Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 German Officers Photo Albums

StAubyns

I said that I would post the photographs that did not get any comments so far. Here are the first 4, and I can well understand why they did not get much attention. But the second time round someone may have somethink to say

104196.jpg

Geoff

second sheet

104229.jpg

A1 P17 P2 is quite strange....the end figures on the right as you look at the photograph look as if they have been drawn in, as do the birds above them.

The soldier in A1 P17 P1 certainly seems well prepared

Geoff

Hello Geoff, the answer is no (in both cases).

I spent yesterday afternoon by doing a search on the same site but took the way from Z to A. As I came to B I firstly thought I was lucky because I found this:

bertincourt2011111170sv.jpg

BERTINCOURT

But as I realized the small differences I found myself standing at the point again from where I had started the search, at Z (which could stand for ZERO).

This afternoon I disordered myself to add the Bertincourt-pic to the other in "support-topic 1" because I suddenly got doubts. But comparison with other pics of Bertincourt church finally made my wiser and I removed this pic from the topic.

So the search for the place is going on. But I am per 100% sure that the church was or still is standing in Pas de Calais. Many pics in the church-site did not appear or were not available. We should look forward to find the place.

A search on the Regimental history of Reserve-Feldartillerie-Regiment 67 did not lead to any positive result. No equivalents, not even one.

So gets back to Feldartillerie-Regiment 67. It's pretty hard work since I have not got its regimental history.

But it is a fascinating cooperation on this forum. Many many thanks to all who helped and contributed !

Malte

Malte

do you know of any more sites that list churches in France & Belgium; I should have some spare time over the next few days

or

how about sending the photograph of the unknown church to the site we have already searched? I cant find a contact for the site, do you know how to contact the site owners?

Geoff

• 9 months later...

Unbelievably to me, its 12 months since I started this thread (only one hour out!)

But I would still like to find out some of the missing locations, starting with this one.

With the help of members of this Forum we put the owners names to the albums which seemed an impossible task at the time.

maybe we can put a name to the Church

post-4232-1164132043.jpg

regards

Geoff

Malte;

I am trying to get on "live Chat" (which I have never entered) in reponse to your PM, and I am not being successful; my connection always times out. I will try again, you could also e-mail me at: boblembke@aol.com . please do not send me any e-mails that my amazingly rich cousin was boiled in a pot in Nigeria and I only have to write to get his $20,000,000 (why is it always $20,000,000?), or that I have won the National Lottery of Tibet.

Bob Lembke

Wow, fascinating thread! Have jut come across it this afternoon and spent a couple of hours going through it.

You know, for some reason, some of the photos taken 'in the east' make me think of Kaliningrad, which used to be Königsberg, the capital of East Prussia. I suppose that rather makes sense since it is next to Lithuania, and could therefore share some similarity in architectural style. Unless some of them actually are taken in Königsberg?

Allie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff,

I am a bit late for this party but some information regarding Hauptmann d.R. Rüsse.

Herr Rüsse was commissioned into Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 67 as a Leutnant der Reserve on the 18th of April 1900 with a Patent of seniority of 18.4.00 G2g. A Prokurist by profession living at Freudenbergerstraße 10 in Siegen, he remained on reserve duty with the same regiment and went to war with it in 1914 having been promoted to Oberleutnant der Reserve on the 22nd of March 1910. At the time of his promotion to Hauptmann der Reserve on the 13th of October 1914 he was still serving with FAR 67. He survived the war.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Geoff,

I am a bit late for this party but some information regarding Hauptmann d.R. Rüsse.

Regards

Glenn

I for one am delighted to see the simply amazing Glenn J post on this Forum. Welcome, Glenn!

Delighted in Philadelphia,

Bob Lembke

Ahoj!

I am fairly sure that the bridge over the Vistula in Warsaw is the Poniatowski bridge. The 4 central "arches" (I lack the correct English word here - the parts between the pillars) were blown up by the Russians in 1915, and then provisorically rebuild. Opened in Septmeber 1916, the wooden parts burnt down in August 1917.

I'm unhappy about the towers - they are too tall - but I vaguely remember some smaller ones. Tomorrow I will see if there are some smaller ones - funny the things one does NOT notice comuniting over that bridge for some two years ... apart from the bridge there is a long flyover leading to it, so scope for lots of towers.

http://www.warszawa1939.pl/index.php?r1=mo...skiego&r3=0

But after the 1921-27 and 1946 rebuilds the bridge CAN look differently to the its 1916 incarnation.

ADDED LATER:

As to that place near Lake Narocz - Krivonovy doesn't seem right. It would mean "crooked/bent-new". I'd venture a case of misshearing the name.

I support Krivo-nosy - "crooked/hooked nose" or maybe even Krivonohy - "bow legged". Krivonohy would correctly be written Krivonogy (or Krivonogi), as in Belarus "g" is pronounced as a harsh "h".

To add to the confusion, in Polish materials these could be Krywonosy or Kriwonosy, Kriwonohy/Krywonogi, maybe even Krzywonosy/Krzwywonogi.

Borys

Thanks Bob,

it is such a huge thread, one does not really know where to start or what has already been covered. I assume the "much unloved" regimental commander was the then Oberstleutnant Georg Remmert.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks Bob,

it is such a huge thread, one does not really know where to start or what has already been covered. I assume the "much unloved" regimental commander was the then Oberstleutnant Georg Remmert.

Regards

Glenn

No, Glenn, the much unloved company commander (of 2. Kompagnie, Garde=Reserve=Pioniere=Regiment) was an Oberleutnant der Infanterie was the one shot, and seems to have been expunged from the rolls of the regiment after this incident. I do not have his name, but may have his signature in my father's Militaer=Pass.

The regimental CO was the much esteemed Major der Landwehr Dr. jur. Bernhard Reddemann, quite a remarkable guy. Among other things, he edited two scientific journals throughout the war.

Bob Lembke

Hi Bob,

I was referring to the caption on I think page 2 of this thread regarding the "sehr unbeliebten Regiments-Kommandeur". Oberstleutnant Georg Remmert commanded Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 22 from 31 October 1914 to 22 February 1917. Promoted to Oberst on 18 October 1917 he retired as a Generalmajor.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks, Bob, Glenn & Borys for the additional info, all is gratefully received.

Some interesting points raised in these last few posts.

First of all, for some reason I had not realised that the actual name of "the very unloved Regimental Commander" had not been posted. I had assumed wrongly that the Corps Commander , V Francois, and our "unloved person" was one and the same.

Secondly, the fact that Herr Russe survived the war brings into doubt my theory that 3 different hands had been involved in the second album. I thought that the originator of the album had died during the course of the war and 2 others had kept it up. Time to think again maybe.

The fact that Herr Russe survived maybe means that he has kin that are traceable. Any thoughts on that?

many thanks for the continued interest and input,

regards

Geoff

Geoff;

Two brief thoughts: von Francois was a character, I think; his actions at the very start of the war were remarkable, and not necessarily in a positive sense. I think that he started the war as a corps commander, and finished the war as one, which is a clue.

I have similar instincts when I have something that might be traced back to a family of decendants, say, a Militaer=Pass, but then I realize that the article may have been on e-Bay precisely because of disinterest on the part of the family, who may have sold it for a pittance to put it on the market in the first place.

Bob Lembke