Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coucy Le Chateau May 1917

GROBBY

19 hours ago, GROBBY said:

The letter I will post now must be one of his last as it is dated the 24th November 1918 written from the Lazarett in Jena and that is after the war has ended,so im wondering what and where he was wounded and what happened after he wrote the letter to make him die .

Although it says he died of wounds, given that the healing was well under way and that all the reasons given above are well possible, I do want to bring another possible reason into play, given the date: the Spanish flu.

GreyC

Thank you for that,Yes I agree that it could well have been Influenza as Knittinganddeath posted earlier as millions died of it in 1918/19

6 hours ago, GreyC said:

Knittinganddeath is almost always correct :P

I wish my kids would think that when I tell them it's bedtime :lol:

An den Forstlehrling H. Nissen, p/t Herrn Forster D. . . . in Karlsburgholz bei Karby, Kreis Eckernförde, Schleswig-Holstein

den 9. Juni 18

Lieber Herbert!

Erhielt gestern Abend deinen Brief, besten Dank. Also die Krähejagt ist vorbei, wieviel Krähe hast du denn das Lebendlicht ausgeblasen? Du scheinst ja allerlei deinen Streiche zu machen, Spitze von der Fahnestange runterschossen?

Einen Karabiner kann ich dir leider nicht schicken, denn ich weiss nicht wie ich ihn hernehmen soll. Auch kann ich ihn kaum wegschicken. Bei der Offensive (?) kann man vielleicht mal ein Glas oder ein Pistole schnappen, aber jetzt liegen wir wieder in Stellung. Da ist nichts mehr zu finden.

Wie geht's dir dann sonst? Hier haben wir tadelloses Wetter, bei Euch nicht auch?

Grüsse Papa (?) mal (?) von mir wenn Du mal nach Grünholz kommst.

Herzliche Grüsse dein Julius

To the forest ranger apprentice H. Nissen, c/o Forest Ranger D. . . . in Karlsburg Forest near Karby, Eckernförde district, Schleswig-Holstein

9 June 1918

Dear Herbert!

Received your letter yesterday evening; thank you very much. So the crow hunt is over, how many of them did you blast the living daylights out of? You seem to be playing all sorts of pranks, shot down the top of the flagpole?

Unfortunately I can't send you a Karabiner short rifle, as I don't know where I would get my hands on one. And I can hardly just send it off. During the offensive (?) one might be able to grab a glass or a pistol, but now we're in position (?) and there is nothing to find.

How are you doing otherwise? We have perfect weather here, you too?

Say hello to Dad (?) for me when you next go to Grünholz.

Warm greetings from your Julius

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 11.39.23.png

Thank you .That was a realy interesting letter to his brother .I dont understand the piece obout being able to grab a glass or pistol on the offensive but it might just be the way he is talking.I shall post the next one but a warning ,a lot of the next ones are in pencil

img001 (2).jpg

img002 (2).jpg

39 minutes ago, GROBBY said:

to grab a glass or pistol on the offensive but it might just be the way he is talking.

He was keen on booty. He wanted his brother to practically steal a gun to which he replied that this was not possible, as there was no real movement in the war, so that nobody was leaving equipment behind. The only way of getting at least hold of a pair of binoculars (glasses) or a gun was an attack on the trenches of the enemy which at that time was not imminent.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Abs. Utffz. Nissen, 1. Mgk./Gren. R. 89

An Frl. Emma Nissen, Glücksburg/Schloss, Schleswig-Holstein

den 23.4.18

Liebe Emma!

Besten Dank für deinen lieben Brief. Ich habe mich sehr gefreut von dir einen kleine Brief zu bekommen.

Wie geht es dir denn, kleine Emmie? Also spazieren gehen wolltest du mir, das lasst sich wohl in nächster Zeit nicht machen.

Wenn du wieder mal Zeit und Lust hast schreibe mir mal.

Herzliche Grüsse dein Bruder Julius

From Unteroffizier Nissen, 1st Machine gun company, Grenadier Regiment 89

To Miss Emma Nissen, Glücksburg/Castle, Schleswig-Holstein

Dear Emma! Many thanks for your sweet letter. I was very happy to receive a small letter from you. How are you doing, little Emmie? You wanted to go for a stroll (with?) me, but that won't be possible in the near future. Write me again when you have the time and will. Warm greetings from your brother Julius

Edited by knittinganddeath
Gren. Regt, not Armk. - thanks charlie2!

2 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

1. Mgk./Armk. 89

1. MGK/Gren.R 89 - the bottom „loop“ of the G is very feint but it can just be made out.
Charlie

17 hours ago, charlie2 said:

1. MGK/Gren.R 89

Thank you! That makes a lot more sense.

Thank you both for your information .That was a nice little letter.Im sorry his handwriting is not going to improve but I think this card is his earliest and was when he joined up and was at the recruit depot.If it is we have correspondence from both ends of his military career

img002.pdf img001.pdf

Abs. Musketier J. Nissen, E.R. 86, . . . . . . . . 2. Korpralschaft, Gymnasium, Flensburg

Flensburg, den 4.12

Liebe Mutter

Habe deine Karte erhalten, ebenfalls das Brot. Besten Dank. Mir geht's noch immer gut. Mittwoch abend 6h werden wir vereidigt dann bekomme ich hoffentlich bald Sonntagsurlaub. Ich bin jetzt 2. Korpralschaft.

Hast du nicht ein bisschen aufs Brot. Ich habe nämlich ganz und gar nicht mehr zum Sparen. Vielleicht ein bisschen Marmelade. Der Kunsthonig war grossartig, er wurde bloss so schnell alle (?).

Wie geht's Euch sonst? Extra Mütze habe ich schon gekauft. Packe auch ein bisschen Stiefelcreme mit. Was macht . . . . ?

Hat Papa eigentlich die Karte in Dänemark bekommen? Morgen sind die Jungs wohl fern raus zu Webers Geburtstag.

Schreibe (?) bitte mal wieder.

Herzliche Grüsse Julius

From Musketier J. Nissen, ER 86, . . . . . 2nd squad, Gymnasium (High School), Flensburg

Flensburg, 4.12

Dear Mother,

Received your card and the bread. Thank you very much. I'm still doing well. On Wednesday evening at 6 o'clock we will be sworn in and then I will hopefully get Sundays off. I am now in the 2nd squad for basic training.

Do you not have something for the bread. I have namely nothing left here to save. Perhaps a bit of jam. The artificial honey was fantastic, it just went so quickly (?).

How are you all doing otherwise? I have already bought extra caps. Also send a bit of boot cream. What is . . . doing?

Did Dad actually receive the postcard in Denmark? Tomorrow the boys will probably be far away for Weber's birthday.

Please write again.

Warm greetings from Julius

He might have been at the "Altes Gymnasium" in Flensburg, which was founded in 1566.

Thank you for doing that .I found it interesting about the artificial honey I wonder what that was and buying exta caps ,I wonder what he needed those for ? .I can imagine the school being taken over as a barracks. I will post another 2 but the writing is getting harder I think

img001.pdf img002.pdf img003.pdf img004.pdf

Both letters are addressed to Forest Ranger Apprentice Herbert Nissen, c/o Forest Ranger Döse (?), Karlburgholz near Karby, Eckernförde district

Fl[ensburg] d[en] 13./6. 17

Lieber Herbert!

Habe deine beiden Briefe erhalten, besten Dank. Konnte so wegen Zeitmangel nicht früher beantworten.

Wir waren gestern in Bockstedt zum Gefechtsschiessen mit MG. Es war ganz schön.

Grüsse deinen Kollegen Henrichsen (?) recht viel mals (?) von mir.

Brief folgt. Schreibe bitte mal wieder.

Flensburg, 13 June 1917

Dear Herbert! Received both your letters, thank you very much. I was unable to reply earlier due to a lack of time. Yesterday we were in Bockstedt for combat shooting with machine guns. It was really cool.

Give my many greetings to your colleague Henrichsen (?).

Letter to follow. Please write again.

den 8.4.1918

Lieber Herbert!

Da ich gerade beim Schreiben bin, will ich Dir auch einen recht herzlichen Kartengruss senden. Hoffentlich hast du meine letzte Karte erhalten.

Wie geht es dir dann? Wieder noch immer fleissig Schneise geschossen?

Mir gehts auch noch immer so leidlich wohl. Seit lange keine Post von Dir erhalten. [Du] hast wohl nicht viel Zeit. Nun hast du jawohl bald dein erstes Jahr ein (?). Hoffentlich brauchst Du nicht Soldat zu werden.

8 April 1918

Dear Herbert!

As I'm busy writing, I also want to send you a warm postcard greeting. Hopefully you received my last card.

How are you doing? Been diligently cutting paths [through the trees] again?

I am doing passably well. Haven't received mail from you for a long time. [You] probably don't have much time. Soon you will be finished with your first year [as an apprentice?]. Hopefully you won't need to be a soldier.

This letter was written shortly after Grenadier Regiment 89 had fought in the Spring Offensive in France (21 March-9 April according to the regimental calendar of battles), and I wonder if that influenced his comment about his brother potentially becoming a soldier.

Re: the artificial honey from the previous letter, it is called invert sugar syrup in English. Although its name suggests it was an Ersatz foodstuff developed during the war, it was actually first produced in the 1880s. Wikipedia says that in Britain there is a related substance called Lyle's Golden Syrup.

leidlich, not lediglich - thanks GreyC

1 hour ago, knittinganddeath said:

Lyle's Golden Syrup.

Yummy!

lediglich=leidlich=so so / fairly

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Thank you that was very fast.I have 2 left one has been translated before but you might like to check it over for mistakes,the other one is a bit faint so you might have trouble.Its been a long time since ive had Golden Syrup but I was born and brought up not far from the Tate and Lyle factory in East London and used to love it especialy on toast

img001.pdf img002.pdf img003.pdf img004.pdf img005.pdf img006.pdf

18 hours ago, GreyC said:

lediglich=leidlich=so so / fairly

Thank you! I couldn't decide which it was, and now of course can't remember why I chose lediglich.

Abs. Gren. Nissen, Res. Feld Lazarett 53, Ortskranken (?), Stube

1. September 1917

Liebe Mutter! Meinen Brief werdet Ihr wohl inzwischen erhalten haben. Ich bin jetzt ziemlich wieder hergestellt und werde wohl in den nächsten Tagen entlassen werden. Mein Fieber ist jetzt ungefähr weg. Ich fühle mich ganz wohl. Nur der Hunger wird starker.

Dein Paket habe ich noch nicht bekommen aber ich hoffe es doch in den nächsten Tage zu erhalten. Schreibe bitte bald mal wieder.

Herzliche Grüsse an Euch alle

Julius!

From Grenadier Nissen, Reserve Feld Lazarett 53, locally ill (?), barracks room/dormitory

1 September 1917

Dear Mother! You will all have received my letter in the meanwhile. I'm pretty much recovered now and will probably be released in the next few days. My fever is mostly gone now. I feel very well. Only the hunger increases. 

I have not yet received your package, but I hope to do so in the next few days. Please write again soon.

Warm greetings to you all

Julius!

den 10. Jan. 18

Lieber Herbert!

Erhalte heute nachmittag Deine lieben Brief, besten Dank. Ich will ihn gleich beantworten, damit ich es nicht vergesse.

Mir gehts noch immer ganz leidlich wohl. Der Engländer ist hier ziemlich lebhaft in den letzten Tagen, aber man wirds schon gewohnt. Hoffentlich bist du gut ins neue Jahre hineingekommen. Augenblicklich wakkelt der ganze Unterstand, so stark schiesst der Tommy.

Also, mit der Hasenjagd ist wohl bald vorbei, schiesst man noch ein paar Krumme ab.

Ich denke, Ende Februar komme ich in Urlaub. Hoffentlich kommst Du dann auch mal wieder mal nach Glücksburg. Von Richard Ernst bekam ich heute nachmittag auch einen Brief. Welcher Jahrgang ist eigentlich schon eingezogen, ist Jhrg. 1900 schon gemustert?

Wenn es Deine Zeit erlaubt, schreibe bitte mal wieder.

Es grüsst vielmals

Julius!

10 January 1918

Dear Herbert!

Received your dear letter this afternoon; thank you very much. I will answer immediately, so that I don't forget.

I'm still doing reasonably well. The English have been quite lively for the past few days, but one gets used to it. Hopefully you have gotten off to a good start in the New Year. At the moment, the whole shelter is shaking, for Tommy shoots so hard.

So, the hare hunt will probably be over soon, one might still shoot a few field hares.

I think that I will come home on leave at the end of February. Hopefully you will able to come to Glücksburg again too. I received a letter from Richard Ernst this afternoon as well. Which age group has already been called up, has the cohort of 1900 already been mustered?

When time allows you, please write again.

Many greetings from Julius!

The missing word in the original transcription is Krumme - hunter's slang for field hares, according to Google.

A shame to say goodbye to Julius. I miss him already, with his perfect spelling and thoughtful composition. Anyway, for a change of scene here we are:

Posen. An der Theaterbrücke

Abs. Vachenauer, Kav. R.R. 8, 8. Kav. Div.

An Fräulein Marti Vachenauer, Freiburg in Baden, Belfortstrasse 27

Posen den 2. Dez. 1914

Liebe Marti

Seid 3 Tagen untenwegs u.

heute Hier . . . . . Gnesen

dann wieder zur Kolonne.

Von der Firma habe ich

100 Cigaretten, Chocolade, & Land-

jäger erhalten sowie Brief

von Staigerman. Von Kanter bis

jetzt nichts. Bis Sonntag

bei der Kolonne wieder.

Bleibt gesund frohes Wie

dersehn. Herzl. Grüsse &

Küsse Euer Ernst

Poznan [in today's Poland] - on the Theatre Bridge

From Vachenauer, Kav. R.R. 8, 8. Kav. Div.

To Miss Marti Vachenauer, Freiburg in Baden, Belfort street No. 27

Poznan, 2 December 1914

Dear Marti

En route for the last 3 days, and today here . . . Gniezno [about 50 km east of Poznan] then again on the march. From the firm I received 100 cigarettes, chocolate, and Landjäger [sausage] as well as a letter from Staigerman. Still nothing from Kanter. On the march again until Sunday. You all stay healthy. To a happy reunion. Warm greetings and kisses from your Ernst

Poznan castle is on the right side. It was destroyed during WWII, and only partially rebuilt; the main tower seems to be gone. Trams still go over the Theatre Bridge (called the "Most Teatralny" on Google Maps) but I could not recognise anything else.

Nach heissem Kampfe erobertes Gehöft bei Abaucourt

An Herrn Oswald Grummt, Geringswalde Kög. Sa., Obere Hauptstr. 112 V.

Abs. Soldat E. Grummt, Feldwehr (?) Abtg. 2. Westen der 19. K.S. Ers. Divs. 2. Komp 4. Korporalsch.

Westen, den 13/12.16

Liebe Eltern!

Teile Euch mit, dass ich heute wieder

mal Schwein gehabt habe. Am 15.

gehen 30 Mann von unserer Komp.

ins Feld. Also mann ist jetzt

nicht mehr sicher. Auf ein ge

sundes Wiedersehen Euer dank

barer Sohn Erich. Paul hat heute auch geschrieben

A farmstead near Abaucourt captured after a heated battle

To Mr Oswald Grummt, Geringswalde in the Kingdom of Saxony, Upper High Street 112 V.

From Soldier E. Grummt, Feldwehr (?) Division No. 2 Western Front, of the 19th Royal Saxon Ersatz-Division, 2nd Company, 4th Squad

Western Front, 13 December 1916

Dear Parents!

Letting you know that I had a stroke of luck again today. On the 15th, 30 men from our company are going into the field. So one is no longer safe. To a healthy reunion, your thankful son Erich. Paul also wrote to you today.

Erich Grummt isn't in the Verlustlisten, but there is a Paul Grummt from Geringswalde who appears as wounded 3 times. Brothers, perhaps?

sicher = in this context it means safe, not certain; thanks GreyC

Thank you .I know you like ones from the same person and I have 5 to post but im not sure if he was military.I will have to let you do your magic to find out.I think the people are a bit strange having a horse in the living room but hey different times.! I would think the Grummt name is not common so they could well be brothers .Thank you GreyC for your infomation too

img001 (2).jpg

img001 (3).jpg

img001.pdf img002.pdf

5 hours ago, GreyC said:

it actually translates as "is no longer safe".

Thank you! I was very confused by that sentence.

The Landjäger was a lucky hit on Google!

56 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

The Landjäger was a lucky hit on Google!

They are called that because they were probably snackfood for rural police of the same name.

And to GROBBY: If it says Feldpost or Soldatenbrief, the mail is from or to a soldier. So he is one.

GreyC