Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 German Officers Photo Albums

StAubyns

time for one more egbert

Page 21 Photo 2

post-4232-0-49996500-1328518843.jpg

I think that these photographs are different to the previous ones; maybe a new owner of the album?

Geoff

Of course we see a AAA site with Flak (Flugabwehrkanone) or gun in the picture.

Feuerstellung=tactical site/ firing site

last words: Sommer 1916=summer 1916

...and than the pretty weird difficult part: I read "Fluggzeug Kan/h (for the correct written word "Flugzeug"=aircraft, it is one g to much!!), also what does "h" stands for("h" for "hoch"= high??)

On the other hand, i could also read "Flaggzug Kan/h" ("Flaggzug" would be written wrong as the correct spelling is "Flakzug". Flakzug means AAA platoon).

Personally I opt for Flugzeug Kan/h. I think we need some more opinions here

egbert

you can see more than me!

But as a non german speaker or reader, if the letter at the end of the first word is a "g" (Feuerstellung) are there not 4 "g"s in the second word?

BTW, where has Malte got to, no doubt taking some winter sun :)

Now I understand your feelings about a lot of viewers of Grandads Trunk but not many contributors. (and I know I was one of the guilty ones) :ph34r:

Geoff

egbert

you can see more than me!

But as a non german speaker or reader, if the letter at the end of the first word is a "g" (Feuerstellung) are there not 4 "g"s in the second word?

BTW, where has Malte got to, no doubt taking some winter sun :)

Now I understand your feelings about a lot of viewers of Grandads Trunk but not many contributors. (and I know I was one of the guilty ones) :ph34r:

Geoff

Geoff, you want to see 3 "g"s and 1 "z"! Thats the secret of Suetterlin :D

Malte? I don't know i emailed him to no avail. Did somebody tease him too much? Are his excellent pics reinstated or lost?

Geoff,

Haven’t been to Lithuania yet – I’m still coming to grips with the language before attempting the trip.

Again some more interesting photographs. The sequence on P20 was a bit perplexing until I realised that the ‘rocks’ in the water were bodies. The location of this action is likely to be identifiable with a bit of research.

The photograph of the bridge in A2 P15 P4 is possibly in western Lithuania. To me this appears to be a railway bridge (engineers and railway enthusiasts feel free to disagree). In 1916 the German Army constructed two major rail links – one northward from Tauragė to join the Šiauliai-Radviliškis line (approx. 110km) and a line from Šiauliai to Jelgava in Latvia (approx. 85km). Jelgava was the main rail hub in western Latvia and was already linked by rail to Riga. The two lines constructed by the Germans in 1916 thus provided a direct rail link between Germany and Riga. As part of the line from Tauragė the 599m long Lyduvénai viaduct was constructed across the Dubysa River – this is still in use.

The German Army also constructed a series of light rail lines in other parts of Lithuania (apparently using French PoWs) in order to exploit the country’s extensive timber reserves.

Graham W.

Lyduvénai viaduct

post-5936-1136616362.jpg

Edited by gcwilson

Just another location identified

A2 P18 P1o

Church of St Raphael the Archangel (left) with the River Neris in the foreground, Vilnius, Lithuania.

Attached image – the church today.

Graham W.

post-5936-1136622759.jpg

Geoff

Geoff, as I said to Egbert when he was a bit 'down' at the apparent lack of input to his great thread - the ultimate satisfaction with a personal thread must be one's own satisfaction. Many people will view without comment. They will have a passing interest, and the thread may be of 'entertainment' rather than education.

But that said, I find that (and this is the case with your interesting albums) something rubs off on you after a while. I had only passing interest in the Eastern Front of WW1, but now your pics have bought to life an area

of which I knew little. Plus the clarity of some of the views make them look almost contemporary.

So, this is just to add to your post for 'morale' purposes, should you be wilting at a lack of contribution.

Please keep it coming!

Ian

PS: the third 'g' in 'Fluggzeug' is a 'z' but it still has one 'g' too many!

Graham

Your input is really appreciated. I intend to make copy albums with the english translations, documents and "same place today photographs" when this little project is complete. So, the more the merrier! :)

Ian,

I probable would not have added the final comment to the thread you refer to, if it had not been posted after a visit to the local on friday night. However your support is most welcome. I do realise that there is limited interest and that this is very much a personal thread that is being closely followed by Brian Kay & ckbeans who are joint owners.

egbert,

"Suetterlin"? Not a word that I am familiar with. One thing for certain, I cannot read it!

Geoff

Edited by StAubyns

Geoff I am following this thread with interest. If can contribute something useful I will :D in the meantime I'm leaving it to those that know what they're on about.

Roger.

21/3 is difficult again:

Parzenka-Insel im Narisch (or Naritsh) See, sommer 16

=

Isle of Parsenka in Lake Narisch/Naritsh, summer 1916

I cannot find such locations in the East :(

Egbert.

There is a town called Naryshki, or Nariskiai, in the north east of Lithuania.

Not been able to find any reference to Parsenska in connection to it though.

Neil

Ischery. Summer 1916.

Man I don't find the island, the lake and the town in my atlas. Anybody more successful here? Anybody from Lithuania in this forum????

Sorry Binthere – it’s definitely not Kaunas (Kovno). Here’s a 1904 version of the site showing the church and

Žaliasis tiltas (Green Bridge) in Vilnius.

Graham W.

post-5936-1136690965.jpg

OK – thanks Egbert for deciphering the captions.

These photographs and the lake scenes on page 20 of the album are in present-day Belarus. “Narisch See” ("Narosch See") is Озеро Нарочь - Lake Naroch’. (Photo 1 is a location map, Phot 2 is a view of the Lake at the present time – could be anywhere right?)

A Belarussian site:

http://globus.tut.by/naroch_myad/

has a number of interesting photographs of Germany military cemeteries and military structures associated with the fighting in 1915. I’ve reproduced a couple below as Photos 3 and 4). If you have trouble with Cyrillic script then copy the URL, open up Babel Fish, paste in the URL, select the language from Russian to whatever you like and go.

In searching for Lake Naroch’ I came across this site:

http://www.warchron.com/index.htm

The chronology is the best I’ve seen for operations on the Eastern Front (although you have to be careful – when the site refers to the Western Front it’s talking about the Western Front of the Eastern Front and not France-Belgium. A search under Naroch will bring up the relevant entries.

There’s also this link:

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/lakenaroch.htm

I’m still working on the other details.

Graham W.

post-5936-1136692568.jpg

post-5936-1136692638.jpg

post-5936-1136692703.jpg

post-5936-1136692750.jpg

Thanks Egbert,

The view of the lake in my previous post was a bit vague. The image below should be a little more familiar. I've also attached a satellite image of te north shore of the lake showing the island.

Graham W.

post-5936-1136698403.jpg

post-5936-1136698588.jpg

Graham,

I'm speechless, I would not have thought this level of identification possible!!!

I feel a bit surplus, I have looked on the internet but got nowhere. Many,many thanks. I'll just keep posting the pics :)

Geoff