Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Illustrated London News

Stephenb

Hi Steve

Do you have anything on Lieutenant Humphrey MATTHEWS RN who died on 5 June 1916 when HMS Hampshire was sunk?

Many thanks

Ed

Hi Ed,

I cannot see him in the ILN. There is a whole Roll of Honour page, 24/6/16,, dedicated to Battle of Jutland casualties though. If you have any more info on him I can look in other sources but his CWGC entry is basic.

Regards,

Steve

Dave,

none of these guys are in the ILN. I believe I know where to source portraits/obits for 2 of them, possibly 3. Maybe able to get these posted saturday, if not then monday.

Steve

Dave,

here is the obituary extract & Roll of Honour photo for Lieut. E.C. Coleman, from Dulwich College Roll of Honour:

LIEUTENANT EDWARD CHARLES COLEMAN (1904-10)

Royal Field Artillery T.F.

Born 5th September 1891. He was in the Cricket XI 1907-8-9-10, captaining the team in 1910, and winning the prize for fielding in 1909 and 1910; he also won the Challenge Cup for Fives in the same two years. After leaving he went up to Pembroke College, Cambridge, and though he played in the Varsity trial match for Etceteras v Perambulators, in 1911, he never had the opportunity of playing for Cambridge. In 1910 he played for Essex County Second XI, and in 1912 represented the County First XI in several matches, being a good wicket-keeper. Prior to the war he held a commission in the Reserve of Officers, Royal Field Artillery, and volunteered for active service at the outbreak. He was posted to the 4th East Anglian Brigade Royal Field Artillery, and promoted Lieutenant in January, 1915. Previous to proceeding to Egypt he married Miss Dorothy G. Petchell. He was killed in the trenches at Salonika on 2nd April 1917.

post-2402-1119199543.jpg

Lieut. Humphrey Matthews, RN

Hi Steve

Many thanks for looking anyway. I have a lot of information on him already but I'm just missing a picture! Briefly, he was educated at Sandroyd School and passed into the Britannia in 1904, passing out first on the list as Midshipman. Promoted Lieutenant in July 1909 and was appointed to the Junior Staff of the Gunnery School in 1911. He was awarded a "testimonial on vellum" by the Royal Humane Society for saving life off Portland in August 1912 and was a keen sportsman by all accounts, playing football for the Royal Naval College and for the United Services.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Ed

Lieut. Humphrey Matthews, RN

Hi Steve

Many thanks for looking anyway.  I have a lot of information on him already but I'm just missing a picture!  Briefly, he was educated at Sandroyd School and passed into the Britannia in 1904, passing out first on the list as Midshipman.  Promoted Lieutenant in July 1909 and was appointed to the Junior Staff of the Gunnery School in 1911.  He was awarded a "testimonial on vellum" by the Royal Humane Society for saving life off Portland in August 1912 and was a keen sportsman by all accounts, playing football for the Royal Naval College and for the United Services. 

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Ed

Thanks Ed, sounds an interesting man. I did a quick Google search and the school is still in existence, http://www.sandroyd.org/

Have you approached them for a possible photo held in their archives?

Steve

Dave,

none of these guys are in the ILN. I believe I know where to source portraits/obits for 2 of them, possibly 3. Maybe able to get these posted saturday, if not then monday.

Steve

Dave,

obituary and Roll of Honour picture for Second Lieutenant Herbert Edward Evatt Coleman.

Regards, Steve

post-2402-1119217175.jpg

Steve,

Thank you very much for finding those pictures and obits. It's great to have more than just a name. Hope we can be equally successful with the other candidates.

I'm very grateful for the time and effort you're putting in on my behalf.

Regards,

Matthew

I would be very interested in seeing if my man is there.. here are his details..

BEWICKE, CALVERLEY GEORGE

Initials: C G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Welsh Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 26/07/1916

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 7 A and 10 A.

Kind regards

Jim

Guest dannytruell

Steve

You're clearly doing a great service.

Is there any chance that you could look for my great-uncle, Lieutenant Stanley Robert Edwards of the 8th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment, who was killed on 25th September 1915 ?

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Stephen,

Could you take a look for this man please:

Second Lieutenant HUGH GORDON LANGTON

4th Bn., London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

who died age 32 on 26 October 1917

Son of J. Gordon Langton and Emily Langton, of 9E, Hyde Park Mansions, London; husband of Una M. Langton, of "Glendura," 92, Hornsey Lane, London.

We have discussed him on the Forum a number of times. He has the only CWGC headstone with a personal inscription in music rather than words.

Kate,

had a look and he's not in the ILN. I believe you need to try and look in this book for him: Masonic Roll Of Honour 1914-1918: Names of Brethren who fell in the service of their King & Country during the Great War.' by N.A., London, 1921 (I last saw it on a book list a year ago). Someone on the forum may have it, or be able to advise on where it can be accessed.

Steve

Thankyou Steve,

I have already consulted the book you mention, which did not tell me anything new, as it is a simple list of lodges, with no biographical information.

Thankyou Steve,

I have already consulted the book you mention, which did not tell me anything new, as it is a simple list of lodges, with no biographical information.

Thanks Kate,

in a sense that's good to know. Looks like you may have to think about a newspaper search? Very time consuming but I've has some successes recently at Colindale.

Regards,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Would you be kind enough to do a look up for me please.

Lieutenant The Hon Felix Charles Hubert Hanbury-Tracy

Scots Guards

KIA 19/12/14

Commemorated on the Ploegsteert Memorial

Gerald Gliddon's book "The Aristocracy and the Great War" suggests that he was wounded in an attack on German trenches at Fromelles on 18/19 December, "ignoring all offers of assistance he fell into German hands when the enemy re-took the position. He was taken into German trenches and died of his wounds a few hours later on the 19th. He was buried in the German cemetery in Fromelles and, according to his file in the Archives of the Scots Guards, this information was conveyed by the enemy during the Christmas Truce a few days later."

Grateful for any info

Moriaty

Hello Moriaty,

there's a Roll of Honour picture in the January 9th 1915 edition. Will post it shortly.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks very much Steve. He was a friend of my grandfather's who, I think, had been in the Scots Guards with him

Moriaty

Thanks very much Steve.  He was a friend of my grandfather's who, I think, had been in the Scots Guards with him

Moriaty

Moriaty,

here's the Roll of Honour entry previously mentioned.

Steve

post-2402-1121457769.jpg

Hi Stephen

Is there any chance you might find ALBERT EDWARD PEARSON Died March 22, 1918, Pozieres Memorial. 60988, 11th Bn. Royal Fusiliers.

Thank you for your time,

Wendy Hogan

Hi Stephen

Please could you look up a couple of Sparks for me?

2Lt Archibald Charles Spark killed in action 31/07/17 with the 8/10th Gordon Highlanders in the battle of Pilckem Ridge.

Capt Archibald Graham Spark MC 9th Bn King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Date of Death: 09/04/1917

Cemetery: COJEUL BRITISH CEMETERY, ST. MARTIN-SUR-COJEUL

They were cousins

Thank you

Jane

Steve

I know you must be snowed under but if you could look up the following who are evading my best efforts to trace them:

2/Lt. Art Bennett, Artists Rifles

Lt. W.H. Fox, Bedfordshires

2/Lt E.R. Haywood, poss. North Staffordshires

2/Lt. R.S. Jeffcock, 1/6 South Staffordshires

2/Lt. W.d. Wood, South Staffordshire tho' poss transferred

Lt. T. Causer, RWR

Sorry to be such a pain!

Many thanks

Ken

Steve,

Any chance you could have look for a Capt A C MAGOR Wilts Regt K.I.A. 17.10.14. please,

Cheers,

Lee

Steve

Thanks for posting the photo of Captain Hanbury-Tracy from the ILN

Moriaty