Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Cloth Insignia'

Arthur

Hi, do you have anything for the Leicestershire Regiment? Mostly interested in the sizes of insignia worn by the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Battalions, who were in the 110th (Leicester) Brigade.

Many thanks, Rob

I have a Mark 1 Brodie with a black rectangle painted over a green rectangle, and a Notts & Derby Badge to the front -= I guess that's the 16th Battalion then! How about Loyal North Lancs? In anticipation - thanks!

Peter

Hi Ian,

Since 1945 the flash was used by G.H.Q. Far East Land Forces.

Regards

Arthur

Many thanks Arthur, it now identifies it as belonging to my late father in law who served with GHQ Far east circa 1947.

regards

Ian

Hi, do you have anything for the Leicestershire Regiment? Mostly interested in the sizes of insignia worn by the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Battalions, who were in the 110th (Leicester) Brigade.

Many thanks, Rob

Hi Rob,

a6 Bn Officer’s, Yellow disc 2” Silk

b6 Bn O/Ranks, Yellow disc and bar, Silk/Cotton. Size unknown.

c6 Bn Yellow diamond 1 ½” sides Silk.

7 Bn Yellow rectangle 1”x1 ½” worn on sleeve and back, Silk.

8 Bn Yellow square 1 ¼” sides, Silk.

9 Bn Yellow triangle 2” base 2 ½” sides worn on sleeve and back, Cotton.

Regards Arthur

Arthur,

Does it just cover regimental insignia or does it also cover brigade and divisional troops. That is Trench mortar, engineers and artillery etc. I am not sure these would have had there own versions.

I would be interested in 21st division units if they do and can supply a list, however it would be extensive to say the least!

regards

Arm

I have a Mark 1 Brodie with a black rectangle painted over a green rectangle, and a Notts & Derby Badge to the front -= I guess that's the 16th Battalion then! How about Loyal North Lancs? In anticipation - thanks!

Peter

Hi Peter,

The Loyal N. Lancs Regt.

1st Bn Squares 1 ¼” sides. Grenadiers black, Rifleman green, Lewis Gunners yellow Bombers red, Felt.

1st/4th Bn Red square 3” sides, worn on collar, Felt

2nd/4th Bn 3”X2” Scarlet diamond, Coy bars below A red, B green, C yellow & D blue, Felt

1st/5th Bn Black square 3” sides, Felt

2nd/5th Bn Red 2" triangle, Coy bars below A red, B green, C yellow & D blue, Felt

4th/5th Bn Red 2" disc, Coy bars below A red, B green, C yellow & D blue, Felt.

6th Bn Red rectangle 3”X1” Helmet flash, Cotton

a7th Bn Red rectangle with yellow border, Cotton

b7th Bn Red diamond with yellow border, Cotton

9th Bn Navy blue square 1 ½ ”, Felt

10th Bn Red 1” triangle, Coy bars above A red, B blue, C violet & D dark green, Cotton

Regards

Arthur

Arthur,

Does it just cover regimental insignia or does it also cover brigade and divisional troops. That is Trench mortar, engineers and artillery etc. I am not sure these would have had there own versions.

I would be interested in 21st division units if they do and can supply a list, however it would be extensive to say the least!

regards

Arm

Hi Arm,

The reference I use is a Military Heraldry Socitey Identification Pamphlet No. 2 'British Miscellaneous Cloth Formation Signs and Titles' by Maj. J. Waring.

It mainly deals with the infantry, however, it do cover some trench mortar btys and machine gun coys, although it have very little information regarding the cavalry/yeomanry, artillery, engineers and other supporting corps.

As you will be aware from other information that I have passed on, some of the items may give a period when worn, and it is also likewise with the sizes of the insignia.

Regards

Arthur

Thanks very much, Arthur; this thread is keeping you busy!

Best wishes

Peter

Arther

Any info on the 13th 9th & 7th Royal Sussex Regiment would be great

Roger

Hi Roger,

7th Bn Sorry, I have no information!

9th Bn Yellow rectangle 3"X1", Felt

13th Bn Dark blue rectangle with three verical orange stipes, Felt on felt.

Regards

Arthur

Hi Roger,

7th Bn Sorry, I have no information!

9th Bn Yellow rectangle 3"X1", Felt

13th Bn Dark blue rectangle with three verical orange stipes, Felt on felt.

Regards

Arthur

Hi

orange stipes! Should read orange stripes.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur,

A public BIG thank you for supplying me all the information, same day, via Pm. Must have taken ages to do and deserves a cyber pat on the back.

regards

Arm

Arthur, Thank you for all your help with reference to the Sherwood Foresters and Cambridgeshires.

Regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Arthur, please information. 2nd Bn. Middlesex Rgt., 23rd Inf. Bde., 8th Inf. Div. This insignias is described in Osprey publication - British Battle Insignia vol.1, but is not described material from whom is made of.

Hi Arthur, please information. 2nd Bn. Middlesex Rgt., 23rd Inf. Bde., 8th Inf. Div. This insignias is described in Osprey publication - British Battle Insignia vol.1, but is not described material from whom is made of.

Hi,

The formation sign was a yellow arc worn in 1917. It was 3" X 1" and made of felt.

Regards

Arthur

Many thanks. This is battalion, brigade or division sign? Where on arm is wore? Thanks for Your answer.

Hi,

The information given was for 2nd Middlesex Regt. It is not stated where the formation sign was worn.

23rd Inf Bde had a green arc, felt. No other details given.

8th Inf Div's formation sign was a red square on a white square. I know of no cloth sign for this division, but then again somebody might know different.

Regards

Arthur

Hi,

8th Inf Div's formation sign was a red square on a white square. I know of no cloth sign for this division, but then again somebody might know different.

Regards

Arthur

Hi,

Here a 8th Div painted Brodie

30u4g7p.jpg

But never see a cloth insignia

REgards

David

Arthur,

Anything for the King's Own (Royal Lancaster) please ?

Arthur,

Arthur,

Hi,

I have the following information.

1st. Bn

[a] 2"X1" red rectangle. Cotton

Rectangle yellow left and blue no size given. Ribbon

[c] Maroon silhouette of Ram's head. Felt [Note: They were attatched to the 4th Inf Div which had the ram's head as their sign.]

2nd. Bn Rectangle blue left and yellow no size given. Ribbon

1st/14th Bn red rectangle 1½"X3". Felt

1st/5th Bn black rectangle 3"x1". Felt

2nd/5th Bn red square 2" sides. Felt

11th Bn Blue disc on a red diamond no size given. felt on felt

Regards

Arthur

Many thanks Arthur

Wonder what happend with the 7th Roger

Hi Roger,

I have not come across anything for the 7th Bn. at the moment. Should I find anything at a later date I will let you know.

Regards

Arthur

Hi,

I have the following information.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur, many thanks.

Bob

Can any of you tell me what battle patches, if any, were worn by 1/18th Londons (London Irish Rifles) at Loos in September, 1915?

Cheers,

Taff