Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

What are your needs from Holyhead?

1 hour ago, brhillier said:

What are your needs from Holyhead?

In the Armenia Chapel, Holyhead, is a Roll of Honour with the names of Ethel Davies, Maggie Jones and Nellie Jones on it. A photograph of this showing their names is required.

Hi Jim,

This is the Roll of Honour from Armenia Chapel, Holyhead. The chapel has been demolished. A small group of houses now stand in its place. The memorial was moved to Hyfrydle Chapel, Thomas Street, Holyhead. The photograph was given to me by a member of the congregation with permission to use freely.

regards,

Barry

image.jpeg

Thank you, Barry. I obviously came to the right person for this one. Much appreciated. Looking at your interests you may be able to help me with another query. Margaret Williams, a native of Anglesey, drowned in the Irish Sea as a stewardess aboard the S.S. Connemara on the 3rd November 1916. Do you know if her body was ever recovered and, if so, where she may be resting?

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

2 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

It says on here that her body was never recovered Jim.

http://www.womenandwar.wales/browse.php?order=deathcause&page=31

There are lots of woman on that website though 

Thank you, Wayne. I had it recorded that her body was not recovered but sometime bodies are recovered months afterward and the original circumstances do not get updated. As she was lost in the Irish Sea it is just possible that her remains were recovered for burial with her father in Maeshyfryd Cemetery, Holyhead.

What can I get you in Deansgrange, Dublin?

18 hours ago, monkstown said:

What can I get you in Deansgrange, Dublin?

Hello Monkstown, 

DUBLIN (Deansgrange) - Eleanor KING, Voluntary Aid Detachment, died 20th February 1920 and is buried in plot 321, SW section, Deansgrange Cemetery. A photograph of her headstone required.

Also Frances Elizabeth SAUNDERS, Voluntary Aid Detachment, died 10th October 1918 and is buried in plot 20-21, row H2, Deansgrange Cemetery. A photograph of her headstone required.

18 hours ago, Nutting said:

Anything needed from Jersey?

Nigel

Hello Nigel,

Whilst I have no specific requirement that is only because I do not know where they are buried. If you fancy some sleuthing and can find burial records the following Voluntary Aid Detachment members died on Jersey during the war-time period.

Emily AMY

Amy FROST

Emma GODFRAY

Gertrude Augusta HENRY

Lilian Mary JENKINSON

Annie Lamber M. LE CORNU

Louisa Maingay ROBIN

Eva Christine SECKHAM

Grace Alice WHEELER

Jim

My daughter has moved from Edinburgh to Oban and I am there now. I can certainly do you Appin once the rain stops and possibly Kilmartin. Let me know the details.

Cheers Martin B

On 7 July 2019 at 10:24, Jim Strawbridge said:

Thank you, Barry. I obviously came to the right person for this one. Much appreciated. Looking at your interests you may be able to help me with another query. Margaret Williams, a native of Anglesey, drowned in the Irish Sea as a stewardess aboard the S.S. Connemara on the 3rd November 1916. Do you know if her body was ever recovered and, if so, where she may be resting?

Hi Jim - her body was never recovered. Another Volunteer at the Holyhead Maritime Museum is the great-niece of Margaret Williams and she confirms this.

Some family information here - https://sites.google.com/site/holyheadwarmemorial19141918/home/ss-connemara/margaret-williams-stewardess

Barry.

20 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

Jim

My daughter has moved from Edinburgh to Oban and I am there now. I can certainly do you Appin once the rain stops and possibly Kilmartin. Let me know the details.

Cheers Martin B

Martin,

APPIN - In Appin church is a Roll of Honour presented by William Russell Fergusson in memory of his nephew. The Roll includes those from Appin who served and it includes the names of Viola CAMPBELL, Mary A. MacCOLL and Katriona J. ROSS. In the churchyard is the grave of Mary Struthers DRUMMOND who died on the 9th November 1918. She served with the Scottish Women's Hospital. Sorry, but I do not have a grave position. Her name is also on the Appin and Port Appin War Memorial. Both the Roll of Honour and the Appin and Port Appin War Memorial can be Googled for photographs but I do not have permission from someone with copyright to use them.

KILMARTIN - Buried in Kilmartin church cemetery is the grave of A.A. (Annie ?) SCOTT who died 9th May 1921. I have a photograph of her headstone from Find A Grave but do not have permission to use it (tried, but no response). But if you look on Find A Grave to see what it looks like it may save you time in searching for it.

Regards,  Jim

16 hours ago, brhillier said:

Hi Jim - her body was never recovered. Another Volunteer at the Holyhead Maritime Museum is the great-niece of Margaret Williams and she confirms this.

Some family information here - https://sites.google.com/site/holyheadwarmemorial19141918/home/ss-connemara/margaret-williams-stewardess

Barry.

Thank you, Barry. That confirms it, then. I shall stop looking.

As promised jim , here  are the photos I promised from my local cemetery in brook st erith kent.

Theres been posts on the forum relating to the incident just after the great war .

Regards 

Steve 

Oops something went awry 

It wont let me send any more pics

20190710_161644.jpg

20190710_161700.jpg

20190710_161708.jpg

Hi Jim send me who you need inUttoexter and Ebbw Vale please and on my roamings in the hols I will try and help

On 02/07/2019 at 11:04, Jim Strawbridge said:

Portsdown

Jim, is this Portsdown (Christchurch) Military Cemetery, and are you after Staff Nurse Bridget Donovan, ref A.54?

If so I will try to get that one for you. I have not forgotten about the VAD in Alverstoke, and pass the cemetery often, but rarely with someone on hand to assist! Touch wood for soon.

Jim  and Jane

It's probably easier for me to get to the Portsdown Cemetery, who are you after?  I have been there before for you Jim and am now back in Pompey for a while.

EDIT if it is Donovan I have a photograph of the grave already, taken when I visited Helena Margaret Dove.

Keith

Edited by keithmroberts

4 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

Jim  and Jane

It's probably easier for me to get to the Portsdown Cemetery, who are you after?  I have been there before for you Jim and am now back in Pompey for a while.

EDIT if it is Donovan I have a photograph of the grave already, taken when I visited Helena Margaret Dove.

Keith

Hello Keith and Jane,

It is Donovan that I am after, Jane, so you can stand/sit aside.  Keith, I have a photograph which I am unsure if it is a memorial or a grave marker. It is headed "The Staff of Alexandra Hospital erected this cross in memory of Staff Nurse Bridget Donovan".  Bridget Donovan, QAIMNS, died 3rd April 1916 and is buried in Portsdown (Christ Church) Military Cemetery, plot A.54. No longer a cross extant as it has either fallen off or removed for H & S reasons. Either confirmation that this memorial acts as a grave marker or a photograph of the actual grave, please.

Jim - I have emailed you photos of the headstones for Eleanor King and Frances Elizabeth Saunders (Dean's Grange Cemetery).

Jim, 

At last I have Kathleen Felicia Devereux Woods for you. I visited this evening with my husband, and a good thing I did, as the grave in question required clambering off the grass footpath and on to the gravel covering of another, so himself took two photos, one of the side with Kathleen's name, and one close up of that panel. As far as I can see the stone is mossy and lichenous rather than actually crumbling.

St Mark's Church (built in 1844 in the face of some opposition from St Mary's Alverstoke) eventually fell into disuse and after being declared unsafe was demolished in 1911; the present graveyard takes in the old building footprint as well as the original churchyard. By the 1980s it was pretty much a wilderness, although the inscriptions had been recorded, and only in  2003 did a group of locals began the task of tidying it up. Even now, not all the stones have been cleaned and unfortunately the Woods stone is one of them. I don't know on what criteria cleaning is done but I will enquire of the Friends whether plot 40 can be given precedence.

This is a view of the family plot; Kathleen's parents' names are on the side of the pedestal toward the viewer.

Back of stone.jpg

PS I can't find your latest e-mail so will be obliged if you can PM it to me - thanks! 

sJ

On 12/07/2019 at 10:42, monkstown said:

Jim - I have emailed you photos of the headstones for Eleanor King and Frances Elizabeth Saunders (Dean's Grange Cemetery).

They have not come through. Perhaps you were using an old email address so I have messaged through my current one.

Hi Jim,

I was informed by Steve that there was no record of where Victoria's grave might be due to the fact that it unmarked and there is no record in the church. All I have is that her burial is in the burial register dated 5 July 1917 No 312.

I took a photo of the memorial board to the women who died as a result of working in WW1 munitions factories, the Victoria's name (misspelt as Whidgett) is on. I'm now in correspondence with York Minster Collections regarding whether its misspelt in their original records or whether the painter/writer made an error.....and whether it can be corrected. They were very helpful. I've attached the photo I took.

I would be grateful to see a photo of the grave.

Best wishes

Howard

012d49d5aaa8793c4893028a6bfea2f5f19286b0cc.jpg