Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Illustrated London News

Stephenb

Hi Steven

Is there anything on the following

Lieut Col Neville Bowes Elliot-Cooper, VC, DSO, MC. Died of wounds (POW) Feb, 1918

Many thanks

Peter

Hi Steven, could you please look up the following for me, if you are not snowed under !

2nd Lt John Haddon Attenborough 8th Batt Norfolk Regt died aged 24 on 1st July 1916 Somme

Lt Albert Spencer Bragg 10th Batt Essex Regt died aged 29 on 28th March 1919 at home

2nd Lt W J Carter 10th Batt Essex Regt died 21st Sept 1918 Vend'huile

Captain D C Bruce Copeland MC Adjt 12th Batt London Regt died aged 29 on 21 June 1918 at home

I would be so grateful

Patrick

Stephen,

I'd be very grateful if you would check if there are photographs for any of the following please. Unless otherwise stated, they were killed in Gallipoli on/within a few days of 25 April 1915

Captain Alfred Charles Addison, 2nd Bn The Hampshire Regiment.

Captain Denis Vipond Friend Anderson, 1st Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Lieutenant Lawrence Clive Bousted, 1st Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers (killed 29/6/1915)

Lieutenant Edward Watkin Colver, 455th (West Riding) Field Company, Royal Engineers (Killed 28/6/1915).

Major John Henry Costeker, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Brigade Major, 88th Infantry Brigade, 29th Division.

Captain Eric Lockhart Hume Henderson, 1st Bn. Royal Munster Fusiliers (died of wounds 20/21 May 1915 Buried Egypt.

Kind Regards,

Philip

Any chance of having a look for this man. Seems to be quite alot of info about him, just wondered if you had anything to add..

Name: NEVINSON, HUMPHREY KAYE BONNEY

Initials: H K B

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/06/1915

Additional information: Son of Thomas Kaye Bonney Nevinson and Ethel Mary Nevinson, of Medbourne Rectory, Market Harborough.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 158 to 170.

Cemetery: HELLES MEMORIAL

Patrick,

I cannot find any of these. However, PM me and I can tell you where you can obtain a photo and obituary of 2nd Lt W.J. Carter.

Steve

Hi Steven, could you please look up the following for me, if you are not snowed under !

2nd Lt John Haddon Attenborough 8th Batt Norfolk Regt died aged 24 on 1st July 1916 Somme

Lt Albert Spencer Bragg 10th Batt Essex Regt died aged 29 on 28th March 1919 at home

2nd Lt W J Carter 10th Batt Essex Regt died 21st Sept 1918 Vend'huile

Captain D C Bruce Copeland MC Adjt 12th Batt London Regt died aged 29 on 21 June 1918 at home

I would be so grateful

Patrick

Philip,

I can find 4 of these. Will post shortly.

Steve

Stephen,

I'd be very grateful if you would check if there are photographs for any of the following please.  Unless otherwise stated, they were killed in Gallipoli on/within a few days of 25 April 1915

Lieutenant Lawrence Clive Bousted, 1st Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers (killed 29/6/1915)

Lieutenant Edward Watkin Colver, 455th (West Riding) Field Company, Royal Engineers (Killed 28/6/1915).

Major John Henry Costeker, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Brigade Major, 88th Infantry Brigade, 29th Division.

Captain Eric Lockhart Hume Henderson, 1st Bn. Royal Munster Fusiliers (died of wounds 20/21 May 1915  Buried Egypt.

Kind Regards,

Philip

Hi Wendy,

I cannot find this man. I also looked in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour. I suggest you try a newspaper search. If you want some tips then PM me.

Steve

Hi Stephen

Is there any chance you might find ALBERT EDWARD PEARSON  Died March 22, 1918, Pozieres Memorial. 60988, 11th Bn. Royal Fusiliers.

Thank you for your time,

Wendy Hogan

Hi Jane,

I can find one of these officers. Will post a picture shortly.

Hi Stephen

Please could you look up a couple of Sparks for me?

2Lt Archibald Charles Spark killed in action 31/07/17 with the 8/10th Gordon Highlanders in the battle of Pilckem Ridge.

Capt Archibald Graham Spark MC  9th Bn King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Date of Death: 09/04/1917

Cemetery: COJEUL BRITISH CEMETERY, ST. MARTIN-SUR-COJEUL 

They were cousins

Thank you

Jane

Peter,

I have a photo of this officer. Will post it on the forum shortly.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steven

Lieut Col Neville Bowes Elliot-Cooper, VC, DSO, MC. Died of wounds (POW) Feb, 1918

Many thanks

Peter

Steve

Could you have a look at the following for me please

2Lt William White Wilkin 5th Northumberland Fusiliers KIA 26/10/17

2Lt Lawrence John Mann 16th Bn NF KIA 12/07/17

2Lt William Kingsbury Simpson 22nd Bn NF KIA 05/06/17

2Lt John Richardson 23rd Bn NF DOW 09/09/17

Very Many Thanks

Peter

Steve

I know you must be snowed under but if you could look up the following who are evading my best efforts to trace them:

2/Lt. Art Bennett, Artists Rifles

Lt. W.H. Fox, Bedfordshires

2/Lt E.R. Haywood, poss. North Staffordshires

2/Lt. R.S. Jeffcock, 1/6 South Staffordshires

2/Lt. W.d. Wood, South Staffordshire tho' poss transferred

Lt. T. Causer, RWR

Sorry to be such a pain!

Many thanks

Ken

Ken,

I can locate a photo for Lt. Walter Henry Fox.

I do not have anything on 2.Lt Jeffcock

Cannot find any information to suggest any of the following officers died during the war: 2.Lt. Art Bennett, 2.Lt E.R. Haywood, 2.Lt W.D. Wood or Lt. T. Causer. Are you sure these are the correct names?

Regards, Steve

Lt W.H. Fox, 4th South Staff att'd 2nd Beds, commemorated on the Le Touret memorial ->

post-2402-1122811848.jpg

Hi Steven

Many thanks

Peter

Peter,

Here is the Roll of Honour photo for Lieut-Col N.B. Elliot-Cooper.

Regards, Steve

post-2402-1122815242.jpg

Stephen,

...Philip

Philip,

here's the first one, Brevet-Major Costeker.

Steve

post-2402-1122818295.jpg

Stephen,

I'd be very grateful if you would check if there are photographs for any of the following please.  Unless otherwise stated, they were killed in Gallipoli on/within a few days of 25 April 1915

Captain Eric Lockhart Hume Henderson, 1st Bn. Royal Munster Fusiliers (died of wounds 20/21 May 1915  Buried Egypt.

Kind Regards,

Philip

Here's the second one, Captain D.V.F. Anderson

post-2402-1122828297.jpg

Stephen,

Kind Regards,

Philip

Here's the third one, Lieut. E. Watkin Colver

post-2402-1122829367.jpg

Stephen,

Kind Regards,

Philip

Here's the last one, Lieut L.C. Bousted of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers

post-2402-1122830759.jpg

2Lt [or even Captain] CRJR Dolling RWF killed 1916 please?  You are doing Pals a great service with this info.

A quick check revealed this group photo with Dolling identified. I'll check some other sources though.

Regards, Steve

post-2402-1122835153.jpg

Hi,

i put this on the last page which you probably didnt see as it moved to page 13 soon after.

Do you have anything on a 2lt G.J Wilson of the 16th Royal Sussex Regiment, KIA 6th November 1917.

thanks

dave

Hi,

i put this on the last page which you probably didnt see as it moved to page 13 soon after.

Do you have anything on a 2lt G.J Wilson of the 16th Royal Sussex Regiment, KIA 6th November 1917.

thanks

dave

Dave,

I didn't see it. I have now checked and can't see anything in the ILN. Do you know anything else about him?; I can check other sources but it's a needle in a haystack without more information.

Steve

Only this im afraid

Name: WILSON

Initials: G J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment

Unit Text: 16th (Sussex Yeomanry) Bn.

Date of Death: 06/11/1917

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. G. S. Wilson, of Crawley, Sussex; husband of Gertrude Wilson, of "Ramleh," 14, Colebrooke Rd., Bexhill-on-Sea.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: M. I.

Cemetery: BEERSHEBA WAR CEMETERY

there may be something on SDGW but i doubt it will be useful.

thanks

dave

A quick check revealed this group photo with Dolling identified. I'll check some other sources though.

Regards, Steve

Many thanks for your trouble: I have this photo, and it is because he looks, shall we say, droll, that I would like a decent shot of him. Good luck with your search.

Dear Steve,

Can I call on your kindness again please. The men listed below all died in the autumn of 1916, so I hope that a few might appear in the same edition, or at least within a few weeks of one another. Thanks for offering this service. If you were not in need of occupational therapy before you started, you are certainly getting plenty now!!

Lieutenant Eric W ROPER

Adjt. 17th Bn., Royal Fusiliers who died on 12 September 1916

DOUGLAS LANE EVANS

Captain 6th Bn., Northamptonshire Regiment who died on Tuesday, 26th September 1916.

BASIL ALFRED CAPEL CURE

Captain 2nd Bn, Gloucestershire Regiment who died on Sunday, 1st October 1916.

Captain JOSEPH KNOWLES IRELAND

26th Bn., Royal Fusiliers who died on 07 October 1916

And two on the same day:

OWEN MACAULAY EICKE MC

Lieutenant 62nd Bde., Royal Field Artillery who died on Sunday, 5th November 1916. Age 24.

Second Lieutenant KENNETH BRUCE STUART

6th Bn., Durham Light Infantry; who died age 20 on 5 November 1916

JOHN DENYS HUGH MADDRELL Lieutenant 1st/5th Bn., Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry who died on Wednesday, 13th December 1916. Age 20.