Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs

Guest Stoner

Let's see if you're still lucky! :)

th_IMG_5440.jpg

This was taken in Doiran British Cemetery, Doirani, Greece, on the same trip. On the skyline, on Colonial Hill, is the Doiran Memorial to the Missing.

Keith

Yes another free phone!, but seriously though that photosite is pretty awful and totally spoils the pleasure of seeing the photos that you have posted. Flickr is just so much better than this. Thanks for showing us your images they deserve better. My photo above is linked from Flickr which has no advertising whatsoever.

Regards

Norman

You're luckier than I am, then, Norman! Perhaps I don't get the ads because I'm a user of the site but I haven't seen anything like you two have all the time I've been using it.

Keith

Keith here is the screen for the last photo that you posted. Really annoying and made even more so by the fact that the adverts move thereby rendering the images unviewable. Still waiting for my free phones.

Regards

Norman

6519841239_e127f5b279.jpg

Norman

It must be something to do with your browser or settings. I just see the image, as part of the post and clicking on it brings up an image that takes up say 1/3 of the screen with an unfussy photobucket background.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Deutscher Soldatenfriedhof – Langemarck

6613125215_6cfc181fa6_z.jpg

You do not know what Flanders means.

Flanders means endless human endurance.

Flanders means blood and scraps of human bodies.

Flanders means heroic courage and faithfulness even unto death.

Norman

fantastic, stunning photography and very emotional material. were there any shots of vlamtinghe new cemetery ypres, or did i miss it? my grandad's younger brother, 915949 A J Moyse is buried there. D.12-9-1917 i hope to book up and get there this year! please keep posting, an excellent and moving reminder. regards rodders

• 1 month later...

SANCTUARY WOOD, FLANDERS

Dead Man's Dump

The plunging limbers over the shattered track

Racketed with their rusty freight,

Stuck out like many crowns of thorns,

And the rusty stakes like sceptres old

To stay the flood of brutish men

Upon our brothers dear.

From the poem by Isaac Rosenburg

4621231991_4ba9a46bc5_z.jpg

Norman

HIGH WOOD – THE SOMME

High Wood to Waterlot Farm,

All on a summer's day,

Up you get to the top of the trench

Though you're sniped at all the way.

If you've got a smoke helmet there

You'd best put it on if you could,

For the wood down by Waterlot Farm

Is a bloody high wood.

E.A. MacKintosh

Lieutenant MacKintosh MC was wounded and gassed at High Wood in August 1916. He died on the 21st November 1917 at the battle of Cambrai just 24 years old.

3408313889_4613ec3432_z.jpg

Norman

Clitheroe - Lancashire

3798484078_43434fca57_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is an absolutely fantastic thread and can't understand why I didn't see it before. The images are brilliant and some very emotional. Thank you to those members who have contributed with their photos. It is a thread to which I will keep coming back.

• 3 weeks later...

post-46435-0-96192000-1334439919.jpg

Dear All

This is a great thread and the talent out there is amazing.

My offerings more form the heart than expertise

One of the more "Assertive" (if that is the right word) memorials I have seen. But really gets across the suffering. The memorial at Mort Homme, Verdun. "They did not Pass" is the translation.

Regards

Guy

Dear All

And finally I took this one some years ago in the woods near Verdun. The spade head was just sat there (And I hope it still is) with light dappled through the trees. It was the first time I came across a battlefield remains and it was a strange experience that moved as much as the memorials. Almost as if an unmarked memorial to the missing fallen.

Guy

I have run out of photo load quota. Sorry.

Dear All

And finally I took this one some years ago in the woods near Verdun. The spade head was just sat there (And I hope it still is) with light dappled through the trees. It was the first time I came across a battlefield remains and it was a strange experience that moved as much as the memorials. Almost as if an unmarked memorial to the missing fallen.

Guy

Guy this one was taken near the village of Douaumont and is “as seen” of material turned up by the workmen widening the forest rides.

Norman

1402902192_a77473b2b1_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I quite like this. Prowse Point, August 2011.

Roger

post-42671-0-13491200-1336501251.jpg

And also this one of the Brooding Soldier - also August 2011.

Roger

post-42671-0-47997400-1336501926.jpg