Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 German Officers Photo Albums

StAubyns

egbert

I think you are right regards the last 3 photos on Page 23. You will see the same thing on Page 25.

I'll finish of page 24

Page 24 Photo 4

94099.jpg

Geoff

Hello:

Here is a pre-war postcard of Overmeire (near Dendermonde)

5e1b4ki.jpg

Source:

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Overmeire-Uytberge...bayphotohosting

During the centuries the name of the village changed between OVERMEIRE and OVERMAIRE. The German caption to the picture is just individual. OBER = OVER. During the occupation of Belgium the Germans used to give German-sounding names to towns, villages, hamlets and so on. This explains why there is to read "Obermaire" instead of OVERMAIRE or OVERMEIRE.

Malte

Graham

I must admit that defining East & West by border colour is not something that even entered my mind! I do however, think that the album changed owners at Page 20, the new compiler starting at Page 21. There are no white ink captions before Page 21, the photos are different in size, texture and border, except 24/2 & 24/3, which compare with those up to Page 20. Having said that, there is one photo, Page 16/2 which is similar to those after Page 20. The album changes again at Page 25, most of the photographs have obviously been cut. Do these exceptions make my theory of a new owner invalid? Or do exceptions prove the rule? :(:)

As to more photo's, I am just scanning the rest of the album on to my Hard Drive and I will post some more tomorrow evening. Not to many left though, although no doubt egbert knows exactly how many!

Malte

I spent an hour this morning on Google looking for modern photographs of Overmeire but could only find postcards on Ebay, as you have done. There no Town Guides available with photo's that I could find.

Geoff

Guest Brian Kay

Hello All

I have been informed by the vendor of these albums to myself and Geoff that the dealer who had puchased these albums previously had found loose photos in the second album which he stuck in at random on the pages.

This may account for pictures not being in any logical order and it may be a futile thread to try to read anything into the order of the shots.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Geoff,

I think we agree on the transfer at P20/P21. Hadn’t picked-up on A2 P16 P1 and P2 – but this is possibly more evidence for a transfer of ownership (or at least two different photographers. This is the same place, same scene at approximately the same time of year but on different days. It seems unlikely that the same photographer would photograph the same scene and then develop (or have developed) these rolls using different techniques. What we may have here is a cross-over of the works of the two ‘owners’ and given the re-organization of the loose photographs as noted by Brian may have been a matter of placing like-with-like. In regard to the re-organization I just hope that none of the captioned views have been reorganized.

Graham

Graham

dont worry, any additional photo's that have been added, and according to Brians information they have, are at the end of the album. Brian has found the third contributor. I always thought there were 3, now I'm sure!

Geoff

One thing that has bothered me about posting the photographs in Album order is that maybe I am sitting on information that would solve some of the location mysteries of the photographs. Up to now I don't think that this has happened. If this is the case with this next photograph, please accept my apologies.

Page 25 Photo 1

post-4232-0-03773600-1328528485.jpg

Geoff

The placename Ryadki in Cyrillic is рядки. This translates into English as “The Rows’ so it is possibly the name of the farmstead - unless there is some German equestrian or military term ‘the rows’ that has some deeper meaning.

Graham

Page 25 Photo3

96413.jpg

Geoff

P 25, P 3: "Kurs 5 Unterstand am Narotsch-See, Sommer 16." = [training-]course 5, shelter at Narotch lake, summer 16.

best

Malte

Thanks Malte

It looks like the same building is in the background of 25/1 as 25/3

Graham

Sorry I cant comment, you are way above my head! :) hopefully someone can comment on your suggestion.

Geoff

Geoff,

Just another place identified from an earlier part of album 2 (in two parts).

A2 P8 P4 and A2 P9 P2 are of the Lithuanian town of Kalvarija

post-5936-1137852915.jpg

A2 P9 P2 shows the Church of the Virgin Mary with the Šešupę River in the foreground. This was the main road from Suwalki in Poland at the eastern end of the Masurian Lakes to Marijampole and then on to Kaunas.

Here’s a current view of the church.

post-5936-1137852978.jpg

Part 2

A2 P8 P4 is a view along Laisvės Gatvė (Freedom Street)

Heres a view of the street today taken from approximately the same position

post-5936-1137853146.jpg

It would appear that the burnt out gabled building with the three upper windows facing the camera still survives.

post-5936-1137853218.jpg

Half of Kalvarija was destroyed during the fighting in 1915 – it was then rebuilt in the inter-war period. During the Second World War about half of the town was again destroyed so its amazing that anything survives at all

Graham

I am not any more convinced, that the "Flabas" picture infact is a picture of the real Flabas near Verdun. See the collage and compare yourself:

post-80-1137869932.jpg

A scan of the churh - not much of an improvement but a spiky church it is

post-4232-0-77417600-1328529092.jpg

Graham how do you do it? thats amazing!

Geoff