Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 German Officers Photo Albums

StAubyns

22/1: Sportfest/ Kriwonowz 16= Sports Competition/ Kriwonowz 1916

22/2: Feuerstellung 3./67 Sommer 16= Firing position/Tactical position of 3./67 summer 1916

Thanks for keeping up the translations egbert, it really is appreciated. Photo 4 coming shortly may test you.

And what about Grahams input -superb!

Page 22 Photo 3

post-4232-0-75257700-1328520255.jpg

Geoff

Could Jachery be a person and not a place? Sorry to harp on about the panoptikum but could it have been an example of a rest/refreshment place behind the lines?

My interest is particularly the people in and behind the scenes in the photographs. The ability to find humour in the bleakest of situations finds it's way into many stories, songs and memories and perhaps the figures and accompanying words are an example of this.

If Geoff is away for a day or two, can anyone help. Maybe the 110 year old Westphalian or offspring who grew up listening to Dad's memoirs?

Here's hoping

ckbeans

Could very well be ckbeans! I am also torturing myself about the word "Mummenhoff" in 22/6: could be a name as well as this strange name indeed exists in German language according to google. Yes I think it's the name of the high ranking guy in the white coat

I’m in agreement with ckbeans and egbert in regard to Jachery. I’ve tried a number of combinations and permutations but found nothing in Russian or Byelorussian that even comes close. Could it be a nickname? – (remember good old HeiWei from Album 1).

With the location of the ‘Sportfest’ photographs I read the placename as Kriwonowy (Krivonovy) – both elements in the name are good Slavic forms but I’ve been unable to locate such a place. However there is a Krivonosy located in this part of Belarus so I’m wondering if the author of the albums misheard the name of the place that was not a normal part of his routine. I’ve attached a map showing the general location of Krivonosy as well as a more detailed image. In 1916 this place was about 30-50km from the front with a lake to the east, marshland to the south and the main road to Vilnius (and the West) to the north. The identification is still tentative.

A2 P22 P4 doesn’t need much explanation following Egbert’s translation. Grodno is now Hrodna in western Belarus and was occupied by the German Army on 3 September 1915.

Graham W.

post-5936-1136865242.jpg

post-5936-1136865287.jpg

Edited by gcwilson

I was just advised by Hinrich that the 3 letters prefix to the name "Mummenhoff" are to be "hpt" which in this case would mean Hpt= Hauptmann=Captain.

Further information on Mummenhoff:

In the "Ehrenrangliste" (as of 1914) two officers are mentioned:

> 1. Hauptmann Mummenhoff, retired as Oberstleutnant=Lieutenant Colonel, from Lower-Alsace, Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 31, towards the end of the war he was Commander Feldartillerie-Regiments Nr. 277.

> 2. Leutnant d.D. Mummenhoff, from Thüringisches Fußartillerie-Regiment Nr. 18.

So picturewise, I opt for Hauptmann Mummenhoff!

Glad to have made a contribution at last. The photographs are giving up so many of their secrets. It is an honour to be involved. Thanks for the response Eqbert and gcwilson.

ckbeans

Glad to have made a contribution at last. The photographs are giving up so many of their secrets. It is an honour to be involved. Thanks for the response Eqbert and gcwilson.

ckbeans

ckbeans

Latest News:

The Regimental History of FAR 67 indicates the following with respect to Hauptmann Mummenhoff:

“Commander regiment, Major Phillip, deputized the commander FAR 31, Oberstleutnant (LtCol) Fuchs from 2 June until 14 July 1916. In this time, Major Mummenhoff from FAR 31, was leading/commanding our regiment.”

This is the only time where Mummenhoff was mentioned in the Regimental History.

The following was extracted from Regimental History FAR 67 with respect to the sport competition:

“A very well planned and conducted sport competition of 32. Infanteriedivision nicely interrupted the monotony of our military life. Our regiment also participated with great success. Even the Commander regiment, Major Phillip, was victorious in the horseman discipline.”The regiment was stationed in a very quiet sector. In the summertime nothing extraordinary happened. In this time 3rd Batterie FAR 67, was not specially mentioned.

I.Abteilung (=1st Battalion, 3rd Batterie was part of it) was stationed from 12.8.1917 – 22.12.1917 at the river Glina (east Galicia), attached to 241.Infanteriedivision;

From 12.8.1917 – 22.12.1917, II.Abteilung also at river Glina, attached to 237.Infanteriedivision. April 1917, III. Abteilung was newly deployed and fought with 22.Infanteriedivision. The FAR was positioned in area Krewo,Smorgon, Narotsch-See, Tweretsch - 3.10.15 bis 17.9.17

The regiment was deployed 27.12.1917 to the Western Front.

For completeness of Major Mummenhoff subject: The regimental history of FAR 31 mentions that Major Mummenhoff, as Commander of FAR 31, additionally had to liaise to AOK 10 as "Staff Officer Artillery".

Am I imagining or was FAR 31 mentioned way back in the thread. The site is very slow tonight, as last night. Greater enthusiasm and impatience than skill led to 3 identical posts.

Any reference to Jachery?

Thanks Egbert

ckbeans

egbert, thanks for the translation. It is easier to look at the photographs and be able to understand the comments that go with the respective photograph.

Geoff

Thanks for keeping the thread going and the info coming in. I can't believe the detailed information that is available on this forum!

Did you notice the date on the 1st photo on page 23? its April 1917! Some of the photos still to come have 1914 & 1916 dates so maybe the album was assembled after the end of the war? But if this was the case why are they out of chronological order? And why are the Eastern Front & Western Front out of sequence ?

Back to the photo's - there are 8 on Page 23

This is Page 23 Photo 2

a new location

post-4232-0-70207800-1328520757.jpg

Too many questions, but I am surprised how many answers there are.

Geoff

Page 23 Photo 3

post-4232-0-53947500-1328520818.jpg

I will scan some full pages to give an impression of the album layout. It may trigger some thoughts on how the album was put together.

Geoff

Been trying to keep up with this thread.

Havn't posted anything as I have nothing to contribute except my thanks for posting the pictures and my admiration at the awesome amount of information that has been added. Thank you.

Thanks for the encouragement squirrel. I am amazed at the information forthcoming from the members of this Forum. The time spent finding the information that has been posted in this thread alone must run into many hours. I know this, when I compile the copy Albums containing the English Translations, documents, maps etc then the copies will be much thicker than the original.

Page 23 Photo 5

post-4232-0-24679400-1328525679.jpg

Geoff