Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Cloth Insignia'

Arthur

thanks Arthur, I take it that they were worn on the upper arm, but was it both arms ?

Mick

Hi Mick,

I have two references to both of these battalion signs, sadly, neither reference state where the sign was worn. As there is no definate mention of the sign being worn on the back, collar or epaulette etc I would presume that they were worn on the upper arm. Yet again, most of the insignia that I have seen being worn on the arm, was worn on both of them, although this is not to say that it was always the case.

However, other members might know different and maybe able to help you further! If not, I should try the 'DLI Regimental Museum' and ask if they have anything in their archives that could assist you.

Sorry I cannot be of further help.

Regards

Arthur

• 2 weeks later...

If you are still answering could you have a look for the 13th London Bn (The Kensington's) please.

Thanks in advance.

If you are still answering could you have a look for the 13th London Bn (The Kensington's) please.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

13th Bn red diamond 3" X 2", silk.

2nd/13th Bn Silver & grey rose, wire on felt:

Regards

Arthur

post-210-1217144280.jpg

Hi Mark,

The 1st Bn Royal Guernsey Light Infantry wore a felt dark green and white horizontal rectangle 3ins X ¾ins. It is not stated where the sign was worn.

Sorry to report that there is nothing in the pamphlet regarding the 29th Machine Gun Company.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur,

Many thanks - Thanks for the official sizes, I believe the Green and white sign was worn on the rear of the collar. thanks. Mark.

I have the following information regarding 'Cloth Formation Insignia':

Major John Waring's Identification Pamphlet for WWI. It is a Military

Heraldry Society publication which has now been long out of print.

Details of British, Australian and Canadian insignia are given. They are

shown, with a reference to the colour, size and material that they are made from.

If this would assist anyone? I would be willing to search it for any

queries they may have.

Arthur

Hi Arther

The following flashes were worn by was Ptes EC & FJ Rapson of 101 (Buckinghamshire & Berkshire Yeomanry) Battalion MGC which came into existance April 1918 in Palestine and was serving in France & Flanders by August 1918. Can you assist with identification

Regards

Andrew

post-7967-1217864772.jpg

Hi Arther

The following flashes were worn by was Ptes EC & FJ Rapson of 101 (Buckinghamshire & Berkshire Yeomanry) Battalion MGC which came into existance April 1918 in Palestine and was serving in France & Flanders by August 1918. Can you assist with identification

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to say at the moment I can find no information on these flashes.

Regards

Arthur

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Arthur- what a brilliant thread! I can't resist asking for the following on the off-chance you have any info on insignia worn by: (all of them family related in different ways)

1/8th Bn, the Middlesex Regiment

167th (1st London) Brigade

B Battery RHA (41 div artillery?)

1/7th (Robin Hood) Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby)

Can fully understand if you no longer have the steam to answer all of these queries!

Best wishes to all in any case, for a fantastic, positive, forum!

Jeremy

Hello Arthur- what a brilliant thread! I can't resist asking for the following on the off-chance you have any info on insignia worn by: (all of them family related in different ways)

1/8th Bn, the Middlesex Regiment

167th (1st London) Brigade

1/7th (Robin Hood) Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby)

Can fully understand if you no longer have the steam to answer all of these queries!

Best wishes to all in any case, for a fantastic, positive, forum!

Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

I have the following information:

1st/8th Bn, The Middlesex Regiment

[a] Officers: White square 1½" sides, cotton.

Yellow inverted triangle 2" side cotton.

Sorry no time period for either item.

167th (1st London) Brigade.

Sorry nothing found.

Sorry nothing found.

1st/7th (Robin Hood) Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby)

Dark green Maltese Cross, worn on the back, felt.

Sorry no time period for this item.

Regards

Arthur

• 2 months later...

Arthur,

I'd be grateful if you could look up the King's Royal Rifle Corps, particularly 12/KRRC and 16/KRRC (Church Lads Brigade).

This is a truly fantastic service you're offering!

Cheers,

Mark

Arthur,

I'd be grateful if you could look up the King's Royal Rifle Corps, particularly 12/KRRC and 16/KRRC (Church Lads Brigade).

This is a truly fantastic service you're offering!

Cheers,

Mark

Arthur,

Some further detail on these two KRRC battalions to save you some legwork:

12/KRRC - 60th Brigade - 20th (Light) Division

16/KRRC - 100th Brigade - 33rd Division

That may help a bit.

Cheers,

Mark

Arthur,

Some further detail on these two KRRC battalions to save you some legwork:

12/KRRC - 60th Brigade - 20th (Light) Division

16/KRRC - 100th Brigade - 33rd Division

That may help a bit.

Cheers,

Mark

Hello Mark

12th Bn K.R.R.C.: Black triangle with three horizontal black bars. Felt.

60th Bde: Black triangle. Felt.

Sorry nothing on the 16th Bn or 100th Bde.

Regards

Arthur

Hello Mark

12th Bn K.R.R.C.: Black triangle with three horizontal black bars. Felt.

60th Bde: Black triangle. Felt.

Sorry nothing on the 16th Bn or 100th Bde.

Regards

Arthur

Many thanks Arthur

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi Arthur,

I have been pointed in your direction by Jay Dubya. I'm trying to find information on my Grandad, who was in the Queens Royal West Surrey Rgt possibly at some point in the 3rd Btn. I have gained some information from an Uncle that my Grandads cap had a black diamond on the back with a short length of ribbon (Glengarry??). I wonder if you would have any information as to if these would match up to a battalion in the Queens.

Many Thanks

Kev

Hello Arthur,

Attached an image of an Officers tunic, 12th KRRC. Sorry for the poor quality image I will try and post a better one later.

Regards

Tocemma

post-7141-1229512807.jpg

Hi Arthur,

I have been pointed in your direction by Jay Dubya. I'm trying to find information on my Grandad, who was in the Queens Royal West Surrey Rgt possibly at some point in the 3rd Btn. I have gained some information from an Uncle that my Grandads cap had a black diamond on the back with a short length of ribbon (Glengarry??). I wonder if you would have any information as to if these would match up to a battalion in the Queens.

Many Thanks

Kev,

Sorry to say that I only have information on the following Battlions

2nd

2nd/4th

a3rd/4th

b3rd/4th

1st/5th

a7th

b7th

c7th

d7th

a8th

b8th

c8th

Hi Arthur,

Many Thanks

Kev,

Kevin,

Sorry to say that I only have information on the following Battlions

2nd

2nd/4th

a3rd/4th

b3rd/4th

1st/5th

a7th

b7th

c7th

d7th

a8th

b8th

c8th

Regards

Arthur

Hello Arthur,

Attached an image of an Officers tunic, 12th KRRC. Sorry for the poor quality image I will try and post a better one later.

Regards

Tocemma

post-7141-1229512807.jpg

Hi Tocemma,

Thankyou for the information on 12th KRRC . If you don't mind I will add it to my references.

Regards

Arthur

Amazing work you've done in this thread, Arthur, typing out all this information for everyone!

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of requests, if I may. Does your source have any information on cloth insignia for the Worcestershire Regiment, preferably the 10th Service Battalion in Kitchener's army?

Amazing work you've done in this thread, Arthur, typing out all this information for everyone!

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of requests, if I may. Does your source have any information on cloth insignia for the Worcestershire Regiment, preferably the 10th Service Battalion in Kitchener's army?

Good day Matt,

Sorry my man, the only Bns I have recorded at the moment for the Worcestershire Regt are:

1st

a3rd

b3rd

4th

1st/4th

2nd/7th

a1st/8th

b1st/8th

2nd/8th

a9th

b9th

c9th

14th

Should I come across any information on the the 10th Bn, then I will inform you.

All the best

Arthur

Drat! Thanks for the info anyway!

Hi Arthur----incredible work you're doing on this popular thread.!!!!!!!

I have a cloth ( embroidered) patch 2" X2" of the 20th divisional sign in excellent condition. Black cross on white background with a central red circle--all in a black field.

My questions are. Were these worn by all divisional troops? (surely the "troops" knew which division they were in). Was it worn by officers? on sleeve?, tunic? arm-band? Or perhaps only by a CORP's staff member to differentiate divisional staff? I'll post a photo if it helps identifying.

Do you know how I can find out the "meaning/ symbolism" of the insignia?

Hope you can help-Many many " thanks" DAVE. B.

Hi Arthur----incredible work you're doing on this popular thread.!!!!!!!

I have a cloth ( embroidered) patch 2" X2" of the 20th divisional sign in excellent condition. Black cross on white background with a central red circle--all in a black field.

My questions are. Were these worn by all divisional troops? (surely the "troops" knew which division they were in). Was it worn by officers? on sleeve?, tunic? arm-band? Or perhaps only by a CORP's staff member to differentiate divisional staff? I'll post a photo if it helps identifying.

Do you know how I can find out the "meaning/ symbolism" of the insignia?

Hope you can help-Many many " thanks" DAVE. B.

Hello Dave,

Apologises for the late reply.

I do not actually think that I am going to be of much help to you here my man, as I have no photographic evidence of where the sign was worn.

It does not appear to be in the I-d pamphlet that I have, although some references of it have been made of it in the 'Formation Sign' the quarterly journal of the 'Military Heraldry Society'. I will in time get around to checking them, but until then I have three other references that almost quote the same information.

The 20th [Light] Infantry Division:

[1] Mike Chappell's 'British battle Insignia (1)': In a Division where half the infantry were Rifle Bns it was appropriate that the scheme of battle patches should be all black. [The other half of the Div, I believe were Lt. Inf,.]

[2] John Player's Cigarette Cards 'Army. Corps & Divisional Signs 1914-18': As far as can be ascertained no particular history seems to be attached to the origin of this sign. One of the Divisions of 'K1' the original idea was to have formed the three Bdes [59th, 60th & 61st] entirely of Rifle Regts, hence the name Light Division, but the scheme had to be modified.

[3] V. Wheeler- Holohan's 'Divisonal & Other Signs': This is quite a simple sign and have no particular history. It was a white circular disc, bearing a red cross which was charged in the centre with a black bull's eye.

Do you know how I can find out the "meaning/ symbolism" of the insignia? My definition of the sign would be that the disc and bull's eye were part of a target, and the cross represent the sights of a rifle. But then again that is my theory! Other's may know different.

Sorry I cannot be of more help at the moment.

Regards

Arthur