Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Cloth Insignia'

Arthur

Hi Arthur and Steve,

The 50 Division were notable for their large cloth patches particularly in the 151 Bde in which 8 DLI served. The bn wore a blue cloth diamond (diamonds being the brigade shape) worn on both upper sleeves of the SD jacket. The diamonds could be as large as 4" high and 3" wide.

Hope this helps.

Kendo

On 10 July 2016 at 08:39, Arthur said:

Good morning

This is the information that I have: White letters with serifs "R.G.A." on  a felt khaki slip on.

Regards

Arthur

Thank you Arthur. 

On 11/07/2016 at 15:18, KENDO said:

Hi Arthur and Steve,

The 50 Division were notable for their large cloth patches particularly in the 151 Bde in which 8 DLI served. The bn wore a blue cloth diamond (diamonds being the brigade shape) worn on both upper sleeves of the SD jacket. The diamonds could be as large as 4" high and 3" wide.

Hope this helps.

Kendo

Many thank's Kendo especially about the patches being worn on both sleeves.

Hello Arthur,

I hope that you can identify this unit for me.  At first I thought that it represents a fir tree, but now I wonder if it is a peacock.

Regards,

JMB

WWI Brodie-2 (480x480).jpg

7 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Hello Arthur,

I hope that you can identify this unit for me.  At first I thought that it represents a fir tree, but now I wonder if it is a peacock.

Regards,

JMB

Surely it's Royal Fusiliers.

1 hour ago, trenchtrotter said:

Surely it's Royal Fusiliers.

That's what I thought - 'flaming bomb' and 9th RF.

Cheers,

GT.

13 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Hello Arthur,

Regards,

JMB

That's a well travelled tin hat, it was in my collection for a while many years back!

Regards

Tocemma

Gentlemen,

You would think that I'd recognize my own avatar!

I don't have the helmet, just lifted the photo; thanks for the ID.

Regards,

JMB

Hi JMB

Yes it is the 9 RF which served in 12 (Eastern) Division.

Regards

Kendo

Arthur,

This is an absolutely priceless thread !!

Now that the flattery is done with, could you have a look for the 2nd Bn Royal Sussex Regiment ?

It would help me to picture my g'father in uniform.

2 RSR was in 2nd Bde of 1st Div; would he also be wearing those patches ? and what are they, if yes ?

Regards,

JMB

Hi 

Sorry, I have nothing on the 2nd Bn. Pamphlet only give information on the 1/5, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 16th Bns.

There is nothing for the 2nd Bde. As for the 1st Div. I believe that it was only used on vehicles! The sign was a blue triangular maritime signal flag which represented the word "One". The flag had a white edge with a white spot and the flagstaff was painted black.

Sorry to say I cannot be of more help.

Regards 

Arthur 

King Arthur,

Thank you for taking the time to look up my request, and it is STILL a truly priceless thread !

Best regards,

JMB

Hi 

Further to my last post. Mike Chappel's Osprey book British Battle Insignia (1) 1914-18 states that the the division was supposed to have had a strange scheme of patches to show the unit by its size, the brigade seniority by shape, and the employment of the wearer by colour.

He also show the divisional sign on a grey square with a white triangular flag with a red dot in the centre! This shape was originally the international code signal for the letter 'C' and the answering pennant 'Yes'. However, at a later date (my earliest reference for the change was 1940. So sometime between 1930 and 1940 the changes occurred.)  The code for letter 'C' changed to a horizontal rectangular flag with five equal bars blue, white, red, white and blue. The number one pennant became a longer white triangular pennant with a red central dot, but the pointed end of the pennant had been removed. Information taken from All about Ships and Shipping 1930 and 1952 editions.

It might be worth asking Kendo if he can assist you further.

Regards

Arthur 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I would appreciate anything on the 7th Bedford's (18th Div) if they are included.

Many thanks

Hi 

Other ranks wore a green felt arc 3"X1"

Officiers wore a green felt inverted triangle 1 1/2" top X  2 1/2" sides.

Regards

Arthur 

On 18 July 2016 at 17:07, JMB1943 said:

2 RSR was in 2nd Bde of 1st Div; would he also be wearing those patches ? and what are they, if yes ?

Regards,

JMB

Hi,

Re: 2nd Bn. Royal Sussex Regt.  They wore a diamond diverted diagonally blue,orange, blue. Size, material are unknown.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur,

Many Thanks for following up !

Diamond "diverted" = inverted ? Although an inverted diamond would be very similar to an upright  one.

I should have guessed blue/orange, because they were the regtl colors.

Regards,

JMB

26 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Arthur,

Many Thanks for following up !

Diamond "diverted" = inverted ? Although an inverted diamond would be very similar to an upright  one.

I should have guessed blue/orange, because they were the regtl colors.

Regards,

JMB

Hi JMB

Diverted! Should have read: Divided diagonally. I must have been having a senior moment.

Regards

Arthur

Hi Arthur and JMB,

Infantry battalions of the 1 Division did indeed wear a strange system of markings. There wore squares, diamonds, oblongs and triangles of different dimensions and were coloured as per the wearers employment in the battalion as follows:-

Yellow - lewis gunners

Red - bombers

Green - riflemen

Black rifle-grenadiers

Hope this helps

Kendo

Hello Kendo,

Thanks for the information on the system of shapes and colours used by the various companies of the 1st. Inf Div. 

Have read that the Signals used the same pennant as the Div sign. The Ordnance Corps  also used  the same pennant with a blue field and red spot.

Regards

Arthur

On August 11, 2016 at 02:57, Arthur said:

Hi 

Other ranks wore a green felt arc 3"X1"

Officiers wore a green felt inverted triangle 1 1/2" top X  2 1/2" sides.

Regards

Arthur 

Many thanks indeed, very useful.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Hello Arthur

Apologies if this covered elsewhere but I'm looking for information on the patches worn by officers and OR's in 1/5 Duke of Wellington (147 Bde, 49 Div) in 1918. Many thanks!