Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria Displayed

Khaki

Hi all,

2 photographs of my militaria room

will display more later - Mike.

As an ex cavalry soldier (though to be fair our steers were challenger 2 mbt s) I'm exceedingly impressed with your horse display. A superb collection Mike. Well done.

Andy

Some new pics of some of my stuff for you. The British soldier is on loan for a year at an exhibition local to me. Enjoy.

TT

post-15846-0-17514700-1464252285_thumb.j

post-15846-0-38373700-1464252303_thumb.j

post-15846-0-01945800-1464252331_thumb.j

Whitgift school display..... I'm in awe..... Absolute awe! I wish I had all of that space. Wow. A genuinely superb effort gents. Hopefully when I win the lottery I will have so much space to set out my collection haha. Well I now know which museum I'll be visiting next! A school!

Well done.

Andy

Many thanks.

It's been confirmed to me today that the exhibition at Whitgift will be open until the end of the year now.

Cheers,

GT.

Many thanks.

It's been confirmed to me today that the exhibition at Whitgift will be open until the end of the year now.

Cheers,

GT.

Brilliant. Will give you a shout with some dates.

Thanks

TT

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2016 at 18:28, AndrewBelsey said:

I've commented in the Verdun thread. This exhibition at Whitgift is a must see for anyone with an interest in the Great War. I has nearly everything that I wanted to see at the IWM and found left out! So go to this exhibition instead.

Had seen your transections in storage at couple of weeks ago, and thought they looked very good.

Attended a Somme vigil there first thing this morning; and saw them mounted for the first time - and they look great. Fantastic work!

Cheers,

GT.

IMG_1650.jpg

Thanks very much GT. This is news to me! I knew the plan was to have them ready for today, but the school have not let me know that they are on display now.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is excellent! I can't get enough of it. I've got so much enjoyment out of it I feel I should probably 'give back' a bit...I might take a photo of my ordnance / knick-knack shelf shortly if interested. 

Thanks to all the contributors!

5 hours ago, Geertsen said:

This thread is excellent! I can't get enough of it. I've got so much enjoyment out of it I feel I should probably 'give back' a bit...I might take a photo of my ordnance / knick-knack shelf shortly if interested. 

Thanks to all the contributors!

Would definitely be interested.  Please do post.

Here's my little collection. There's not anything rare or particularly special there but it's just things I like. Mainly WW1 and WW2 but a few later things...ignore the Star Wars model and the Subbuteo press photographer! Got one casing there with the wrong projectile on but it adds to the display anyway. 

Only problem with such a crowded shelf is that you could never dust that thing!

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Geertsen said:

Here's my little collection. There's not anything rare or particularly special there but it's just things I like. Mainly WW1 and WW2 but a few later things...ignore the Star Wars model and the Subbuteo press photographer! Got one casing there with the wrong projectile on but it adds to the display anyway. 

Only problem with such a crowded shelf is that you could never dust that thing!

image.jpeg

What is the provenance of the trumpet?

Funnily enough, I bought the trumpet many years ago before I really got into militaria so it's not part of my military collection as such. It works quite well with the other items though in a way I think and was the first thing I ever put on that shelf...everything else has grown around it!

It's extremely heavy and well made but doesn't have a makers stamp that I can find which is a shame. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2011 at 01:35, dutchbarge said:

Hello Chris, Captain Archibald Walter Annand, MC, joined the 3rd Battalion Gordon Highlanders 22 October 1915 (3rd Battalion was a depot/training battalion). He arrived in France 13 September 1916. The Army List shows him attached to the 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders (20th Brigade, 7 Division) in 1916 and with the 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders (76th Brigade, 3 Division) in 1917. It would appear than Annand won his Military Cross serving with the 1st Battalion, most likely during 76th Brigade’s assault of Infantry Hill (14-19 June 1917) during the Arras Offensive.

Cheers, Bill

Hello.  I'm Archie's grandson; have only recently linked into GWF.  To put the dating record straight: his MC was announced in the London Gazette on 23-Nov-1917, and the full citation Gazetted on 5-Apr-1918.  The award was instigated by 4 NCOs of 'A' Company, 1st Gordons on 1-Oct-1917 from AWA's actions 26- to 29-Sep-1917 (I have the original pencil on paper document).  After the Great War, Archie became Headmaster of King Edward's School, Bath during 1920s and 30s.

Cheers, AL10

7 hours ago, AL10 said:

Hello.  I'm Archie's grandson; have only recently linked into GWF.  To put the dating record straight: his MC was announced in the London Gazette on 23-Nov-1917, and the full citation Gazetted on 5-Apr-1918.  The award was instigated by 4 NCOs of 'A' Company, 1st Gordons on 1-Oct-1917 from AWA's actions 26- to 29-Sep-1917 (I have the original pencil on paper document).  After the Great War, Archie became Headmaster of King Edward's School, Bath during 1920s and 30s.

Cheers, AL10

AL10,

Saw your Gallery post with the photo of Capt Annand as Headmaster.  I had asked for some bio info there.  Here it is, so you need not answer my other post.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

In case members might be interested: I posted a selection of pictures from my most recent trip to the National World War One Museum and Liberty Memorial in Kansas City Missouri (USA)

HERE in member's Galleries

Apologies for the quality of the pictures - the museum is low lit and because most items were in cases flash would have caused reflections. In addition quite a lot of the cases are "double sided" so sometimes in images (although not in person) the stuff/people on the other side is a bit of a distraction.

I have visited the museum regularly since it opened and the collection is clearly growing. IMO it strikes a nice balance between cases full of "stuff" to look at (which I enjoy) and more "engaging" activities (films/sound recordings/activity tables for children etc) There is a "scavenger hunt" type guide for children too which kept my 10 year old engaged and reading through captions for several hours!

Chris

Nice photos, Chris.  Incentivizes me to take a trip there.

Mike

Thanks. Maybe we should organize a GWF gathering in Kansas City.... reasonably central county wise....being just 250 miles from the geographic center of the US. I'd go. But it's just a 5 hour drive for me. :)

Chris

19 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Thanks. Maybe we should organize a GWF gathering in Kansas City.... reasonably central county wise....being just 250 miles from the geographic center of the US. I'd go. But it's just a 5 hour drive for me. :)

Chris

Good idea, but not in winter.  :(

• 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 19:04, 4thGordons said:

Chris

I agree, nice idea, but a 20 hour drive, too much for me I'm afraid,

khaki

Chris- If you still have a photograph of the display that I did for the Springfield Armistice Day Commemoration, I would be happy to share it.

Ken

1 hour ago, new3.2 said:

Chris- If you still have a photograph of the display that I did for the Springfield Armistice Day Commemoration, I would be happy to share it.

Ken

Sorry Ken! End of term madness! Here you go:

Baumann-1.jpg

Baumann-3.jpg

Baumann-4.jpg

A bar that I found and purchased in an antique mall to use in my pool room, I purchased it mainly because of the large illuminated center display area, I thought it would look good with a mannequin torso in appropriate great war blouse or something. (Photographed as seen in the mall

1011161430.jpg

Edited by Khaki