The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs

Guest Stoner

Greetings All

My first post on this magnificent forum. Two photos, both from the tower at the Australian National War Memorial Villers-Bretonneux. The first 1st June 2008, the second 5th June 2009, showing the outer row of trees missing.

I believe this was done as the trees were regarded as not healthy and unlikely to survive till 2018, when there will be major remembrances. When I looked at the trees in '08 and '09 they seemd perfectly healthy to me. As LeighC says the inner row is now taken down

A few years ago I started a project to visit the 300 boys from my old school Sydney Grammar School (Sydney Australia) remembered with honour on the magnificent World War one memorial in the 'big schoolroom'. It has been a immensely emotional journey but with great satisfaction.

Regards

Philip C

• Admin

Me too- I read that a visitors centre was planned for Villers Brettoneaux, could the clearing on the trees on the outer row have something to do with that?

Michelle

Here are my two favourite photos one taken last year in Ypres and the second taken about 5 years ago at Guillemont cemetery on the Somme.

post-51798-043644500 1281228131.jpg

post-51798-098366600 1281228143.jpg

Hi All,

Here are a few photographs, taken over the last year. Free Beer (if in Belgium :thumbsup: ) for anyone who can name all the sites.

post-19785-089817300 1281286708.jpg

post-19785-033190600 1281286753.jpg

Three for me.. 2 not sure on..

Free beer for me in my fridge!

Greetings All

A few notes on photos in 576 above.

Villers-Bretonneux is off to the left. When looking from the tower it is easy to imagine the mighty 15th Brigade under 'Pompey' Elliott looping around the North of V-B joining up with the 13th Bde under Glasgow coming from the South, Hangard Wood, on Anzac Day 1918. to beat off the German counter attack. Clarence Wallach, an old boy of SGS, was severely wounded during the initial capture on 22nd April, later died from gangrene. It is not hard to let your imagination wander in a place so redolent with history.

June 2008 was taken with a Leica DX3 set on 16:9 aspect ratio (widescreen) thius fits my widescreen monitor perfectly as a desktop image. The Leica is a compact camera, identical, I believe, to a Panasonic (model # ??).

June 2009 was taken with a Nikon D700 with a 24-120 lens .. this is a full size DSLR and is a very serious camera. I had purchase it only the week before and hadn't learnt all its 'secrets'. A Polarising filter was used with this image.

The 'mistiness' of the 2008 image and the 16:9 appeals to me. Also the presence of the two rows of trees. I believe from what 'leighc' said (575) the inner row of trees are now gone. I am very pleased I have the 2008 image. If anyone wants this as a desktop image leave your email (I do not have enough posts for PMs) and I will forward (it is a 4.9mb image).

Beautiful photos from Dawley and NZEF, I recognize Ypres, Buttes, Mametz wood and Vimy, plus an obvious German cemetery.

Judy beautiful, atmospheric photo .. do you wonder if Samuel Hawkes, although born in NZ, saw snow before leaving Oz?

Whilst visiting Ypres (Ieper) the magnificent Cathedral had a small gem typical of so much that one finds in the WW1 areas of Belgium and France .....

Hi All,

Sorry, I had meant to reply with locations for my photos but forgot!

Fist two are Vimy & Buttes on ANZAC day this year. Very moving ceremony.

The second two are Ramparts cemetery , Ieper & Mametz

Then we have Ovillers cemetery near Albert and an Italian monument in Liege communal cemetery. The CWGC plot can just be seen to the right. And finally Ieper cloth hall clock tower.

There are some amazing and very moving photographs on this thread. Well done everyone!

Regards

Grant

Judy beautiful, atmospheric photo .. do you wonder if Samuel Hawkes, although born in NZ, saw snow before leaving Oz?

Not something I'd thought of but I expect he may well have seen snow in NZ. He then went to Melbourne (doesn't usually snow right in Melbourne but can do so in the surrounding areas) and then to country WA (plenty of frost). I placed a NZ flax cross for him some time ago so he has a part of his homeland, and I also take over bottlebrush and wattle and some gum leaves now and then. I like this one the best of the photos I have taken of his headstone. He seems so alone there - however I do know it is a family grave and his record says he was 'buried with his kinsfolk'.

Judy

Judy-Very atmospheric and how thoughtful to take NZ flowers.

Grant- I'm really chuffed I got the first 4 right. There is just 'something' about Ramparts

Lindsey

I was there about 7am on ANZAC day all by myself. It was very moving. ANZAC day always gets me though.

And here we have a picture that combines the sad side of the ANZAC spirit.

post-19785-055738200 1281451281.jpg

One Of my favourite spots on the Aisne . Near where Captain Walterr Bloem saw British troops crossing the water meadows from Venizel

post-44645-050757300 1281900767.jpg

i think this must be one of the best great war photos i have ever took michaelpost-7152-035905600 1282071448.jpg

Some from me to add to this thread...been awhile.

post-15846-063210000 1282226105.jpg

post-15846-067884900 1282226188.jpg

post-15846-002133600 1282226216.jpg

post-15846-098425600 1282226297.jpg

recently taken at china wall,the cwgc gardeners really deserve to be told what a good job they do,this trip we went to hedge row trench/1st dcli/woods, a bit off the beaten track for those that know,again gardeners magnificent

Biff

post-2161-026650700 1282496186.jpg