Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 German Officers Photo Albums

StAubyns

Bottom pic on P22 caption says"An unauthorised private photograph showing General Herman von Francois, commander of 1 corps during an eastern front briefing."

The next page in the album

Page 16 photo 1

69796.jpg

Malte, is there a "22" on the side of the wagon? :)

Page 16 photo 2

69797.jpg

Geoff

Top one is on Page 140

I've just returned from 5 weeks at work and have enjoyed reading the 10 pages of this thread.

Just out of interest some of the photo's appear in Brassey's WW1 German Army by Stephen Bull.

Roger.

Geoff, did you buy the album from Stephen ?

Roger, Malte

I dont know who the seller was, by name. My mate Brian was offered these albums by a photograpic collector was not interested in WW1 photographs. They were available for sale for a substantial period before we decided to buy. I cannot imagine it was Stephen Bull.

Geoff

Geoff,

I aren't suggesting there is anything untoward going on or anything like that. It's just that when I was looking at the thread I got that "I've seen thet somewhere before" feeling.

Roger.

Roger

I am thinking the sooner I get in touch with Stephen Bull the better.On a personal basis I need to clear this with him. The albums were obtained legally as far as I am concerned. If he sold them on, then there is probably no problem. If they were stolen then they need returning.

Anyone have a contact for him?

Geoff

In the endpaper of his Brassey's books it says he is keeper of Military History at The Museum of Lancashire at Preston.

You could follow this link to try and contact him if he is still there.

Museum of Lancashire

Roger.

roger, egbert, Malte

Stephen Bull is Curator at the Museum. He is on leave at the moment and the museum staff are trying to contact him to clarify the position re the album. Until clarification is received, I will not post any more photographs

Geoff

roger, egbert, Malte

Stephen Bull is Curator at the Museum. He is on leave at the moment and the museum staff are trying to contact him to clarify the position re the album. Until clarification is received, I will not post any more photographs

Geoff

Geoff, is your reason to stop posting the fear you might post illegally? If the pictures are originals and not repros (which they are not) you should not be worried at all.

Let's hope that Stephen Bull makes contact quickly. This is tremendously exciting and any further information is eagerly awaited. Keep going Geoff, this has captivated so amy people. Thanks also to Eqbert, Malte and latterly Roger for bringing so much to the mystery.

ckbeans

I'm also looking forward to learning what happens next. Maybe there are two albums, belonging to officers of the same German unit and they were then "liberated" and brought to the UK as souvenirs.

Roger.

In addition I'd like to state the legal aspect for German "manufactured" photos: the term of copyright is 50 years after taking! I consider these pictures originals and German origin, so they are without copyright protection since long. That applies also if they have been printed elsewhere , lets say in the 1990s!!!! The copyright protection starts with "manufacturing" of a photo !!!!

I have considered how to progress from here over the weekend. On reflection, the only photographs atributed to once belonging to Dr Stephen Bull are in the first album. Looking through the photographs in the second album already posted here, and those remaining in the album to be posted, I can see no connection to the first album in any way whatsoever.

However, before I carry on I would like to ask if anyone reading this has seen any of the photographs in the second album anywhere else than here. If the answer is no; I will carry on.

Anyway, I will not be in a position to upload any more photographs for the next few days due to the fact that I have to work sometime, and year ends are one of them!

This will also give Dr Bull the chance to contact me before I carry on.

Regards

Geoff

Christmas quiz: what does this Airbus 330 has to do with Geoff's thread?

= Todays arrival from Amsterdam with my Christmas present onboard.

Hurray Geoff thank you for the Photo album CD

post-80-1135396058.jpg

egbert, pleased you like it! :)

The next page in the album

Page 13 Photo 1

A2P13P1o.jpg

Page 13 Photo 2

A2P13P2o.jpg

I hope we still think this is in the east!

Geoff