Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 German Officers Photo Albums

StAubyns

Page 28 Photo1

99203.jpg

"Schneemänner i. Unterstand d. I. Geschütz bei [W ... utki ???]" = Snowmen in shelter of 1st gun at (W...)

could you give the full text please .

I had thought about the cross, I checked and no words. It is attached at 1500dpi so you can see

post-4232-0-67792500-1328530245.jpg

Pity about this

Geoff

And still the sense of humour in the text to the photographs. Are these still on the eastern front?

Thanks for keeping it going Geoff and Malte - things have been quiet for a few days

ckbeans

A2 P26P5o

Wolhynien is now the western province of Ukraine. This was formerly part of Poland. The November 1916 date of the photograph follows the October photograph from Warsaw A2 P23 P5o possibly indicating a move from northern Belarus to the northern part of the Galician sector (Galicia = Halych’ is just to the south of Volyn’) via Hrodno and Warsaw.

post-5936-1138448944.jpg

In June 1916 the Russians launched a major offensive (the Brusilov offensive) primarily directed at the Austro-Hungarian forces in Galicia but extending to Volyn’. This was reinforced by the German Army in August and September (in the latter month the Kaiser visited Kovel and Volodymyr-Volynskyy in the Volyn’ sector). Heavy, sporadic fighting continued in this area throughout the rest of the year but the offensive was effectively over by September 1916.

Any translation on the Snowmen’s locality? It looks a bit like Wnuki – this transcribes as Внуки. Unfortunatley this translates as ‘grandsons’ – any alternative would be welcome.

Graham

Thanks for the information Graham. I still cant beleive what it is possible to discover from a few words and untitled photographs from so long ago. Not far to go, so here are the next 2 pages. I believe this is the start of the third stage of the album, the unattached photo's that Brian mentioned. Only 2 photos on each of these 2 pages.

Page 29 Photo 1

post-4232-0-21301000-1328530395.jpg

Geoff

Geoff et al,

Pages 25, 26, 27 and 28 are all Eastern Front. Pages 29 and 30 are Western Front (although A2 P30 P1o could be either – any idea on the origins of the artillery piece - German, French, British or Russian?). The building shown in A2 P30 P2 is the same building shown in A2 P4 P2 photographed following the collapse of the lower section of the façade on the left hand end of the building.

I monkeyed around with A2 P3 P4 and A2 P4 P4 – these form a panorama (see below)

Graham

post-5936-1138499896.jpg

Observation is all, Graham, now all we need is is the location. Happy whale watching Egbert and keep going Geoff, although I do not want the adventure of this thread to end yet.

Have followed this so closely but am still interested in the notion of the panoptikum!

ckbeans

Unfortunately, theres not much left to keep going with! Thanks for the panorama Graham, I certainly missed it.

The penultimate page, with 3 photographs and a close up of the name on photo 2

Page 31 Photo 1

post-4232-0-15042300-1328531813.jpg

Geoff