Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

14 hours ago, Ex-boy said:

Thanks Jim. You will have seen Bostonwayne's reply and I would just confirm that I will stick with the hunt for Kate Wood. If you still have one to get in Sheerness, that could be one I can have a go at too if you send the details.

Ex-boy.   I am sure that BostonWayne wouldn't mind me sending you his photograph of the grave marker of Grace Gordon Jones if you really want to find it for piece of mind. Just let me know. As for Sheerness, I believe that the name of Mary Ann Hubbard, who was killed on an air-raid, is on the Sheerness War Memorial. Strangely, I have a WAAF from WW1 who should be on the Sheerness War Memorial but isn't. I have a few people born, lived and died in Sheerness but have yet to find there final resting places. That's for another day.

8 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Ex-boy.   I am sure that BostonWayne wouldn't mind me sending you his photograph of the grave marker of Grace Gordon Jones if you really want to find it for piece of mind. Just let me know. As for Sheerness, I believe that the name of Mary Ann Hubbard, who was killed on an air-raid, is on the Sheerness War Memorial. Strangely, I have a WAAF from WW1 who should be on the Sheerness War Memorial but isn't. I have a few people born, lived and died in Sheerness but have yet to find there final resting places. That's for another day.

Hi Jim. It's not a photo of Grace's grave that I'm after, but the solving of the puzzle. With the information I have it should have been easy to find, and Bostonwayne managed it in minutes, so I need to know what I was doing wrong. With Bostonwayne's info I may finally get there.

I will take a trip to Sheerness soon, as at least the war memorial will be easier to find than a grave.

Steve.

Edited by Ex-boy
Added apostrophe

22 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

I'm sorry but as I say I live in Barnsley and only have a short time to search so never  bothered searching in swanscombe 

Thanks again for the reply. I had hoped you may have some info from the vicar about the location of the grave, as I went a few weeks ago on the off-chance and had no joy. I will just have to keep trying.

Regards, 

Steve.

Hi Jim did you get any further with the request for merchant shipping memorial I was unsuccessful in locating at the national arboretum?  

13 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Hi Jim did you get any further with the request for merchant shipping memorial I was unsuccessful in locating at the national arboretum?  

No, I did not get any further. I contacted P. & O. for if I recall correctly the memorial was specific to their employees. But the person in their "history department" knew nothing about one.

Yes I know that feeling I experienced it at the museum in Brecon.  When I used to visit with my grandfather there was a lady there who seemed to know everything.  I went recently to hear a story I knew very well from the horses mouths and it had changed.  No one seemed to know about records I know were there.  Perhaps that storage shed at the arboretum might be the best bet as the initial reaction to my question was immediate recognition of the memorial being in the shed with a lot of other memorials.  They did say they would have to search. 

Jim,

What do you need in Dover?

Julian

The town hall was shut sorry but I did photograph the war memorial at the church . I will email you them all. Next is burton so could try croxall cum Oakley and alrewas 

20190323_085605.jpg

3 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

The town hall was shut sorry but I did photograph the war memorial at the church . I will email you them all. Next is burton so could try croxall cum Oakley and alrewas 

Wayne, photographs re the war memorial safely received. Thank you.

CROXALL CUM OAKLEY - The grave of Louisa Parbett, VAD, who died in 1919 (aged 74) is buried in St. John the Baptist churchyard.

ALREWAS - The National Arboretum is here and I was told that there is a memorial relating to P.& O. with names on it. Alas, a volunteer failed to find it and it is not listed on here :-  http://www.thenma.org.uk/whats-here/the-memorials/memorial-listing/  so I think that I was fed duff information. I am going to take it off my list.

I sent Jim photos of that memorial but even though not too old the names are starting to fade.  I believe there is an incorrect name too see earlier posts.

Jim I will go again soon and see if I can persuade them to check the shed they mentioned. 

P and O Ferries - an elderly neighbour who was a former merchant seaman thinks there is a museum which will have the memorial displayed.  Bear with me while I further enquire because he has Alzheimer’s.  His past memory can be quite clear. 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

An update of my photograph requirements

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

ANGLESEY, Holyhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin, Kilmartin

BEDFORDSHIRE, Houghton Regis

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive, Wycombe

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery

CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

CORNWALL, Isles of Scilly,

CUMBRIA, Winster

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst

DERBYSHIRE, Croxall cum Oakley, Marston on Dove, Shirebrook, Taxal, Tibshelf
DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux, Withycombe

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Sunderland (Grangetown),

ESSEX, East Ham, Moulsham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Cheltenham, Charlton Kings, Coleford

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HAMPSHIRE, Alverstoke, Portsdown, Southampton (Old Cemetery)

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane), Ulster (Tullanisken),

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Cheriton, Dover, Eltham, Folkestone, Gillingham, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Blackburn, Bolton, Chadderton, Healey, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Ormskirk, St. Helens, Turton, Tyldesley, Wigan, Withington

LEICESTERSHIRE, Barrow upon Soar, Leicester

LINCOLNSHIRE, Belton, Blyton, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Walcot, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, Poplar, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Caistor

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene, Northampton (Dallington)

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Newark, Nottingham
PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

SOMERSET, Bridgwater
STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradley, Brindley Ford, Chasetown, Newchapel, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Chessington, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge, Witley
SUSSEX, Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham, Warnham

WARWICKSHIRE, Coventry

YORKSHIRE, Altofts, Burley in Wharfdale, Colton, Danby Wiske, Halifax, Horsforth, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Leeds (Beckett Street), Low Moor, Redcar, Scarborough, Sheffield, Skipton, Staithes

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), British Columbia (Summerland), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater, Fox River, +12, Yarmouth), Ontario (Brantford, Carleton, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon), Co. Cork (Kinsale), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Kilkenny (Kilkenny), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Superior)

On :- ARGYLLSHIRE (Kilmartin 2/19), BEDFORDSHIRE (Houghton Regis 5/19), CORNWALL (Isles of Scilly 3/19, Phillack 1/19), DERBYSHIRE (Marston on Dove 4/19, Tibshelf 5/19), DURHAM (Sunderland (Grangetown)) 4/19, DUMFRIES-SHIRE (Dumfries 2/19), ESSEX (Moulsham 6/19, Southend 12/18), FIFESHIRE (Cupar 11/18), GLOUCESTERSHIRE (Coleford 5/19), IRELAND, North (Ulster, Tullanisken 2/19), (KENT (Cheriton 6/19, Hythe 12/18, Lewisham 12/18, Sheerness 12/18, Sydenham 12/18), LANCASHIRE (Ormskirk 10/18, Withington 6/19), LEICESTERSHIRE (Barrow upon Soar 12/18, Leicester 11/18), LINCOLNSHIRE (Belton 5/19, Walcot 4/19, Well 12/18), LONDON/MIDDLESEX (Chingford (11/18), Cowley 12/18, Fulham 11/18, Newham 12/18, Poplar 1/19), Norfolk (Caistor 3/19), NORTHAMPTONSHIRE (Northampton 12/18), Nottinghamshire (Newark 3/19), SURREY (Weybridge 5/19), SUSSEX (Hastings 10/18, Warnham 1/19), WARWICKSHIRE (Coventry 5/19), YORKSHIRE (Colton 2/19, Danby Wiske 3/19),  Ireland (Kilkenny), CANADA British Columbia (Summerland 4/19), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater 5/19, Yarmouth 5/19), Ontario (Carleton 4/19)

Off :- BERKSHIRE (Wokingham), CHESHIRE (Handbridge 5/19), Cornwall (Phillack 7/19), DERBYSHIRE (Croxall cum Oakley 4/19), DORSETSHIRE (Holt 10/18), DUMFRIES-SHIRE  (Dumfries 4/19), DURHAM (Pelton 6/19, Willington 6/19), FIFESHIRE, (Cupar 12/18), KENT (Crayford 2/19, Rochester 1/19, Sheerness 4/19), LANCASHIRE (Bury 1/19, Pendlebury 1/19),  NORFOLK (Downham Market 3/19), STAFFORDSHIRE (Alrewas 3/19), WILTSHIRE (Chippenham 2/19)

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Jim, I can visit Portsdown again fairly easily, although I'm a little under the weather at the moment so it may be a couple of weeks.

Keith

10 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Jim, I can visit Portsdown again fairly easily, although I'm a little under the weather at the moment so it may be a couple of weeks.

Keith

Keith, No hurry. Keep well, Jim

13 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

What do you need in Kilkenny?

Two new memorials have at least four female casualties on them and possibly more. I should like photographs of the names. The new memorialares in Peace Park, Kilkenny and a broad view can be seen here :- http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Place-Detail?siteId=580  and at MacDonagh Station, Station Road, Kilkenny here :- http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Place-Detail?siteId=586

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for looking. If you could not find a headstone I am satisfied that there isn't one, My reasoning is that Louisa Parbett became a ladies maid at sometime between 1871 and 1881 to the family living at nearby Croxall Hall. She was still there in the 1911 census and I guess that she was kept on out of loyalty. She died aged 74 as a spinster and probably no close family.

I think this needs looking at again. The headstone to the right of the path was for a ladies maid at croxall hall. I cant remember the name but it wasn't Parbett. I will look again and photograph it.

Hi Everyone, 

I’m desperately searching for a photograph of Major General William Travers Swan. 

Born in Ireland, studied to be a surgeon. 

Became The DMS for VII Corps of the 3rd army under General Allenby. 

Would really appreciate any help with this :) 

Jim, if you can post details of all the ladies in Lincolnshire, either on here or by PM, I will see what I can do. I have 2 weeks off and Ive already got cabin fever.

3 hours ago, temptage said:

Jim, if you can post details of all the ladies in Lincolnshire, either on here or by PM, I will see what I can do. I have 2 weeks off and Ive already got cabin fever.

Here we go (and hopefully here you go !).

BLYTON - Dorothy Lucy HOWELL, civilian nurse, died 1918. Her name is on a scroll in the local church. Presumably this is a "written" Roll of Honour. Whilst I have her name off the Blyton War Memorial I am happy to take another if you happen to get there.

LINCOLN - Beatrice Mary HODGSON, VAD, died 29th December 1919. Buried in St. Peter (Eastgate) churchyard. Also mentioned on a remembrance tablet in St. Peter's church.

MUMBY - Hilda ROBERTSHAW, VAD and Mildred Bessie ROBERTSHAW, died together 13th September 1920 in a swimming accident. There names are on a memorial plaque in Mumby church.

SAUSTHORPE - Ethel SWAN, VAD, died 28th February 1916. She is buried in St. Andrew churchyard, Sausthorpe.

SCOTHERN - Charlotte FOX, munition worker, died 5th December 1916. Buried St. Germain churchyard. I know that she is on Find A Grave (this might help find her).

WELL - Mary HASNIP, VAD, died 10th December 1919. She is commemorated on two plaques in St. Margaret's church Well.

WHAPLODE DROVE - Marjorie Adeline GRUNDY, VAD, died 21st October 1918. She is said to be buried in St. John the Baptist churchyard but someone has searched the cemetery without success. Worth a second check. She may be buried with her parent's there which is a triple width, kerbed grave that reads :-  "Everlasting happy memories of our father and mother John Henry Grundy. At rest April 3rd 1940. Aged 75. And Lissie Ann Mary Grundy. A rest October 25th 1940, aged 64". To their left :- "In loving memory of John Henry Grundy. Born 12th October 1902. Died 8th October 1977. Also his wife Alice Gwendolyn Grundy. Born 11th October 1907. Died 25th December 1985". To their right :- "In loving memory of Normon (stet) John Grundy 20th Dec 1900 - 22nd April 1989. Also his wife Ivy Grundy. 19th Sept 1899 - 15th Jan 1991".  I have photographs of her name on the Roll of Honour in the church and also her name on the War Memorial.

WILLOUGHBY - Harriet SALES, VAD, died 1921. Buried in St. Helena's churchyard

On 26/03/2019 at 14:32, Jim Strawbridge said:

An update of my photograph requirements

DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth, St. Budeaux

Hi,

I can do St Bureaux and Plymouth

Chris