Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Cloth Insignia'

Arthur

Arthur,can you help with the attached insignia - possibly a unit within 39 Division (the blue/white stripes are 39 Div, the 2 red triangles are a puzzle......brigade, RE, MGC?) Peter

Mebu,

I've seen this photograph before, and I'm sorry to say that I have no idea to which unit it belongs.

Regards

Arthur

Jerry

Sorry my man I don't have information on those Bns.

a1st/5th b1st/5th 1st/6th 8th 9th 13th 14th 15th 16th 17th 19th a24th b24th

25th

Regards

Arthur

Thank you Arthur for taking the time to look and to answer, it is much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Hello Arthur.

Would you happen to have anything on either the Middlesex Hussars or the 1st county of London Yeomanry?

Thanks

Robin

Following on from my previous how about the 8th or 11th cavalry brigades?

Thanks for the help so far. You are a legend.

Robin

Sorry Arthur also if possible the 2nd mounted division though I'm not to hopeful on this one as it was an early war formation and I believe it was broken up before the armistice. Still if you don't ask....

Thanks in advance

Good morning Robin,

Sorry my man I cannot find any description or, illustrations for the above Div and Bdes.

Regards

Arthur

Hi Robin

What information did you require about the 8 and 11 Cav Bdes and 2 Cav Div ?.

Regards

Kendo

Sorry Arthur Kendo has it right. The 2nd mounted division. It was an early war formation active from 1914 until 1916 when it disbanded. That is why I am not surprised you have no record of it. With regards to the other brigades I was hoping to find out what their ID patches were (if they had 1) a chap I know is trying to design a new patch and was hoping to combine 2 old precursor units to create something new.

Cheers

Robin

Good morning Robin,

I could be wrong! But, nowhere have I seen any reference to the 2nd Cav Div.

OBAT Pt 2A & 5B

Started off attached to 1st Mtd Div and then went to the 2nd Mtd Div on formation. After leaving the 2nd Mtd Div they were attached to the Yeo Mtd Div [not then numbered 74.] From there they then went back to 1st Mtd Div which was re-designated 4th Cav Div [indian] on 22/07/1918.

As already stated there are no descriptions or, illustrations amongst my references.

Regards

Arthur

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Robbmillett
On ‎8‎-‎4‎-‎2009 at 10:19, Arthur said:

Hello Robert,

I am sorry but I cannot provide you with the I-d Pamphlet. However, I am willing to check out anything that might be of help to you.

Regards

Arthur

Hello Arthur

Sorry for my late reply. I had forgotten all about this question on this website after seven years haha! But I am indeed still very much looking for this information. So if it's not too much trouble, would you be able to tell me the dimensions of the two rectangular patches of the Canadian 85th Battalion (both blue and green please).

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/tunics/ceft05.htm

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards

Robert

Hello Robert 

The 85th. Bn isn't mentioned in my pamphlet. However, the patches were made of felt and measured 2"X3" with the Bde indicated by a disc, semi disc, triangle or square.

Hope it helps.

Regards 

Arthur 

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to post this here originally! 

Here is a bit of an anomaly that generated about 4 hours worth of discussion at work here at the museum (slow day).  There has never been any documentation of cloth shoulder titles for the MMP of MFP.  THe archives hold a large amount of information on the insignia of the MMP, MFP, CMP and RMP and not a single mention of cloth Shoulder Titles pre 1926. 

The only evidence I have found was this postcard (it did generate a fair amount of excitement). Cloth MMP shoulder titles, colour unknown. Note the 1895 sword, I would have placed this image pre 1907, inline with the use of the cloth STs and this variation of sword; however he wears a George V cap badge, very different from the Edward VII, so this image must date from after 1910/11. 

Image courtesy of the RMP museum. 

MMP%20Cloth%20Titles%20watermark.jpg

MMP%20Cloth%20Titles%20Zoom.jpg

Hello Toby,

The arc with MMP on it isn't given in the I-d pamphlet and I'd say that the arc and the letters are on a larger scale to those of the later cloth titles that followed. 

The I-d pamphlet has got the descriptions of the slip on shoulder titles for both the Foot and Mounted units. White serifs and letters "M.F.P" and "M.M.P." Embroidered on khaki felt.

It is a pity that there is only a fraction of information relating to this subject. I have looked in Dress Regulations but, I could not find any information in there relating to the title either.

Sorry to say that I don't think I can help you any further.

Regards

Arthur

Hello Arthur,yesterday I posted a question regarding any patches worn by the 8th DLI before noticing this superb and very informative thread,I wondered if 

you have any information regarding this matter or possibly anything in respect of the 50th Division to which this battalion belonged to.

Regard's Steve

14 hours ago, Arthur said:

Regards

Arthur

Arthur, 

Thank you for taking to time to have a look and to craft a reply!  Most bizarre. If I come across any information, I will, of course,  share it with this thread. 

Regards

Toby 

Hello Steve

The information I have for the 8th Bn. is for a blue diamond, unfortunately I don't have any other details regarding to the shade of blue, the size and material.

Kendo might be able to help you further!

Regards

Arthur

2 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Arthur, 

2 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Thank you for taking to time to have a look and to craft a reply!  Most bizarre. If I come across any information I will share it on this thread. 

Regards

Toby 

Good morning Toby.

Thank you for your reply

It is a pity that there were no notes or, amendments made to the Dress Regulations at the time the titles started to come into use.

I have no idea when the red top on the cap came into use! But, I wonder if it was the same time they used those titles. I know that the title later became a red arc with black lettering however, I don't know enough about photography to try and depict the colours on your photograph but, saying that the letters do not look black!

Regards

Arthur

Morning Arthur, 

The usage of the Red Cap cover surfaces from 1914. It was only worn on duty.   

I have access to 100s of images from the period and none of them show these cloth titles in use at home, abroad or on active service, this is the only one (so far).  It would be great to have an exact date and location to the image!  

You will note that the large MMP style shoulder titles are not worn in this picture, so these titles are being almost certainly worn as a substitute. Both George V and Edward VII badges appear to be commonly worn until 1914. This is the only image I have seen that dates post 1908 (the presence of a GV cap badge) that features an early pattern sword so there might be something in that. 

I shall continue hunting, it gives me an excuse to look at pictures in the archive all day. 

Again thank you for your time. 

Regards 

Toby 

3 hours ago, Arthur said:

Hello Steve

The information I have for the 8th Bn. is for a blue diamond, unfortunately I don't have any other details regarding to the shade of blue, the size and material.

Kendo might be able to help you further!

Regards

Arthur

Many thanks Arthur,it's for a modelling project so exact size not vital.

Front row. L & Centre. B.Q.M.S. Rowan and R.Q.M.S. BLAKE. both wear cloth RGA titles. 

image.png

8 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Front row. L & Centre. B.Q.M.S. Rowan and R.Q.M.S. BLAKE. both wear cloth RGA titles. 

image.png

Good morning

This is the information that I have: White letters with serifs "R.G.A." on  a felt khaki slip on.

Regards

Arthur