Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Cloth Insignia'

Arthur

I know it has been a while since there were any additions to this thread but I am hoping that someone might know the Battle Patch insignia for the Devons...

Cheers,

Taff

Good evening Taff,

Information that I have for the Devonshire Regiment.

2nd. Bn. Devonshire Regiment

[1] Green/dark red/green arc Before 1918 Felt

[2] Red/green/red arc After 1918 Felt

5th. Bn. Devonshire Regiment

Green square with red 5 over PoW feathers and coronet over concave DEVON Embroidered on felt

1st/6th. Bn. Devonshire Regiment

Horizontal rectangle top half green bottom red 4½" X 2" Worn on helmet Felt

10th. Bn. Devonshire Regiment

Blue D 3½" X 3" Felt

16th. Bn Devonshire Regiment

Horizontal rectangle divided vertically: left red/central narrow yellow stripe/blue 2¼" X 2" Ribbon

Hope this help.

Regards

Arthur

• 3 months later...

Thank you Arthur,

That's great!

WIth very best wishes,

Taff

Arthur

I am a latecomer to this thread, thank you for the time and effort you have put into this. I see some information for the battalions of the Royal Munster Fusiliers attached to 10th Division.

May I ask if there is any other data available for any of the battalions of the Munsters please?

Sincerely

John Mulcahy

Arthur

I am a latecomer to this thread, thank you for the time and effort you have put into this. I see some information for the battalions of the Royal Munster Fusiliers attached to 10th Division.

May I ask if there is any other data available for any of the battalions of the Munsters please?

Sincerely

John Mulcahy

Good morning John,

I have the following information:

1st. Bn Dark green Shamrock leaf. Felt. 409

2nd. Bn 1” squares: Yellow for Lewis gunners; Black for Grenadiers; Red for Bombers and Green for Riflemen. Felt. 410

3rd. Bn Light green Shamrock leaf, Felt. 411

5th. Bn Olive green Shamrock leaf, Felt. 412

8th. Bn Dark green triangle. 413

Regards

Arthur

post-210-0-50019100-1321944404.jpg

Hi Arthur

Any possibility of insignia worn by (and if at all possible an idea of periods) :-

6th Black Watch (51st Highland Div)

8th Black Watch (9th Scottish Div)

Further, any info on insignia worn by other units in these divisions ?

Thanks

Hi Arthur

Any possibility of insignia worn by (and if at all possible an idea of periods) :-

6th Black Watch (51st Highland Div)

8th Black Watch (9th Scottish Div)

Further, any info on insignia worn by other units in these divisions ?

Thanks

Hello Lachlan,

6th Black Watch: Dark blue horizontal rectangle 2½X¾ Braid

8th Black Watch: Sorry nothing found. However, Osprey's 'British Battle Insignia (1) 1914-18' Mike Chappell states "There was evidence that the 9th Div wore patches of regimental tartan on their bonnets and sleeves as an early form of battle insignia. By 1916, when steel helmets were issued the 9th adopted a system of company indicator patches worn on the sleeves. These were worn as an arc at the top of the sleeve, red for A Coy, yellow for B, blue for C and green for D. In 1918 numbers representing the seniority of Bns within Bdes 1-3 were painted on steel helmets and a small metal thistle Div sign was worn on each sleeve.

I get back to you with other units of the 9th Scottish Div and 51st Highland Div ASAP

Regards

Arthur

Hello Lachlan,

6th Black Watch: Dark blue horizontal rectangle 2½X¾ Braid

8th Black Watch: Sorry nothing found. However, Osprey's 'British Battle Insignia (1) 1914-18' Mike Chappell states "There was evidence that the 9th Div wore patches of regimental tartan on their bonnets and sleeves as an early form of battle insignia. By 1916, when steel helmets were issued the 9th adopted a system of company indicator patches worn on the sleeves. These were worn as an arc at the top of the sleeve, red for A Coy, yellow for B, blue for C and green for D. In 1918 numbers representing the seniority of Bns within Bdes 1-3 were painted on steel helmets and a small metal thistle Div sign was worn on each sleeve.

I get back to you with other units of the 9th Scottish Div and 51st Highland Div ASAP

Regards

Arthur

Hello Lachlan,

I am sorry to say that there has been no further information added to either of the files regarding the 9th Scottish Div and 51st Highland Div since I last posted the previous information to you.

Regards

Arthur

Thanks Arthur for your help. It has really helped me.

• 4 months later...

Hi Arthur,

Do you have any details on the Border Regiment?

Best wishes,

Taff

Hello Taff,

The information that I have is shown as:

[a]1st Bn Red horizontal rectangle ½"X3" [Other Ranks] Felt

1st Bn Red vertical rectangle ½"X3" [Other ranks] Felt

1st/4th Bn Green/yellow/green vertical rectangle worn on helmet Felt

2nd/4th White BORDER on green horizontal rectangle worn on helmet Embroidered on Felt

5th Bn Yellow horizontal diamond 4"X3" Cotton

6th Bn Green horizontal rectangle with two narrow horizontal white stripes worn on back Cotton

7th Bn Yellow disc 2" diameter Felt

[a]8th Bn Green Rectangle 2½X½ Felt Worn on collar

8TH Bn Green/narrow yellow/purple/narrow yellow/green rectangle, worn on the shoulder. Ribbon

9th Bn Black Rectangle 2½X½ Felt Worn on shoulder strap

11th Bn Red disc 2½" diameter Cotton Coy bars worn underneath:

HQ Coy Black,

A Coy Red

B Coy Green

C Coy Yellow

D Coy Light blue

Hope this help.

Regards

Arthur

Hi Arthur

Seems I missed this thread somehow......I have spent some time going through it -- what a treasure trove! Many thanks.

Could you check records for the 1/4th Gordons (154th Bde 51st HD)

I think 3 blue stripes on shoulder but I am unsure of specific dates(perhaps from Mid/Late 1916 on) I am also unsure if any other formation signs were worn.

Any information would be great.

Thanks again,

Chris

Hi Arthur

Seems I missed this thread somehow......I have spent some time going through it -- what a treasure trove! Many thanks.

Could you check records for the 1/4th Gordons (154th Bde 51st HD)

I think 3 blue stripes on shoulder but I am unsure of specific dates(perhaps from Mid/Late 1916 on) I am also unsure if any other formation signs were worn.

Any information would be great.

Thanks again,

Chris

Good morning Chris,

I have one reference for 1st/4th Gordons and that verify what you already know. However, I don't have the details of the size, where it was worn, or from which period.

My source gives it as: 3 vertical light blue bars on a khaki rectangle silk on felt.

Regards

Arthur

Good morning Chris,

I have one reference for 1st/4th Gordons and that verify what you already know. However, I don't have the details of the size, where it was worn, or from which period.

My source gives it as: 3 vertical light blue bars on a khaki rectangle silk on felt.

Regards

Arthur

Thanks very much!

Chris

• 8 months later...

Hello Arthur,

Am fairly new to this forum and am beyond pleasantly surprised to come across your thread - trully an impressive resource notto mention your generosity.

Was wondering if you could help ID the flash on this pith helmet. I think itto be the 39th battalion, (desert) service column ( DSC) ofthe 13th(Western) Division. Do you have anythingthat can confirm this or if it isnt this, can you ID it?

Attached is a close up picture, its a white over blue diamond with 39 embroidered in blue on the white upper half, and DSC embroidered in white on the lower half.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/Westernhighlander/image-13_zpsf6f224c7.jpg

Thanks for any light you can shed,

Mike

Hello Mike,

I don't actually have any information on your particular helmet flash. However, I could be wrong, but I would say that it was worn by the 39th Divisional Signal Coy.

Regards

Arthur

• 5 months later...

Could anyone give information as to the the cloth insignia of the 10th Buffs

Hi,

The information that I have is as follows:

2nd Bn Manchester Regt: Diamond, vertically elongated, red with horizontal company bar underneath it, [The bars were: green, black, blue, red and yellow. However, there was no indication given of which coy wore them!] Cotton.

3rd Bn. Sorry, I have no information.

There are no dates given for the period when they were worn, or of the sizes of them.

Hope that this is of help.

Regards

Arthur.

Could anyone give information as to the the cloth insignia of the 10th Buffs

Hi,

The information I have is as follows:

10th East Kent Regt: Horizontal rectangle, green with narrow horizontal red strips on the edges and a narrower central strip. Worn on helmet, Ribbon

Sorry to say that there were no dates of the period worn, or of the size of it.

Hope that this is of help.

Regards

Arthur.

it does help thanks

• 4 months later...