Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Cloth Insignia'

Arthur

...and my personal favourites; insignia of the 15th (Yeomanry) Battalion, Suffolk Regiment. My Grandfather served with the 15th which made it all the sweeter to find these two patches in a local dealer's plastic ice cream tub of broken badges, along with a "Y SUFFOLK" brass title, for the princely sum of £10!

post-1565-1254159188.jpg

Hi Arthur,

My pleasure. Yes, of course you can use any info I have. I'm always happy to share information.

Always glad to help where I can.

With best wishes,

Taff

Hello Taff,

Thankyou for your detailed information relating to the Suffolk Regt's Bn and Coy patches, and bringing the information to my attention.

Taff, would you have any objections if I was put your information along side my references for future reference, naturally given you as the source of the information?

From time to time new information comes to light and I try to keep abreast of it, so any new information that is found is always welcome.

For those that I have given information to in the past, or, that I am likely to do so in the future. When I give the detailed information from my references it is to try and help, and not to miss lead you.

Regards

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

My pleasure. Yes, of course you can use any info I have. I'm always happy to share information.

Always glad to help where I can.

With best wishes,

Taff

Thankyou Taff,

Regards

Arthur

Sidney Day, VC of 11th (Service) Battalion, Suffolk Regiment with the yellow strip clearly visible beneath the "SUFFOLK" part of his "CAMBS SUFFOLK" shoulder title. He doesn't have the blue triangle although he clearly does in other photographs.

post-1565-1254160860.jpg

I have had a rummage in my notes for the photos I took of the Suffolk Regiment section of the IWM 1917 survey I mentioned above.

Here are some highlights:

2/Suffolk Original Shoulder Straps W, X, Y, Z Companies

And the yellow rectangle worn on the flap of the 1908 Pattern haversacks (plus the additional black square worn just for the attack on The Bluff in 1916)

post-1565-1254164583.jpg

post-1565-1254164594.jpg

post-1565-1254164603.jpg

post-1565-1254164613.jpg

post-1565-1254164741.jpg

post-1565-1254164749.jpg

Here is the 8/Suffolk Officers sleeve patch (point downwards) and Other Ranks helmet cover with the patches point upwards.

Also the trade badges unique to this battalion: Sniper, Scout and Lewis Gunner

post-1565-1254166956.jpg

post-1565-1254167025.jpg

post-1565-1254167095.jpg

post-1565-1254167105.jpg

post-1565-1254167115.jpg

The original piece of tunic supplied by the 11th (Service) Battalion (the "Cambs Suffolks") showing the unique Battalion shoulder title, the yellow strip and the blue triangle.

I also attach a photograph of Pte Wickens of 11/Suffolk c1917 wearing none of the above, just a 34 Div patch.

post-1565-1254167437.jpg

post-1565-1254167482.jpg

And finally (for now!) the patches worn by the 12th (Service) Battalion. A black diamond with another, slightly smaller, sewn on top (very hard to see on this photograph) with a blue central stripe. These seem to vary in size (the IWM have two pairs, one pair much smaller than the other) and vary in colour a great deal - see the light stripe on the patch of the tunic of Pte Walter Bye, 12/Suffolk, KiA April 1918 (below).

post-1565-1254168008.jpg

post-1565-1254168024.jpg

I have been meaning to do this for ages but never seem to have the time.

I hope some of you find it useful.

Needless to say, if any of you have examples of other original Suffolk Regiment insignia or photographs, I am always interested in seeing them (or buying them of course!).

Cheers,

Taff

A final request from a Forum member for the 2/6th (Cyclist) Battalion title mentioned above. Here is the original one supplied by the Battalion for the 1917 IWM Survey:

post-1565-1254181305.jpg

Taff

That is a truly fantastic collection of Suffolk insignia; might they conceivably have come from a certain museum within the last decade??!!

The photo in the Caves is also superb; Living History at its very best, and quite incredibly difficult to get right, but you seem to have done it.

Regards,

W.

The photo in the Caves is also superb; Living History at its very best, and quite incredibly difficult to get right, but you seem to have done it.

Indeed: but needs some smokers for that proper period feel if you ask me!

Best wishes,

GT.

Hi Wainfleet,

Thanks for your comments. All the pieces from my own collection have been picked up from old soldiers, families and dealers over the past 25 years. Apart from one 11/Suffolk tunic (unfortunately sold through a well known auction house) the Museum I suspect you have in mind had no other Great War insignia that I know of except a pair of 1/5th patches in a frame with the rest of a CSM's bits and bobs. The rest in this thread are from the IWM 1917 Survey which can be viewed at Lambeth Road. It's well worth doing. Alan Jeffries has always been extremely helpful and knowledgable when I have been down to look at specific units.

We always put a great deal of time and effort into creating the correct kit on Chums tours. The Arras 90th Anniversary was a lot of hard work but well worth the effort. There is a ten minute BBC 'Inside Out' film about 2/Suffolk at Arras telling the story of how we discovered the site of Revd Danvers' Easter Sunday Communion Service during a visit to the newly opened Wellington Caves 12 years ago.

The other photograph above is also in Arras. It is on Rue de Temple (go past the new Wellington Caves visitors centre, keeping it on your left). Keep going until you are almost at the end of the road. You have to look very carefully but you will find this house on the right hand side, just before the junction. The sign on the wall still says "Haircutting Salon" and "DCLI" is painted on the other side of the doorway. Can you imagine a house in this country with graffiti, painted next to the front door, still being there after 90 years?! The walls and doorway are covered with carved soldiers names and details from men waiting to have their hair cut. It seemed a shame not to sort out a few of those who needed a trim while we were there.

Grovetown - you will have to blame modern French rules and regulations for the lack of smoking in Wellington I'm afraid!

However, here are a couple of pics from the same tour when we spent the night in the caves at Maison Blanche where no such rules apply! It was fascinating. When you laid out your groundsheet for a kip you spotted that the whole floor was covered with holes about 1" in diameter where thousands of men had planted candles next to their bedspaces. If you ever get into any of these caves take lots of candles - all the original graffiti and carvings come to life when you see them in candlelight because that's how they were seen when they were carved. Powerful torches kill the effect...

Cheers,

Taff

post-1565-1254313878.jpg

It's alright John; they were only old ones!

Good to hear from you. I hope all is well in Notts and Derbys land.

Cheers,

Taff

That's ok then, I did'nt think you would cut up decent tunic's. We are all ok, how are the Chums ? JG

Glad to hear you are OK John.

The Chums are fine. Heading off to Belgium on Friday for our Royal Naval Division Antwerp 1914 Tour.

We can squeeze you aboard if you want to come; it's been a while since you have been on a Chums tour!

Cheers,

Taff

I just came across these while I was looking for something else.

I believe they are a pair of 1/4th or 1/5th Norfolk Regiment patches. Made from a similar cloth as the 1/5th Suffolk badge above, but quite small.

Not sure which way up they were worn.

I have a feeling that 1/5th Norfolk wore red and yellow triangles, divided vertically. If I'm right these should be 1/4th but, as always, I'm happy to be corrected.

It would be nice to know for sure.

post-1565-1254319983.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Arthur,

I wish I had looked properly at your thread before submitting my question to the forum. I understand that you may not have this information available from your response to similar but on the off chance.

I am looking for any information/guidance on the battle insignia for the the MG Company and the Trench Mortar Battery for 90th Brigade, 30th Division.

Thanks in advance for any help.

KRs

Antony