf for the future.  Thanks

I was going to try for the lottery ticket images today , but I was the victim of a rear end vehicle collision the other day and spent most of todays daylight hours with Doctors and attorneys, sorry I will get it done.

khaki

Interesting item from which I learnt something, apparently the US had a squadron of sub chasers at Plymouth, here is a shore pass for the US base dated 1918.

0221170823.jpg

Edited by Khaki