The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

On 12/04/2019 at 23:26, Dragoon said:

Hi,

I can do St Bureaux and Plymouth

Chris

Hello Chris, I gave you my Plymouth and St. Budeaux requirements in a direct message on the 21st January 2018. I heard no more from you. The same requirements are still outstanding, Regards, Jim

46 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Hello Chris, I gave you my Plymouth and St. Budeaux requirements in a direct message on the 21st January 2018. I heard no more from you. The same requirements are still outstanding, Regards, Jim

Ah, yes you did! I got one of them but a couple of others to look for, my bad Jim, thought there were new ones on the list.

I'm around St B way soon so I'll have a look for that one again,and I've a list of names to take photos of on the hoe memorial so I'll look for that one, sorry for the mix up Jim.

Chris 

1 hour ago, Kenny.bell said:

Jim, Kirton Peterhead? 

Hello Kenny,

KIRTON, Fraserburgh - Agnes May Rettie MITCHELL, hospital nurse, died 1st December 1916, aged 36. She is buried in Kirton Cemetery.

PETERHEAD, Aberdeenshire - Bella Jane BRUCE, was interred in grave A/92, Peterhead Cemetery in November 1918. There are five members of the Bruce family in the same grave. This is a speculative one as the name of B.J. Bruce is on the York Minster panels. With no first names it is a matter of finding the right one. I could not find her death registered in England or Wales during the war time period. But two in Scotland. The other is Barbara Jane Will BRUCE who was interred on the 2nd November 1918 in NIGG Churchyard, Aberdeenshire (Nellie Bruce in the same grave). I am hoping that a headstone will give a clue as to the right one. I did a Google as to how far between Peterhead and Nigg and found it was140 miles apart (I heard Sean Connery in my head saying "Shurly Shum Mishtake"). You have to tell Google that Nigg is in Aberdeenshire before it will put you right. Small place. It says that Nigg is an area of Aberdeen, Scotland, south of the River Dee. The area has a bay known as the Bay of Nigg or Nigg Bay, immediately south of a coastal golf course, and a farm that is also a visitor attraction, known as Doonies Farm. Depending on how you plan to get to Peterhead perhaps you can manage both. But shall understand if you manage neither. Regards, Jim

Catherine Hedley Rodgers.
Worker 45131.
Hostel (Gateshead) Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps.
Age 27 who died at home on 9th November 1918.
Born Jarrow 1891.
Enlisted Newcastle.
Daughter of the late David and Mary J. Rodgers. 
 What do you know about this lady Jim. There is a request for a photo on find a grave and I am going to look on Friday as this churchyard is near my daughters 

13 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Catherine Hedley Rodgers.
Worker 45131.
Hostel (Gateshead) Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps.
Age 27 who died at home on 9th November 1918.
Born Jarrow 1891.
Enlisted Newcastle.
Daughter of the late David and Mary J. Rodgers. 
 What do you know about this lady Jim. There is a request for a photo on find a grave and I am going to look on Friday as this churchyard is near my daughters 

I have census information and not a lot more. There is a memorial in Grangetown, about five miles east of Middlesborough, and close to the steelworks, which contains 138 names of which one is female. The wording is simply "Nurse Rodgers V.A.D." QMAAC and VAD work was very similar and because of the geographical location being relatively close it is assumed that this relates to Catherine. Someone once told me that her name was on the Jarrow War Memorial but I don't believe this to be the case.

20 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Have you already a photo of her grave 

Yes, I do. But always happy to get another so that I have a choice when it comes to publishing.

Hi Jim,

Spent the day in Chester today and stopped off at Old Overleigh Cemetery. Successfully located Lily Harriett Selby's grave. Photos to follow by email.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/03/2019 at 10:58, Jim Strawbridge said:

Peter,

The name of Susanah Hall was only placed on the Reedham War Memorial in 1995. I have a photograph of it from a newspaper article but, by it's nature, is not the best so if you have one it would be appreciated. As for Violet Meal, that is one that I have. The CWGC adopted her grave in 2014 but as the existing headstone is extant and in quite good order I don't think that they will consider adding their own.

Regards,

Jim

Here's the relevant panel from the Reedham Memorial for Susannah Hall. I've e-mailed you some images of the same thing. Three of her brothers, Ernest, John and James are listed on other faces.

The Army Register of Soldiers Effects records that she died of pneumonia. The photo link will take you through to more biographical details.

40837351883_755eed9a18.jpgReedham War Memorial - Great War Panel 2 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you to Bostonwayne, Gardnerbill and PRC for the outstanding photographs that I needed. Much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Put your Durham and Northumberland on here Jim. My daughter lives in Washington now and I'm up there regularly. I'm going tomorrow in fact and may be able to do 1. 

4 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Put your Durham and Northumberland on here Jim. My daughter lives in Washington now and I'm up there regularly. I'm going tomorrow in fact and may be able to do 1. 

CO. DURHAM

Chester le Street

Lillie LIDDELL, VAD (died 29/9/18 and buried in Egypt). I have photographs of her name on the Chester le Street War Memorial and on a newish memorial in the Market Place. I have since found that there is a memorial to her inside a church but I cannot be certain which one. I think that it is probably that of St. Mary and St. Cuthberts Church for the Chester-le-Street War Memorial is outside and behind it. Not necessary but if you do make it to this one and at the church, I am happy to take another of the War Memorial, too.

Hebburn

Mary Slaughter, civilian, died 11th July 1916, aged 35. Buried in Hebburn Cemetery believed without a grave marker. This is an outside chance as I do not know her grave position as yet but there is a photograph of her funeral on the Web which may help.

Jarrow

Ann Isabella LAUGHLIN, civilian, died 15th June 1915, aged 62. She is buried in grave 693, section K, Jarrow cemetery with her mother (Ann Fraser). Believed not to have a grave marker so a view of the grassy plot required.

Pelton

Mary Ann (Annie) BELL, munition worker, died 2nd May 1917, aged 18. There is an Annie Bell buried in plot OD237, Pelton cemetery and I am hoping that this is the one for me.Her name is on the Pelton Fell War Memorial but I have that.

Sunderland

Gertrude Ann PATRICK, civilian, died 1st April 1916, aged 19. She is buried in Mere Knolls Cemetery, Torver Crescent, Fulwell, Sunderland.

Elizabeth Ann RANSON, civilian, died 1st April 1916, aged 5.  She is buried in Mere Knolls Cemetery, Torver Crescent, Fulwell, Sunderland.

Elizabeth Jane THIRKELL, civilian, died 1st April 1916, aged 16. She is buried in Grangetown cemetery, Sunderland.

Elizabeth WELDON, civilian, died 1st April 1916, aged 67. She is buried in Mere Knolls Cemetery, Torver Crescent, Fulwell, Sunderland.

Willington

no longer required

NORTHUMBERLAND

Haydon Bridge

Winifred Eliza CARRICK, VAD, died 24th June 1919, aged 29. She is buried in Haydon Bridge's Alexandra Terrace cemetery. Presumably she is in a family grave, this reference may help with finding it.  (http://www.haydon-news.co.uk/issues/2016apr.pdf (edit) Did a Google Earth on Alexandra Terrace. Only church nearby is the Catholic one. Web site is weak and don't even know if the RC church has a cemetery.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Right I'll try holy trinity church pelton on find a grave there is a memorial for annie bell but no photo also memorials for 2 other annie bells born 1873 so could be her mother. No photos but plot numbers so will look

Hello Jim,

Kensal Green (All Souls') Cemetery

I have grave references, Sq numbers and plans showing the positions of all the 6 graves listed below and am starting to search for the graves.

Ellen BROWN  47276

Vivian E BURY  44802 (buried as)

Edith CUTHELL  27413

Oona Grace GROGAN  46999

Margaret A H HILL  37023

L S WILLIS (Lucia S)  45855

cgm

2 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Right I'll try holy trinity church pelton on find a grave there is a memorial for annie bell but no photo also memorials for 2 other annie bells born 1873 so could be her mother. No photos but plot numbers so will look

Thank you, Wayne.

22 minutes ago, CGM said:

Hello Jim,

I have grave references, Sq numbers and plans showing the positions of all the 6 graves listed below and am starting to search for the graves.

Ellen BROWN  47276

Edith CUTHELL  27413

Oona Grace GROGAN  46999

Margaret A H HILL  37023

cgm

You're a star.

Had a look at pelton. Unfortunately couldn't pinpoint the plots down as there is no map on the board here or online. I will try to find a map so I know the exact plot but I have photographed the area I think it is

20190602_132154.jpg

20190602_133440.jpg

122800823_abe2ccb6-1db6-42c8-aefd-0dcbd334f968.jpeg

On 02/06/2019 at 09:50, CGM said:

Hello Jim,

Ellen BROWN  47276

Edith CUTHELL  27413

Oona Grace GROGAN  46999

Margaret A H HILL  37023

cgm

Thank you for the plot numbers.

Thank you, Wayne, for the photograph of the plot. The other Bells that you have found I cannot see are related.

• 4 weeks later...

Having visited Phillack in Cornwall and taken photographs of three more graves I thought that it might be good to update the listing.

An update of my photograph requirements

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin, Kilmartin

BEDFORDSHIRE, Houghton Regis

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive, Wycombe

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote, Mepal

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, New Quay

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery,

CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

CORNWALL, Isles of Scilly,

CUMBRIA, Winster

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst

DERBYSHIRE, Croxall cum Oakley, Marston on Dove, Shirebrook, Taxal, Tibshelf
DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux, Withycombe

DORSETSHIRE, Holt, Langton Long

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Sunderland (Grangetown),

ESSEX, East Ham, Moulsham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Cheltenham, Charlton Kings, Coleford, Oakridge Lynch

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HAMPSHIRE, Alverstoke, Southampton (Old Cemetery)

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane), Ulster (Tullanisken),

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Cheriton, Dover, Eltham, Folkestone, Gillingham, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Blackburn, Bolton, Chadderton, Healey, Liverpool x 2 (Ford Cemetery and Kirkdale), Manchester, Ormskirk, St. Helens, Turton, Tyldesley, Wigan, Withington

LEICESTERSHIRE, Barrow upon Soar, Leicester, Loughborough

LINCOLNSHIRE, Belton, Blyton, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Walcot, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, Poplar, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Caistor

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene, Northampton (Dallington)

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Newark, Nottingham

OXFORDSHIRE, Ardington
PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradley, Brindley Ford, Chasetown, Newchapel, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Chessington, Cobham, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge, Witley
SUSSEX, Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham, Warnham

WARWICKSHIRE, Coventry

YORKSHIRE, Altofts, Bramham, Burley in Wharfdale, Colton, Danby Wiske, Halifax, Horsforth, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Leeds (Beckett Street), Low Moor, Redcar, Scarborough, Sheffield, Skipton, Staithes

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), British Columbia (Summerland), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater, Fox River, +12, Yarmouth), Ontario (Brantford, Carleton, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon), Co. Cork (Kinsale), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Kilkenny (Kilkenny), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Superior)

On :- ARGYLLSHIRE (Kilmartin 2/19), BEDFORDSHIRE (Houghton Regis 5/19), CAMBRIDGESHIRE (Mepal 7/19), CORNWALL (Isles of Scilly 3/19, Phillack 1/19), DERBYSHIRE (Marston on Dove 4/19, Tibshelf 5/19), DURHAM (Sunderland (Grangetown)) 4/19, DUMFRIES-SHIRE (Dumfries 2/19), ESSEX (Moulsham 6/19), GLOUCESTERSHIRE (Coleford 5/19, Oakridge Lynch 7/19), IRELAND, North (Ulster, Tullanisken 2/19), (KENT (Cheriton 6/19), LANCASHIRE (Withington 6/19), LEICESTERSHIRE (Barrow upon Soar 12/18), LINCOLNSHIRE (Belton 5/19, Walcot 4/19), LONDON/MIDDLESEX (Poplar 1/19), Norfolk (Caistor 3/19), NORTHAMPTONSHIRE (Northampton 12/18), Nottinghamshire (Newark 3/19), OXFORDSHIRE (Ardington 7/19), SURREY (Weybridge 5/19), SUSSEX (Warnham 1/19), WARWICKSHIRE (Coventry 5/19), YORKSHIRE (Colton 2/19, Danby Wiske 3/19),  Ireland (Kilkenny), CANADA British Columbia (Summerland 4/19), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater 5/19, Yarmouth 5/19), Ontario (Carleton 4/19)

Off :- ANGLESEY (Holyhead 7/19), BERKSHIRE (Wokingham), CHESHIRE (Handbridge 5/19), Cornwall (Phillack 7/19), DERBYSHIRE (Croxall cum Oakley 4/19), DUMFRIES-SHIRE  (Dumfries 4/19), DURHAM (Pelton 6/19, Willington 6/19), KENT (Crayford 2/19, Rochester 1/19, Sheerness 4/19), LANCASHIRE (Bury 1/19, Pendlebury 1/19),  NORFOLK (Downham Market 3/19), SOMERSETSHIRE (Bridgwater 5/19), STAFFORDSHIRE (Alrewas 3/19), WILTSHIRE (Chippenham 2/19)

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Hi Jim,

I've just posted a message regarding my great-aunt, Victoria Florence Whiddett together with a photograph I took recently of one of the memorial panels in York Minster commemorating the deaths of women who died as a result of their work in munitions factories. It appears that her surname was misspelt, Whidgett instead of Whiddett.

Howard.

23 hours ago, HWebber said:

Hi Jim,

I've just posted a message regarding my great-aunt, Victoria Florence Whiddett together with a photograph I took recently of one of the memorial panels in York Minster commemorating the deaths of women who died as a result of their work in munitions factories. It appears that her surname was misspelt, Whidgett instead of Whiddett.

Howard.

Hello Howard, We have already been in personal correspondance about your great aunt and you provided me with some of the family history. Since then I have obtained a photograph of her grave which seems to be unmarked  (unless you know different).  Regards, Jim