The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 German Officers Photo Albums

StAubyns

Amazing thread. Full of interest.

Very interested in the provenance of the photos and how they came to be previously published.

Well done to everyone involved in the detective work. What a great example of Anglo-German cooperation !

I don't know how to say this, but, Page 14 photo 2. I've seen that one before too I think. I'll report back if I can confirm my suspicions.

Roger.

Edited by roger

This photo also appears in Stephen Bulls Brassey book World War One German Army. The photo is of a 21 cm Morser.

I take it is from the second album?

Sorry.

Roger.

13/1,3,4 looks like either La Bassee canal or more likely the dry inland canal near moevres, which was still under construction and the banks were used as dug outs/shelters

"Panoptikum" is a real pain in the a....according to my earlier post the P. was in Russia; it does not fit into the Western Front photos

egbert,

could the building housing the "Panoptikum" be, say, part of the show and be portable? (he says grasping at straws)

Geoff

egbert

I dont see why the Panoptikum is a problem. We have so few identified places in the album, we should accept them for what we know them to be, wherever they are in the album. We have Mangelare, we have Poelkapelle church(amongst photos of what is considered to be East Prussia) we have a road with Russian prisoners of war, whereabouts unknown. We have a photo of the inside of a church that is in the east. You have a postcard of the same Panoptikum which states that it is in Russia. Why not accept that as a fact, it is the same picture as in the album, albeit amongst photos of what maybe La Bassee canal? :rolleyes:

regards

Geoff

Geoff,

Excellent images. The photos in volume 2 appear to show some mixing of localities - both Eastern Front and Western Front. Many of those from the Eastern Front suggest Lithuania or Latvia (or possibly Belarus) - I'm still trying to pin-down precise locations.

For comparison a similar album of private photographs by a German officer on the Eastern Front were uploaded last month. These are located at the following URLs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65817306@N00/sets/486575/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65817306@N00/sets/1219581/

Graham W.

With reference to the German Rifle grenade pictures on a previous page of the album - I remembered seeing some photographs of this equipment before. Here they are, from Vol iv of The Times History of the War.

Ian

And the second picture.

Ian

Graham, wonder where these albums are coming from! Its good to be able to see them as a slide show. I have just had time for a quick look and will get back to them when I have more time.

egbert, at least its in Russia. :) Did all Russian huts have roofs like that?

Ian, thanks for that. I'll post the photo again here for a direct comparison. I think it explains what he is holding in his hand!

74446.jpg

Geoff

Hello out there

As a panoptikum is translated as a waxworks and displayed amongst a fairground scene it may well have travelled around. It may also have been a popular way of morale boosting! Whatever I would still like to know if there have been other sightings.

Methinks that an itinery is emerging for our next visit to France

ckbeans

Dear All,

Its interesting that these albums have caused so much interest! I did indeed own two German officers WW1 photo albums (purchased at Auction - photographers unknown) and used pictures from them in many books and articles c.1985-2002. The rifle grenade picture has been shown many times, including the Osprey Trench warfare book (vol 1).

I thought that both albums had been compiled by artillery officers - and when in my possession one remained very much as first compiled, the other was much edited and stuck back together in a more modern volume. One of the officers seems to appear in at least one picture with his dog (an animal confusingly named Pussy !). Both men appear to have served on both fronts, and the names of at least two artillery units appear on gun carriages / cook wagons etc. From memory I think one was Westphalian, the other a Landwehr - but pictures were taken of several units visited apparently.

One or two of the shots of 210 mm pieces were so nice that I gave copies to the National Army Museum in London. Other pictures have been little used or researched - as for example the Allied leaders display, which I assumed was something improvised for the amusement of the battery.

Having owned these albums for about a quarter century I decided to sell the originals - via a much repected dealer. I hope the new owner gets as much pleasure from them as I did - and perhaps will share any new research on them with us all.

Happy New Year !

Stephen Bull

Welcome to the forum Stephen.

I also have your Osprey Trench warfare books as well as the Brassey book so when I saw the pics and recognised them I thought I'd better say something. The albums are very interesting in themselves but this little story has been interesting too.

Roger.

Dear All,

I've now had the chance to read thoroughly through all the previous postings on the albums - and fascinating it is too !

Just one or two small points to add. The first is that as far as I know I am the only thing connecting the two albums. They were both bought at auction, separately, and a little time apart. Nice to know that they have now stayed together. I had the impression with one of them (the mainly Eastern Front one) that the officer had compiled his own pictures, and then added a few which had been sent to him as postcards by others. This was intially confusing - but if you eliminate them from the main flow, the group of pictures then makes more sense.

Another place I have published some of these is in the Military Illustrated book 'Stormtrooper' - as for example pages 8,16, and 52. Since there was no obvious way to get in touch with anyone depicted in the pictures, and we do not know the identity of the person who actually clicked the shutter in each case 90 years ago, I have assumed there are no obvious copyright issues with reproduction. As far as I am aware there is no problem either with posting on the web, and no one has yet spotted themselves in a picture !

If there is a vexed 110 year old from Westphalia out there do let us know .....

Stephen Bull

When roger pointed out that some of the photographs had been published by Stephen Bull my main concern with the two albums was that they mave been stolen from him, I never had a problem re copyright issues.

I have spoken to Stephen Bull this afternoon and I am just very pleased that Brian Kay and myself are the rightful owners. :)

a very happy Geoff :):)

Nice to hear from Stephen and everything is as it should be. Right Geoff lets have some more pics :D

Roger.