Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 German Officers Photo Albums

StAubyns

Some really good photos there, very interesting. One query, perhaps Malte can help...the photo in post 20 says Fernsprechunderstand (telephone shelter?)...but the 2 soldiers appear to be wearing Red Cross armband, with a stretcher, and Red Cross over the door....surely it is an aid post? Peter

Bob

we have established that the first album was FAR 22, but this is the first identification in the second album, hopefully there will be more to come.

Peter

I am confused, where did you get the picture in your post?

regards

Geoff

Some really good photos there, very interesting. One query, perhaps Malte can help...the photo in post 20 says Fernsprechunderstand (telephone shelter?)...but the 2 soldiers appear to be wearing Red Cross armband, with a stretcher, and Red Cross over the door....surely it is an aid post? Peter

Hi Peter,

the caption is right, it's a telephone shelter, which often were for several use, mainly for communication and secondly as shelter for injured soldiers and medical service for example, especially when the area was under shellfire.

Malte

We certainly are in the east, from both the architecture and certainly the Orthodox church. Note the ikonostasis in the church, the wall across the room with ikone hung on it. (Please, no females beyond it. That was a constant pain to the female participants of a three month tour of Jugoslavija in 1971.)

So the two albums are from different veterans?

It would have been unlikely that Landsturm artillery were sent to the West Front from East Prussia, especially early in the war, and especially with such old guns, that don't seem to have recoil mechanisms.

Bob Lembke

Bob

I am sure the albums are from two different veterans. At this stage of the album there is almost no information. Later there is written text with each photograph but as to wether it can be read is a different matter.

Page 11 Photo 1

A2P11P1o.jpg

Geoff

11/1 looks Belgiumish to me, some Dutch architectural influence; there is a name in the facade, right side of tower, bottom of 2nd floor

egbert

Unless the album is jumbled about, we dont want to get to Belgium yet :(

the panopticum is very close, and thats GOT to be in Russia.

Page 11 Photo 1a

A2P11P1a.jpg

I think its just decorative stonework on a balcony

Page 11 photo 5a

cross.jpg

You may be right about the cross. Is this what you are referring to?

Geoff

Malte, thanks for that...I'll have a look around Bas Pommereau next time I'm in the area, many of the bunkers around Aubers are still there, possibly that one?

Geoff, the picture appeared in Malte's post no 50 in this thread, Peter.

Page 11 photo 3

Church of Poelkapelle (Flanders/Belgium)

Not bad, not bad Malte!!!!!

See picture depicted below from 1917. In comparison the picture from Geoff must be pre 1917:

Poelkapelle vor Ypern

Photopostkarte einer zerstörten Kirche vor Ypern

Verlag für allgemeines Wissen

Berlin, 1917

post-80-1134513064.jpg

I've just returned from 5 weeks at work and have enjoyed reading the 10 pages of this thread.

Just out of interest some of the photo's appear in Brassey's WW1 German Army by Stephen Bull.

Roger.

This seems to be getting a little complicated. Why have a photograph of Poelkpelle in the middle of photographs that are considered to be of eastern origin?

Roger , pleased you are enjoying the thread, your comments about Stephen Bull and the same photographs appearing in his book is thought provoking. Where do these albums come from?

Page 12 photo 1

A2P12P1o.jpg

Page 12 Photo 2

A2P12P2o.jpg

geoff

Geoff, the photo's in Stephen Bull's book that are the same as the ones in your album are credited to him. I wonder if it might be worth getting in touch with him?

Roger.

Roger,

thats an interesting thought and may well be worth pursueing. Is there any chance you could identify the photographs in this thread that are in Stephen Bulls book?

regards

Geoff

I thought this album title strange, it also looks rather modern but the contents are certainly OK

This is Page1 Photo 2

67063.jpg

This Page 1 Photo 1

67062.jpg

Geoff

Basse is in Lower Saxony

Top pic is on P 102 of WW1 German army

This is Page 2 photo 1

67096.jpg

This is Page 2 photo 2

67097.jpg

Geoff