Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs

Guest Stoner

Hi all,

Mine is Serre Rd No3 at sunset from last November....with grateful thanks to Laughton :hypocrite: for posting the link to Photo Resize Magic. Finally, I can attach one of my photos!!!!

All the best,

Ian.

post-48080-1251909572.jpg

Ian,

Surreal light!!! Nice photo.

Regards

TT

Ian,

Surreal light!!! Nice photo.

Regards

TT

TT

Confession time, I uploaded the photo using my work laptop pc and now using my home laptop pc the image does indeed look surreal. The image I can now see using my home laptop is not what I intended or photographed I must honestly admit.

I'll send you a PM so you can reply if you want a copy of the "full fat" version so you can compare it to what I think you are looking at. No worries if you don't.

I really need some help and advice on the right programme to use to reduce photo image sizes or maybe I should sort out my btinternet flickr account and just hotlink them.

all the best,

Ian.

TT

I really need some help and advice on the right programme to use to reduce photo image sizes or maybe I should sort out my btinternet flickr account and just hotlink them.

Try this programme http://www.gimp.org/ it is a free download and gets good reviews.

Try this programme http://www.gimp.org/ it is a free download and gets good reviews.

Pooter,

Many thanks for the suggestion, I had a bit of a struggle at first to download it. It appears to me to demand a particular logical order of download and I had to try a number of attempts before finally succeeding.

All the best,

Ian.

Pooter,

Many thanks for the suggestion, I had a bit of a struggle at first to download it. It appears to me to demand a particular logical order of download and I had to try a number of attempts before finally succeeding.

All the best,

Ian.

Good luck I hope it helps.

I use PHOTO RESIZE MAGIC, it is free and very simple!

http://www.realfiletools.com/free/

Richard

Richard,

I did and many thanks for the suggestion and the link, I resized and attached the image using my work laptop and it looks like my original when I look at the thread on my work laptop. The problem is however, given the comment by Trenchtrotter, that it looks completely different with a surreal colour scheme when I look at it on this thread using my home laptop. So, in all honesty I cannot tell exactly what people are seeing.

I would be happy to receive any pointers if someone has any idea what I might be doing wrong with Photo Resize Magic.

BTW I just wanted to say that I think that there are some wonderful images on this thread with my favourites being some of the most recent posts, Seadog #441, Chalkhill Blue #486, Ken Lees #488 and Ponte Fractus #497 have all posted magnificent images.

All the best,

Ian.

Thiepval

BH Village Memorial

Mick

Ian, do try Flickr. It's dead easy. It's intuitive and clear. You can choose what size you want to upload without resizing in your own software; Flickr offers you three sizes and you pick the one you want. I use it for all of mine on forums.

(When working on images for myself, I use Paintshop Pro. Not being able to be confident what people are seeing is the most frustrating part of doing my photography course. So many variables... Even printing out gets colour discrepancies if the screen isn't calibrated.)

Gwyn

Ian, do try Flickr. It's dead easy. It's intuitive and clear. You can choose what size you want to upload without resizing in your own software; Flickr offers you three sizes and you pick the one you want. I use it for all of mine on forums.

(When working on images for myself, I use Paintshop Pro. Not being able to be confident what people are seeing is the most frustrating part of doing my photography course. So many variables... Even printing out gets colour discrepancies if the screen isn't calibrated.)

Gwyn

Mick,

Great image of the Thiepval Memorial!

Gwyn,

Many thanks for the advice, I have Flickr as part of my standard internet package. A couple of hopefully questions if you don't mind.

How do I set the default to be able to dictate the upload filesize that I want? I cannot seem to locate the setting.

How would you advise I then transfer an image into a GWF thread?

Basic questions I admit but to be honest whilst my internet search skills are reasonable/good I readily admit that my IT skills in photo handling "could be improved"!

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

Hi

How do I set the default to be able to dictate the upload filesize that I want? I cannot seem to locate the setting.

Do you mean 'the upload filesize' when uploading to Flickr? I don't set anything. I click on 'Choose photos and videos', browse for each photo, click on 'Add more' until I've listed all I want, then click on 'Upload photos and videos'. Or I use the batch upload tool. Then the next stage is to add any captions, then press save.

Usually I'll have done some work on images beforehand, but it doesn't matter if I haven't, it just ticks away uploading till it's finished. Unless your images are the size of a shop window, of course, then it might protest when you reach your limit for the month (if you have one).

How would you advise I then transfer an image into a GWF thread?

When you pick the image from your Flickr photostream, you click on it to select it, it opens and then you'll see a row of icons above the picture. Click on the one that says 'All sizes' - a plus sign and a magnifying glass.

The image will then open again at large size, but you'll see five options above the picture: square, thumbnail, small, medium and large. Play with this until you see the image size you want. (Large sometimes distorts the forum page.)

Under the image is a pink header which says, 'To link to this photo on other websites you can either:' Go to the second option down, which says '2. Grab the photo's URL:'

Under this is a box with a URL in it. (Something like http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/387365...4319a7371f.jpg) Highlight and grab the entire URL ready to copy it. It'll sit there on your clipboard until the next stage, which is.......

Back in the GWF post:

In the Post Reply box, put your cursor on the spot where you want the image to appear. Eg it might be under / above a caption, or in the middle of a para.

Above the box where you write text is a row of icons. Click on the one that's like a picture with hills and a sun (4th from the right) - mouseover will tell you that it's the 'Insert image' button. This will give you a dialogue box. Past the URL you've grabbed into it. Click ok.

Make sure your URL is pasted into the right position among the text within the post and there you go!

Click 'Add reply'. Et voilà!

Honestly, it's dead simple, once you've done it a time or two. I hope this makes sense.

Gwyn

Is the memorial at BH new?.

Norman

1920's I would imagine.

Mick

Gwyn,

Thanks for the advice, I just tried and have now edited this post to remove the links.

All I get is the link and not the image but it's clearly a useful filesize reduction tool. I'll probably use it to reduce the file size then save it to my laptop locally and then upload the image.

Hopefully that will work.

All the best,

Ian

Ian - did you -

post-16-1252503989.jpg

1920's I would imagine.

Mick

Actually some research tells me that it was late 1930's.

Mick

Gwyn,

D'oh! :blush: !

Next time this idiot is provided with simple to follow instructions he promises to read them properly.

3903633490_f87fa280f9.jpg

Many thanks Gwyn it is a simple as you have kindly outlined - hopefully the image above will also look like I can see it now when I view it on my home laptop tonight! The sunlight hitting the trees should be a gold brown (unless of course I am colour blind!).

All the very best,

Ian.

Our lone soldier in Ebenezer United Church Cemetery, Milton Ontario Canada.

We found him all alone, so we made him his own wreath for the Remembrance Day Ceremonies in 2008.

The card on the stick is a summary of his service for visitors to read.

Private Kingsbury

Lest We Forget

post-42-1252553230.jpg

Pleased it worked, Ian! The second attempt is certainly crisper and sharper than the version you originally uploaded.

Having two windows open speeds up the process even more. (One Flickr and the other the target website, eg GWF.)

Gwyn :)

Another one of mine

post-2154-1252958184.jpg

Anthony,

I have to say that yours is a beautiful image from the Menin Gate and not the first really striking image of Menin on this thread.

Best regards,

Ian.