Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

17 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Dorothy fox in Barnsley. Have you got a photo of her grave in Barnsley cemetery and her window in the church

Hello Wayne. Yes, I have both. The stained glass window you actually provided. But thank you for the offer.

11 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

What are your requirements from Wycombe 

Flora Ellen BARLOW, VAD, died 23rd October 1918, is buried in High Wycombe cemetery; section B; unconsecrated; grave 289

16 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

I will have a look Saturday. Also there is a CWGC headstone in Wakefield cemetery for Frances Marjorie Phillips Smith. Do you have her photo

She's WW2 and so outside of my requirements.

On 11/10/2006 at 09:59, Jim Strawbridge said:

Cole Emily H. Emily Cole Helensburgh Dunbartonshire Nurse Female Died 1915 Royal Army Medical Corps ?

Is she not the Sister Emily Helena Cole QAIMNS recorded by the CWGC.  Family from a different part of the country but that does not seem to be unusual.

On 06/12/2018 at 10:36, mbriscoe said:

Is she not the Sister Emily Helena Cole QAIMNS recorded by the CWGC.  Family from a different part of the country but that does not seem to be unusual.

Yes. she is the same one. I am not sure what point you are making, though. I was never in doubt. She died in France and is remembered on her father's grave marker and the local Helensburgh War Memorial. She was educated at Knole Hall High School, Bournemouth and that is why she is listed in the Bournemouth Book of Remembrance.

16 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Yes. she is the same one. I am not sure what point you are making, though. I was never in doubt. She died in France and is remembered on her father's grave marker and the local Helensburgh War Memorial. She was educated at Knole Hall High School, Bournemouth and that is why she is listed in the Bournemouth Book of Remembrance.

I just did a search of the forum and the only mentions that I saw were those old ones from you which were probably posted before you were sure.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Kenny.bell said:

Hello Jim

What do you need from Cupar?

Regards

Kenny

Hello Kenny,

CUPAR - Beatrice Victoria Campbell, QMAAC and Helen Milne, QAIMNS. Their names are said to be on the Cupar War Memorial, Nicholson Park, Cupar. A photograph of their names on it required. There may be an anomoly here as Helen Milne's name may be on the WW2 list. If so, it begs the question whether this is a mistake or two ladies with same name. I must do more research on that.

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Hello Kenny,

CUPAR - Beatrice Victoria Campbell, QMAAC and Helen Milne, QAIMNS. Their names are said to be on the Cupar War Memorial, Nicholson Park, Cupar. A photograph of their names on it required. There may be an anomoly here as Helen Milne's name may be on the WW2 list. If so, it begs the question whether this is a mistake or two ladies with same name. I must do more research on that.

In the middle

The Men of Cupar Parish and Town War Memorial

The Men of Cupar Parish and Town War Memorial

Edited by mbriscoe

I'm happy to cover Suffolk and also visit Longuenesse, Pas de Calais (St.Omer) regularly and know there are a large number of memorials there if that is any help.

15 hours ago, George Rayner said:

I'm happy to cover Suffolk and also visit Longuenesse, Pas de Calais (St.Omer) regularly and know there are a large number of memorials there if that is any help.

Hello George, Thank you for the offer. My full listing is one page back. France has been pretty well covered in the past so far as graves are concerned but I do have requirements from , Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches. As for Suffolk I have two requirements. Unfortunately one may prove difficult. Kate Marie Crawford was killed by a zeppelin on the 9th August 1915 and is buried in St. Edmund's churchyard, Kessingland. Someone has already searched the cemetery without success so she may be in an unmarked grave. The other is Janet Holme Pilkington, VAD, who died in 1916. She is buried in All Saints churchyard, Saxtead and I need a photograph of her grave/headstone. Her father was the vicar of Framlingham so there should be better luck with that one. Jim

Will do the Suffolk two. Need a few days!

12 hours ago, Ken Lees said:

What do you need from Ormskirk and Ainsdale, Lancashire ? 

The name of Ellen Preece, munition worker, who died 23rd July 1918 is said to be on the Comrades Roll of Honour which used to be outside of the Comrades of the Great War Club on Southport Roadbut was moved to Coronation Park, Ormskirk in 2012. Her name is believed to also be amongst names on two granite plinths installed on the approach to the memorial in 2016. In Ainsdale, the name of Stella Rose Boue-Blandy, QAIMNS, died 13th January 1919 is on a memorial in St. John;s church, 708 Liverpool Road, Ainsdale, PR8 3QE.

10 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

The name of Ellen Preece, munition worker, who died 23rd July 1918 is said to be on the Comrades Roll of Honour which used to be outside of the Comrades of the Great War Club on Southport Roadbut was moved to Coronation Park, Ormskirk in 2012. Her name is believed to also be amongst names on two granite plinths installed on the approach to the memorial in 2016. In Ainsdale, the name of Stella Rose Boue-Blandy, QAIMNS, died 13th January 1919 is on a memorial in St. John;s church, 708 Liverpool Road, Ainsdale, PR8 3QE.

Noted. 

On 28/12/2018 at 16:55, bostonwayne said:

Did you see that nurse olive Willey is to get a cwgc headstone

I found her unmarked grave so it is nice to see that a permanent gravestone is to be erected in due course.

18 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

I see also that Eliza Willis is to be given a cwgc headstone in burngreave cemetery near me. Do you need a photo 

Hello Wayne, Yes, I will need one. You kindly provided a photograph when unmarked for which I thank you. She should be getting a CWGC marker in due course but it could be several years before it is ready (unless you know different from the local news).

Eliza is buried in kk 1195 burngreave cemetery. This plot has a cwgc headstone there already to her son Harry. Is this the photo I sent you I'm sorry I don't remember but I take a lot of volunteer photographs. 

13 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Eliza is buried in kk 1195 burngreave cemetery. This plot has a cwgc headstone there already to her son Harry. Is this the photo I sent you I'm sorry I don't remember but I take a lot of volunteer photographs. 

Yes, that is the one. I wonder if the CWGC will add her name to her son's CWGC headstone. It seems the most likely direction that they will take.