Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 German Officers Photo Albums

StAubyns

Please keep it going - and I thought we may have reached the end.

ckbeans

No end in sight !

The work has gone to the second stadium now.

Next stage will follow with two support topics: 1 for Western Front materials and 1 for Eastern Front section of 2nd album.

Malte

Likewise,

Well spotted Geoff - and Malte what a wonderful archive. There's still a bit of filling of gaps to do and there's also lokking at the people in the photographs. There are some familiar faces in here (not just from photograph to photograph but externally as well). The Hindenburgesque officer in the centre of P31 P3 has a very familiar face but I just can't place it.

With Henin-Leitard identified I'm wondering if the coal mine shown in A2 P6 P3 is in the same general region in which each town seems to have one or two collieries associated with it.

And a question for our kameraden - what was the German term used for 'military encampment' during the GW (please tell me its not 'lager').

Graham W.

There are quite a few photographs in Album 1 that have no comments. I intend to list these shortly. The one mystery that may open some doors is the lettering on the inside of the cover of Album 2. It has been addressed with no result but I would like to bring it up again.

71128.jpg

I, in my ignorance thought it meant "Russia"

Are there any more thoughts on this?

Geoff

Yes it is, but it was never attached to anyone in the army, and surely the album belonged to an army officer.

Is there anywhere else to look for information? It must be somwhere, it just needs finding.

And I know that that is easier said than done.

Could it be the name of a place? If that is the case, why is it where it is?

I feel this could be important.

Regards

Geoff

And a question for our kameraden - what was the German term used for 'military encampment' during the GW (please tell me its not 'lager').

If the equipment of a singulary soldier is meant, there were different terms used, for example:

"Ausrüstung", "Marschausrüstung", Feldausrüstung", "Sturmgepäck", "Marschgepäck" and presumably Egbert knows some more words for it.

Malte

Malte

If I understand Graham correctly, he does not mean the soldiers personal equipment, he is looking for words to describe a place for a temporary army camp, or overnight stop.

regards

Geoff

There are quite a few photographs in Album 1 that have no comments. I intend to list these shortly. The one mystery that may open some doors is the lettering on the inside of the cover of Album 2. It has been addressed with no result but I would like to bring it up again.

71128.jpg

I, in my ignorance thought it meant "Russia"

Are there any more thoughts on this?

Geoff

Geoff, this is our lucky day,

even though I think that I am getting old and always come too late.

I told once before, that we should keep an eye on Feldartillerie-Regiment No. 67. And why didn't I do it before in an exhausting way ? A few minute ago I had a look into the "Rangliste 1914" for Prussian and Württembergian Armys. In the Personal register I saw (absolutely lonely standing there) the name RÜSSE. You can't imagine how strong my hearth was bumping as I followed the link in the book, which lead me to this page. And what did I find ?????????

rsse1py.jpg

Oberleutnant Rüsse (living that time in Siegen) was a Reserve-Officer of Feldartillerie-Regiment No 67 on 6th of May 1914 and later on ...

This is our lucky day ...

Malte

If I understand Graham correctly, he does not mean the soldiers personal equipment, he is looking for words to describe a place for a temporary army camp, or overnight stop.

regards

Geoff

If this is the case, then "Biwak", "Quartier", "Ortsunterkunft", "Unterkunft" a. s. o.

EGBERT !!!!!!

Hello Geoff and Malte - this just gets better and better.

Found your photographs Malte and you posted Le Bassee on 22 November 2005, almost the same day as Geoff started to post the first album - a fantastic coincidence.

I am sure that more will come of this cooperation

Thanks to all contributors

ckbeans

Malte, egbert

on one of the photographs in the first album Heiwei talks of going home to "Drei Eichen" which egbert translated as a nickname meaning "Three Oaks".

Pushing my luck here - is it possible to know which German town has this nickname?

Geoff

Oblt. Ruesse was also a reserve officer of FAR 67 in mid-1910, from my 1910 Rangliste.

Unfortunately, I have a big gap in my reference books before 1910, but my 1898 Rangliste indicates that the regiment did not exist then (highest # was FAR Nr. 36), nor did he appear in the index. I would guess that he joined the army about 1900 to 1903.

Bob Lembke

If the equipment of a singulary soldier is meant, there were different terms used, for example:

"Ausrüstung", "Marschausrüstung", Feldausrüstung", "Sturmgepäck", "Marschgepäck" and presumably Egbert knows some more words for it.

Malte

Military encampment is= "Feldlager"

Is there anyway of knowing if Oblt. Ruesse was killed in action, and if he was, when?

If my theory of the album is correct, there have been 3 hands at work. Ruesse would have been the original owner, and if/when he was KIA then another person took over the album.

regards and thanks

Geoff

Malte, Egbert et al,

Thanks for the translations - I now have something to work with.

Geoff,

Good idea reposting the unknowns again

Graham W.

Oblt. Ruesse was also a reserve officer of FAR 67 in mid-1910, from my 1910 Rangliste.

Unfortunately, I have a big gap in my reference books before 1910, but my 1898 Rangliste indicates that the regiment did not exist then (highest # was FAR Nr. 36), nor did he appear in the index. I would guess that he joined the army about 1900 to 1903.

Bob Lembke

Hello Bob,

I found Leutnant Rüsse in my RANGLISTE 1903 as Leutnant der Reserve of Feldartillerie-Regiment 67.

regards

Malte

rsse22bq.jpg