I wonder if you could be kind enough to look and see ifthere is one of

2nd Lt. R.E. Vernede

Rifle Brigade

5th attached 12th Battalion.

Died 9/4/17.

Many thanks.

Andy

Many thanks Stephen,

I deeply appreciate the time and trouble you took to scan and post the requested pictures.

Kind regards,

Philip

Hi Jim,

picture below.

2nd LIEUTENANT HUMPHREY KAYE BONNEY NEVINSON, 1/10th (TERRIT.) BATTN. THE MANCHESTER REGT. son of the Rev. T.K.B. Nevinson, Medbourne Rectory, Market Harborough, was born on the 1st December, 1891, at Lynson Rectory, Oakham. He was educated at Oakham School, where he obtained a House Scholarship and a County Scholarship, and was in the First Rugby XV. He took a keen interest in the Church Lads' Brigade, in which he was a Captain, and he was also Adjutant of the Church Scouts. In March, 1914, he was gazetted 2nd Lieutenant in the 10th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, and at the outbreak of the war in August, 1914, he undertook Imperial Service obligations. 2nd Lieutenant Nevinson's battalion was ordered to Egypt in September, 1914, and took part in defending the Suez Canal in April, 1915. In May they proceeded to the Dardenelles, and in the great attack on the Turkish trenches in Gallipoli Peninsula on the 4th June, 1915, 2nd Lieutenant Nevinson was wounded. He died from the effects next day on board the hospital ship "Somali" and was buried at sea.

Regards, Steve

Any chance of having a look for this man. Seems to be quite alot of info about him, just wondered if you had anything to add..

Name: NEVINSON, HUMPHREY KAYE BONNEY

Initials: H K B

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/06/1915

Additional information: Son of Thomas Kaye Bonney Nevinson and Ethel Mary Nevinson, of Medbourne Rectory, Market Harborough.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 158 to 170.

Cemetery: HELLES MEMORIAL

post-2402-1123024975.jpg

Steve,

Thanks so much for the photo it's much appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

Hi Steve,

I wonder if you could be kind enough to look and see ifthere is one of

2nd Lt. R.E. Vernede

Rifle Brigade

5th attached 12th Battalion.

Died 9/4/17.

Many thanks.

Andy

Andy,

I didn't find anything on him in the ILN, in fact I didn't find anything across many different rolls of honour including the Sphere and Graphic. I presume you have the standard picture available of him, shown out of uniform? (picked this up via Google).

Perhaps you could contact the archivist at his old University college? They may have a roll of honour picture. Worth a quick letter perhaps :huh:

Regards,

Steve

Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for looking. Yes, I do have a couple of pictures of him out of uniform, but your point about his old College is a good one, I will give it a try. Many thanks again.

Andy

Andy,

just to add that I have had a lot of success with Oxbridge Colleges - freshers photos, rolls of honour, entrance details, obituaries in college rags etc.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Stephen

Please could you look up a couple of Sparks for me?

2Lt Archibald Charles Spark killed in action 31/07/17 with the 8/10th Gordon Highlanders in the battle of Pilckem Ridge.

Capt Archibald Graham Spark MC  9th Bn King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Date of Death: 09/04/1917

Cemetery: COJEUL BRITISH CEMETERY, ST. MARTIN-SUR-COJEUL 

They were cousins

Thank you

Jane

Hi Jane,

here is the Roll of Honour photo for 2/Lt Archibald Charles Spark 8/10th Gordons. I assume you have his obituary?

Regards,

Steve

post-2402-1123887802.jpg

Thank you Steve. I don't have an obituary as such but this is the info I have:-

Archibald Charles Spark, Gordon Highlanders

Born at Glenbuchat on 26 May 96, the son of Rev. W. A. Spark

Educated at Banchory H. G. School and at Aberdeen Grammar School

Student in Arts at University of Aberdeen from 1915-16

Served in the ranks of the 11th Bn, Gordon Highlanders at home and obtained First-class Certificates in Musketry and Range-Finding and was an all-around athlete

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut. in the 3 Bn, Gordon Highlanders in March 1917

Joined the 10th Bn three weeks later

Killed at the opening of the Battle of Ypres on 31 July 1917 "while carrying on through smoke and darkness." This was a Pilkem Ridge.

If the Illustrated News gives any added info I would be interested

Jane

Hi Steve

I would be really grateful if you could look for the following:-

Captain John Martin MC

"A" Coy. 8th/10th Bn. Gordon Highlanders

Died 09.04.1917

Aged 28

Thanks

Evelyn

Hi Steve

I would be really grateful if you could look for the following:-

Captain John Martin MC

Died 09.04.1917

Aged 28

Thanks

Evelyn

Hi Evelyn,

sounds like an Arras casualty. I'll have a look; got a few requests queued up but leave it with me.

Steve

hi Steve

Looks like you're one of the most popular people in the forum right now. Can I please add to your workload?

The following were all pupils of Brigg Grammar school, Lincolnshire.

Lieutenant William Stuart Bean, 30 Sqn RFC (formerly R.E.) died 21/01/1918

Lieutenant Kenneth Foster Bean (his younger brother) 7th Bn Royal Scots, died 12/04/1918

Captain Frederick John Huskinson, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, died 01/07/1916 (Teacher)

Second Lt Percy Alexander Margetts, 9th Bn attd 6th Bn Lincolnshire Regt died Gallipoli 05/12/1915 (He was a teacher at Brigg, pupil at Batley Grammar school)

Second Lt William Nainby, Lincolnshire Regt (attd 62nd LTM Bty) died 27/05/1918

Second Lt Francis Ingle Sowter, The Buffs (East Kent Rgt) died 09/08/1917

Captain George Henry Joseph Sowter (his older brother) 5th Bn Lincolnshire Regt, died 13/10/1915

Second Lt Reginald Herbert Westoby, 3rd Bn Lincolnshire Regt, died 04/10/1917

I have quite a lot of family background for these, but only a little military info, and have yet to trace an elusive portrait photo.

Many thanks

Dave

Thank you Steve. I don't have an obituary as such but this is the info I have:-

Archibald Charles Spark, Gordon Highlanders

Born at Glenbuchat on 26 May 96, the son of Rev. W. A. Spark

Educated at Banchory H. G. School and at Aberdeen Grammar School

Student in Arts at University of Aberdeen from 1915-16

Served in the ranks of the 11th Bn, Gordon Highlanders at home and obtained First-class Certificates in Musketry and Range-Finding and was an all-around athlete

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut. in the 3 Bn, Gordon Highlanders in March 1917

Joined the 10th Bn three weeks later

Killed at the opening of the Battle of Ypres on 31 July 1917 "while carrying on through smoke and darkness." This was a Pilkem Ridge.

If the Illustrated News gives any added info I would be interested

Jane

Hi Jane,

I'll PM you the obituary ;)

Steve

Dear Steve,

Can I call on your kindness again please. The men listed below all died in the autumn of 1916, so I hope that a few might appear in the same edition, or at least within a few weeks of one another. Thanks for offering this service. If you were not in need of occupational therapy before you started, you are certainly getting plenty now!!

Lieutenant Eric W ROPER

Adjt. 17th Bn., Royal Fusiliers who died on 12 September 1916

BASIL ALFRED CAPEL CURE

Captain 2nd Bn, Gloucestershire Regiment who died on Sunday, 1st October 1916.

Captain JOSEPH KNOWLES IRELAND

26th Bn., Royal Fusiliers who died on 07 October 1916

And two on the same day:

OWEN MACAULAY EICKE MC

Lieutenant 62nd Bde., Royal Field Artillery who died on Sunday, 5th November 1916. Age 24.

Second Lieutenant KENNETH BRUCE STUART

6th Bn., Durham Light Infantry; who died age 20 on 5 November 1916

JOHN DENYS HUGH MADDRELL Lieutenant 1st/5th Bn., Duke of Cornwall's Light DOUGLAS LANE EVANS

Captain 6th Bn., Northamptonshire Regiment who died on Tuesday, 26th September 1916.

Infantry who died on Wednesday, 13th December 1916. Age 20.

Hi Kate,

I'm afraid I could only find one:

DOUGLAS LANE EVANS Captain 6th Bn., Northamptonshire Regiment who died on Tuesday, 26th September 1916.

I liked your occupational therapy comment..... ;)

Not sure what more you know about these officers, school/education wise i.e. possible obituaries elsewhere?

Regards,

Steve

post-2402-1124037079.jpg

Dear Steve,

Many thanks, as ever, for your help. Douglas was an undergraduate of King's College, Cambridge, and tenor in the Chapel Choir. He fell in the battle for Thiepval.

Kate

Many thanks for your trouble: I have this photo, and it is because he looks, shall we say, droll, that I would like a decent shot of him.  Good luck with your search.

Hello, I'm pleased to say I found a photo of him in one of my tomes of the period, quite by chance (I really need to index this stuff, I'm sure I'm missing people when I'm looking though things :( )

Anyhow, as he was killed in action at Mametz Wood on the 20th August 1916 I'll put his photo (and a damn long obituary...) up on Silent Cities on Saturday to commemorate his falling. Watch out for it ;)

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve

Captain John Martin MC

Died 09.04.1917

Aged 28

Since I posted my request I have discovered that his photograph is in "Watsonians who died in the Great War" and "Edinburgh University Roll of Honour" - Do you have either of these records?

Evelyn

Hi Steve

Captain John Martin MC

Died 09.04.1917

Aged 28

Since I posted my request I have discovered that his photograph is in "Watsonians who died in the Great War" and "Edinburgh University Roll of Honour" - Do you  have either of these records?

Evelyn

Hi Eve,

thanks for letting me know, saves me hunting around ;) . I have the record for George Watsons College, Edinburgh. I can post the picture on Tuesday when I'm back from France (using an Internet Cafe to reply).

Regards, Steve

Hi Eve,

thanks for letting me know, saves me hunting around  ;) . I have the record for George Watsons College, Edinburgh. I can post the picture on Tuesday when I'm back from France (using an Internet Cafe to reply).

Regards, Steve

Thanks Steve - enjoy the rest of your trip

Evelyn

• 2 weeks later...