Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Illustrated London News

Stephenb

Kev,

have a found a very good portrait of McAndrew in the ILN. Also have an obituary for him from another publication. I guessed by the KIA date that he was Neuve Chapelle casualty...

Nothing on Howley apart from a small entry saying he was killed by a shell.

Steve

Kev,

here's the Roll of Honour entry for Lieut-Col. G.B. McAndrew. Will email you his obituary with references.

Steve

post-2402-1117927061.jpg

Kev,

here's the Roll of Honour entry for Lieut-Col. G.B. McAndrew. Will email you his obituary with references.

Steve

Thanks steve, thats great.

Kev

Thanks steve, thats great.

Kev

Kev,

Lieut-Colonel McAndrew's obituary is in the Bond of Sacrifice Volume 2, p293-294. See the scans below which are linked from another website:-

BondOfSacrificeLieut-ColMcAndrew1a.jpg

BondOfSacrificeLieut-ColMcAndrew2a.jpg

BondOfSacrificeLieut-ColMcAndrew3a.jpg

Let me know once you've downloaded these....I'll then kill the links ;)

Major Jasper Joseph Howley D.S.O. had a very brief mention in the Bond of Sacrifice Volume 2 on p237. It said "was killed by shell, 11th March, 1915."

Regards,

Steve

Could I trouble you for information on the following if possible

Gilbert Bailey 104th Battalion Wellesleys Rifles, Indian Army KIA 22/11/15

Alexander Egan Barrow Lieutenant Royal West Surry Reg. KIA 4/10/17

Charles George Benford 2nd Lieutenant DCLI 5/1/18

A R Bradshaw Royal West Surry Reg 25/9/15

E Brooke Lieutenant Commander, H.M.S. Strongbow. Died 10/2/19. D.S.O.

BRYAN, DSO Cecil Clive Major, 490th Field Company (Territorial), Royal Engineers. Killed in action 11th August 1917

CAREY Allan Stewart 2nd Lieutenant, 45th Squadron (General List), Royal Flying Corps. Killed 27th May 1917.

COCKS Willard Fleetwood Lieutenant, 3rd Battalion, The Lincolnshire Regiment. (Attached) 21st. Division DOW 9 April 1917.

COLEMAN Edward Charles Lieutenant, Royal Artillery (TF) attached to 114th Brigade Trench Mortar Batteries. 26th Division. Macedonian Front. KIA 2 April 1917.

COLEMAN Herbert Edward Evatt Second Lieutenant, 2nd Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment. 1st Division. Killed in action 9 September 1916. Aged 23.

COLLINS John Stratford Second Lieutenant (C.O. of "A" Company), 7th Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment. 12th Division. KIA 5 April 1918.

COPPARD Stuart Benjamin Hayes Lieutenant, 57th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps (General List). Killed in action 20th Novmber 1917

DOUGLAS Kenneth Mackenzie Captain, Kings African Rifles attached from the 7th Battalion, The Seaforth Highlanders. Died 9 December 1918.

ESDAILE George Augustus Churchill Second Lieutenant, 261st. Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (TF). Killed in action 10 August 1917.

I know its a long list, im not looking for info quickly.

thanks very much

dave

Dave,

I'll have a look for these at the weekend. Re 2/Lt Collins, quite by chance I've actually seen his grave at Bouzincourt when I visited the cemetery there to take a picture of the headstone of Lieut-Colonel Collings-Wells V.C. Do you own his medals, shame I didn't take a picture of that headstone!

Regards,

Steve

BRYAN, DSO  Cecil Clive Major, 490th Field Company (Territorial), Royal Engineers. Killed in action 11th August 1917

CAREY Allan Stewart 2nd Lieutenant, 45th Squadron (General List), Royal Flying Corps. Killed 27th May 1917.

COCKS Willard Fleetwood Lieutenant, 3rd Battalion, The Lincolnshire Regiment. (Attached) 21st. Division DOW 9 April 1917.

COLEMAN Edward Charles Lieutenant, Royal Artillery (TF) attached to 114th Brigade Trench Mortar Batteries. 26th Division. Macedonian Front. KIA 2 April 1917.

COLEMAN Herbert Edward Evatt Second Lieutenant, 2nd Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment. 1st Division. Killed in action 9 September 1916. Aged 23.

COLLINS John Stratford Second Lieutenant (C.O. of "A" Company), 7th Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment. 12th Division. KIA 5 April 1918.

COPPARD Stuart Benjamin Hayes Lieutenant, 57th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps (General List). Killed in action 20th Novmber 1917

DOUGLAS Kenneth Mackenzie Captain, Kings African Rifles attached from the 7th Battalion, The Seaforth Highlanders. Died 9 December 1918.

ESDAILE George Augustus Churchill Second Lieutenant, 261st. Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (TF). Killed in action 10 August 1917.

thanks very much

dave

i dont own the medals to any of them. Im researching a memorial but the problem is there are a lot more officers i am interested in finding out about, but it would be unfair to take advantage of your generosity.

dave

i dont own the medals to any of them. Im researching a memorial but the problem is there are a lot more officers i am interested in finding out about, but it would be unfair to take advantage of your generosity.

dave

No problem. I'll keep plugging away with lookups as they come in :blink:

Steve,

Thanks for the details regarding Lt. Col. McAndrew.

Kev.

:)

Matthew,

here is a better quality picture of Second Lieutenant Algernon Percy Clarke, 1/23rd Battalion London Regiment, died of wounds 24th July 1915. His brother also fell.

Regards, Steve

post-2402-1118520058.jpg

Thank you very much Steve (And also for that other information) Always good to put a face to a name.

Regards,

Matthew

Steve,

Per your suggestion, here is the first set of 1/23rd London Officers that I'm interested in.

Thank you for checking for me.

Handley, Herbert Eustace 2nd Lieutenant 25/05/1915

Stevenson, Paul William John 2nd Lieutenant 25/05/1915

Wood, Keith Eric Lieutenant 27/05/1915

Ballard, Maurice Arnold Lieutenant 30/05/1915

Ballard, Godfrey Adolphus 2nd Lieutenant 27/09/1915

Hunt, John Henry Sneyd 2nd Lieutenant 16/09/1916

Kelsey, Leon de Barr 2nd Lieutenant 16/09/1916

Regards,

Matthew

Steve,

Per your suggestion, here is the first set of 1/23rd London Officers that I'm interested in.

Thank you for checking for me.

Handley, Herbert Eustace  2nd Lieutenant 25/05/1915

Stevenson, Paul William John  2nd Lieutenant  25/05/1915

Wood, Keith Eric  Lieutenant    27/05/1915

Ballard, Maurice Arnold  Lieutenant 30/05/1915

Ballard, Godfrey Adolphus 2nd Lieutenant 27/09/1915

Hunt, John Henry Sneyd  2nd Lieutenant 16/09/1916

Kelsey, Leon de Barr 2nd Lieutenant 16/09/1916

Regards,

Matthew

Matthew,

had a quick look and can find 3 out of the first 4 listed. Will be back in touch.

Steve

Have you had any luck with the photograph of R. Oliver.

thanks

dave

Dave,

here is Oliver's obituary from Wykehamists who Died in the War 1914 -1918 Volume I. Accompanying portrait photo to follow.

post-2402-1118543567.jpg

Hi Stephen,

By any chance do you happen to have a copy of 'The War Illustrated', October 30th, 1915 p243 entitled 'Briton's Amphibious Dardanelles Activities'?

I would like a scan of the top image showing the SS Clacton under fire from turkish land batteries.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Stephen,

By any chance do you happen to have a copy of 'The War Illustrated', October 30th, 1915 p243 entitled 'Briton's Amphibious Dardanelles Activities'?

I would like a scan of the top image showing the SS Clacton under fire from turkish land batteries.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I don't have a copy of this; i'll have a look for anything relating to the Clacton around that time though.

Hi Steve

Do you have anything on Lieutenant Humphrey MATTHEWS RN who died on 5 June 1916 when HMS Hampshire was sunk?

Many thanks

Ed

BRYAN, DSO  Cecil Clive Major, 490th Field Company (Territorial), Royal Engineers. Killed in action 11th August 1917

thanks very much

dave

Dave,

none of these guys are in the ILN. I believe I know where to source portraits/obits for 2 of them, possibly 3. Maybe able to get these posted saturday, if not then monday.

Steve

who did the ILN include, was it only londoners and men serving in london regiments?

thanks

dave

Good question; I would say there are a higher number of people from London and the home counties but in general you get good representation from across the country. The majority of entries relate to individuals from wealthy/middle-class families. The other thing to bear in mind is the sheer level of casualties which in effect means that space was limited in weekly editions (The Graphic and The Sphere also provided weekly Rolls of Honour). You see more entries per page in the first 2 years of the war; by 1918 there are less, and the footnotes have all but disappeared.

Stephen,

Could you take a look for this man please:

Second Lieutenant HUGH GORDON LANGTON

4th Bn., London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

who died age 32 on 26 October 1917

Son of J. Gordon Langton and Emily Langton, of 9E, Hyde Park Mansions, London; husband of Una M. Langton, of "Glendura," 92, Hornsey Lane, London.

We have discussed him on the Forum a number of times. He has the only CWGC headstone with a personal inscription in music rather than words.