Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

This plaque is in a small area of the Church known as the Veley Chapel, where there are other plaques to other members of her family.

In the churchyard there is a gravestone with Juliana listed but it had some ivy on it when I was shown it. I am returning on Thursday when it may have been cleared. 

Apparently the churchyard was closed before her death but it is possible a family grave was re-opened for her burial. I will also check the Church Burial Register on Thursday.

I will e-mail copies after Thursday.

Edited by CGM
spelling

19 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Had a look on the web. Atherton is a big cemetery so might not be easy to find the grave. I can't find a plot number from billion graves and the photo isn't clear as to where it is. I will give it 30 minutes there and then on to wigan 

Wayne, I have just had a look at Billion Grave website and if you scroll down to the bottom you will see a GoogleEarth photo with a pin as to exactly where the grave is in conjunction to the Cenotaph, Leigh Road and it's junction with Hamilton Road. That junction is shown on a map here (https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Docs/PDF/Resident/Births-Marriage-Deaths/Cemeteries/Atherton.pdf) and the grave is in section NEW of the cemetery in the smaller triangular section. There is a BillionGrave app that you can download but that choice is yours as you might download stuff that you don't want !!  Jim

23 hours ago, RobertBr said:

Bob, I have visited the grave and know exactly where it is. I have made enquiries as to why she does not have a headstone and I have been told that her father refused one from the CWGC and didn't install one himself although the CWGC has it on file that a private memorial was to be placed. As she was married I would have thought that it would have been her husband's decision. I don't think that her father played much involvement in Lucy's life. But she had family and I suppose it could be said that if they never pressed for a grave marker then why should strangers to her do so now.

Jim good news about Christine Steward - the council dig* some research and will forward the info they have plus I think her grave was covered in ivy so they will be visiting the cemetery then will let me know when I can go to take photos. 

*did

Edited by Alisonmallen62

23 hours ago, tootrock said:

Jim,

I see you have Hastings on your list of requirements. I live nearby and could visit.

Martin

Martin, Thank you for the offer. From Hastings I need :-

HASTINGS, The Ridge, Hastings Cemetery - a photograph of the headstone of Minnie Dorothy MILLER, VAD, who died 26th October 1918, aged 23. She is in plot R.13. Her grave was adopted in October 1918 by the CWGC under the new rules that they use for VADs. If it was originally unmarked a CWGC headstone may not yet already have been installed. But I am guessing that the family will have provided one as her father was quite prominent in the town. I have a note that she may have been buried as Dorothy Minnie Miller.     Jim

We are setting off now and on my final check I see you have Margaret ashurst in lower ince cemetery plot a 329. There are 3 plot a's on wigan. C of E Roman catholic and non conformist. Leave a message here if you know which 1 and I'll check when I arrive. If you dont know I'll leave her to last and if time allows check all 3 

We've had a nightmare in wigan. Turns out we ere in wrong cemetery we searched ince cemetery not lower ince. Will have to try another time

Screenshot_20190831-130522_Maps.jpg

On 31/08/2019 at 09:41, bostonwayne said:

We are setting off now and on my final check I see you have Margaret ashurst in lower ince cemetery plot a 329. There are 3 plot a's on wigan. C of E Roman catholic and non conformist. Leave a message here if you know which 1 and I'll check when I arrive. If you dont know I'll leave her to last and if time allows check all 3 

On searching I found one of the best unofficial cemetery websites yet :- http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/cemetery.php?opt=cemetery  Drilling down she is in the Church of England plot. This shows that it is a common grave with two other occupiers - Aaron Livesey below her and Elizabeth Moss above her. It is a bit of a shame that your efforts landed you in the wrong cemetery. As for the match, a 0 - 0 scoreline must have been a bit of a disappointment, too.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

53 minutes ago, bostonwayne said:

There are plenty more trips to Lancashire this season. We are going to Mansfield this saturday so could do cuckney on the way. 

I have found three other incumbents in Lower Ince Cemetery if you ever get back there. As for Cuckney, there is a Roll of Honour in St. Marys Church, Norton Cuckney, Nottinghamshire that includes the names of two VAD nurses who survived the war but are remembered anyway. Their names are Elsie Kirk and Mrs Lane. A photograph of the memorial; required.

We are playing preston on the 5th october. If no one does it before that I can do wigan then. As for cuckney will do it this saturday. Then we play forest on the 21st Sept so will do newark and Nottingham then

edit: Have asked Findagrave.com

TERLINCTHUN

Any way to get photo. of this man's headstone, please?

CWGC

WILLIAMS, WILLIAM JOHN  Private Deal/9290(S) Royal Marine Labour Corps
Date of Death:30/06/1918 Age:40

Grave Reference I. C. 39.
Cemetery  TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY, WIMILLE   

Kath.

Edited by Kath

1 hour ago, bostonwayne said:

We are almost certainly going to lincoln this saturday. What are your requirements for belton blyton and lincoln and I'll see what I can do 

BELTON  -  Lady Adelaide Brownlow of the British Red Cross Society lived locally and died on the 16th March 1917. She is buried in St. Peter and St. Paul churchyard. In view of her standing she may have a memorial in the church although I have no knowledge of that. In fact, the web site shown makes to mention of a memorial in there to her.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Church_monuments_in_St_Peter_%26_St_Paul,_Belton

As to her grave, she has an entry on Find A Grave which is copyright but the photograph there may help you find it.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/73460709/adelaide-brownlow

BLYTON  -  Dorothy Lucy Howell, nurse, died in 1918. Her name is on a scroll inside the local church (need a photograph). I am guessing that this will be St. Martins church in Church Lane, Blyton (DN21 3JZ). Her name is also on the Blyton War Memorial (the back). I already have a photograph of that so it is not vital but can always use another if you are passing.

LINCOLN  -  Beatrice Mary Hodgson, VAD, died 29th December 1919 and is buried in St. Peter (Eastgate) churchyard, Lincoln. I also have a note that there is a remembrance tablet in a Lincoln church and it would make sense for this to be St. Peters, too.

18 hours ago, JimE said:

I might manage Witley, Surrey next week if you can let me know the details

Jim

Thank you for the offer, Jim.

In All Saints churchyard, Witley, is the grave of Mary Rosina Gannaway, VAD, who died 28th May 1920. She was aged 44. I need a photograph of her headstone.

Hi Jim,

I notice in your most recent list (post ~2228) you still have CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey, I did this for you a while back, do you have another requirement there?

23 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Jim,

I notice in your most recent list (post ~2228) you still have CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey, I did this for you a while back, do you have another requirement there?

Poor book-keeping on my part. Now amended. Sorry.

Did ok in blyton. However lincoln was no good. Couldn't get in the church and there are no headstones from that time left. Only a small area left where burials were so not sure if this is where she was buried.

20190914_105839.jpg

So this saturday we are playing Nottingham. We are going down a1 and into Nottingham that way. So the choices are 2 of Newark Belton or Nottingham. I know who you need in Newark and Belton who do you need in Nottingham

13 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

So this saturday we are playing Nottingham. We are going down a1 and into Nottingham that way. So the choices are 2 of Newark Belton or Nottingham. I know who you need in Newark and Belton who do you need in Nottingham

Hello Wayne, Below I list my Nottingham requirements BUT I do not have the plot numbers. Nottingham General Cemetery is huge. I tried to check out through Nottingham City Council  the information we need but they have delegated their record availability to Deceased Online. Deceased Online charge for each search for detail although free just to confirm that the person is buried there. So I think best to leave it. Jim

NOTTINGHAM  -  Church (Rock) Cemetery. The grave of Annie Benson, munition worker, who died 1st July 1918, aged 64, is buried here.

-  Nottingham General Cemetery. The grave of Gladys May Buckley, munition worker, died in 1917, aged 19.

-  Nottingham General Cemetery. The grave of Florence Kate Carter, munition worker, died in 1917, aged 20.

-  Nottingham General Cemetery. The grave of Clara Jane King, V.A.D., died 1920, aged 59.

-  Nottingham General Cemetery. The grave of Constance Louisa Sylvester, munition worker, died 1916, aged 24.

Jim, do you have this lady on your list. Not sure what she died of though. John

FITZGERALD MARJORIE L.P.

Saturday, January 4, 1919

Age 20

GOUDHURST CEMETERY

Kent

A. 16. 20.

Women's Royal Air Force