Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs

Guest Stoner

Thank you,

I actually took this one last Monday afternoon. It looks much better larger, but it's looks ok (ish) a bit smaller

• 3 weeks later...

Dave,

Thanks for posting the great images...my favourite is your first one with poppies in the foreground.

All the best,

Ian.

p.s. I love this thread..I always feel the need to stop whatever else I am looking at if I notice someone has submitted a new post on it!

• 2 weeks later...

Dave post 529 is a superb picture

As Ian says a great thread

I would like to add a view of Serre no1 cemetery

Andy

post-10939-1255371771.jpg

• 1 month later...

CT-Guards,

Wonderful image, I particularly like what you have done in the "then and now" thread, you created some beautiful imagery on that thread, I especially liked the Delville Wood merged image.

All the best,

Ian. :poppy:

It is a poor quality picture, I know. But it has something very special to me.

I took this nearly 40 years ago when I was a young teenager. I did not "arrange" the subject in any way. The little daisy was already there, in the middle between the cartridges. I remember I titled it "War and Peace".

The place where I took it is called Filon del Mot, a long ridge departing from Monte Scorluzzo near Stelvio Pass (Stilfserjoch). The ridge was held by the Italians, while the mountain top was in Austrian hands from the first to the last days of war.

Acces is easy nowdays, paths and trenches has been restored, dangerous goods has been cleared and plates tell the visitors the story that passed through those places. Visiting the place was quite an adventure 40 years ago and the area was scattered with "interesting" things. I still have a water-bottle complete with it's cork from that day, and my little friend found an Adrian helmet that still decorates a beam on the facade of his family's hayloft.

Franz

post-50322-1258822842.jpg

• 3 months later...

Bryan, I hope you don't mind I played with this one a little.

post-38150-1266868262.jpg

i took this photo many years go but its the best photo i have ever took on the western front michael

post-7152-1266965005.jpg

Nice pic, Ken. I imagine you had to get down on the deck to take that one. I've had some strange looks from people if I've been out and about photographing old local buildings and the like - sometimes to get that vital shot you have to put yourself in some weird places.

Nice to see this thread brought to life again too.

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent photo Ken, where is the location?.

Norman

Sorry for the delay Norman, I missed your reply.

It is Bull's Road Cemetery, Flers looking back towards the village.

Ken

I've just found another one of mine whilst looking for something else:

That is the DB's! Stunning.

Roger

Oh, Ken!

That is simply superb.

I well remember walking that very field with you.

That was the field upon which Mortimer Pim received his mortal wound, which ended in his burial at Heilly Station Cem, just a few posts above.

Now, you will be able to get to that very spot on a regular basis, you lucky dog!

Bruce

Oh, Ken!

That is simply superb.

I well remember walking that very field with you.

That was the field upon which Mortimer Pim received his mortal wound, which ended in his burial at Heilly Station Cem, just a few posts above.

Now, you will be able to get to that very spot on a regular basis, you lucky dog!

Bruce

And that walk was in August, 2003, Bruce. How time flies!

Good grief!

It can't have been seven years ago, could it???

regards to the "better half" and hope she is completing her recovery, and that the house is still standing.

You can get to the field a lot more easily now!

Green with envy!

Bruce and Ayesha

• 1 month later...