Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coucy Le Chateau May 1917

GROBBY

5 hours ago, GROBBY said:

so will leave posting for a while until you are ready for some more

You can post more if you like now, I like having a couple of different projects going at once.

If they are really clear, I can read them right away. I notice it is getting quite hard to concentrate if I can't read them after 2 or 3 passes.

Thank you Knittinganddeath .Unfortunately im getting down to the last 30 or so and they are getting harder to get clear ones .I will post another 2 ,one of which is one of 6 to the same person .If they get too difficult just leave them its not worth the problems .Thank you for trying 

img001 (2).jpg

img001.pdf img002.pdf img003.pdf

You chose good ones @GROBBY

img002

Absender

Gefr. Mindermann, z. Zt. Fauernvraa, b. Cristiansfeld, Kr. Hadersleben

An

Frau Mindermann, Etelsen, Kr. Achim. Bez. Bremen

Sender: Gefreiter Mindermann, currently at Fauernvraa [Favervrå, now in Denmark] near C[h]ristiansfeld, Hadersleben [Haderslev, also now in Denmark] constituency

To Mrs Mindermann, Etelsen, Achim constituency, Bremen district

img003

Fauernvraa den 5.10.14

Meine liebe alle

Mir geht es sehr gut hoffentlich

Euch auch noch. Schickt mir die Zeitung

wieder. Brief folgt morgen. Meine

Adresse ist ja umseitig.

Seid alle herzlich gegrüsst

von Eurem Vater

Favervrå, 5.10.14 [should be 15? (this was a misunderstanding, see posts below for clarification)]

All my dear ones,

I am doing very well, hopefully you are too. Send me the newspaper again. Brief to follow tomorrow. My address is on the other side. Warm greetings to you all from your father.

I think the last (first; img001) card might be written from one fraternity brother to another, there is a symbol/combination of letters that I'm trying to figure out.

Edited by knittinganddeath

img001

S. H. Herrn cand. math. Kurt Frommann (fraternity symbol), Halle a/Saale, Albrechtstr. 2            Sonntag d. 11.VII.1916

den 13.7.16

Lieber B[undes]bruder

Für deine l. Karte von Stiftebier

besten Dank. Wie geht's sonst

immer bei einer verehrlichen

(fraternity symbol)? Mir persönlich gehts gut.

Sonst nichts neues. Besten

Gruss an dich und deine . . .

Angehörigen. dein Hanns (?) Lembke (?) {fraternity symbol)

To His Reverence Mr cand. math. Kurt Frommann, Halle an der Saale, Albrechtstr. 2             Sunday 11 July 1916 [looks to be written by a different person]

Dear fraternity brother

Many thanks for your dear card from the fraternity drink (?????). How is everything going otherwise for an honourable fraternity brother [i.e. the recipient of the card]? Personally I am doing well. Nothing else new. Warm greetings to you and your relations. Yours, Hanns (?) Lembke (?)

Kurt Frommann got married in September 1918 in Halle; his profession on the marriage certificate was given as Studien-Referendar, trainee teacher.

Here is a list of fraternity signs still used in Halle/Saale today. The one in this postcard looks vaguely like the one used by ATV Gothia Halle, but I don't think they are the same. Unfortunately there are also many fraternities that are now defunct and it is not easy to find their signs.

2051349419_ScreenShot2021-11-09at18_14_54.png.e900603cdaa0ee425f2fa3a447fc443e.png

7 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Why do you think so? For me clearly 1914. Probably Landsturm securing the border.

The postmark looked like 6.10.15. I couldn't decide which was correct. 

I don t see a postmark on img 002. The postmark 6.10.15 belongs to a different card, the obverse of which is the one with the printed Schanzen text above.

GreyC

I misunderstood which cards belonged together. I thought 001 and 002 002 and 003 were together because of Favervrå, and that Schanzen belonged with the fraternity brothers. Will edit the original post.

Edited by knittinganddeath

Hi Knitinganddeath the date is  6.10.15 its also written in pencil next to the postmark and the others of the same man are also 1915 .I  will post them next. 001 and 002 did go together. The thing I cant understand is the Schanzen card has 2 postmarks one stating 2nd Fieldartillary regt and the other stating 32 Inf Division ,according to Project Gutenberg in 1916 the 32nd had the 28th and 64th F.A Rgt not the 2nd but I found them in the 3rd Brigade 3rd Division in 1916 .I was wondering why it had a 32nd Inf Div postmark. Thank you for your work

img001.pdf img002.pdf img003.pdf img004.pdf

An Frau A Mindermann, Etelsen, Bez. Bremen

To Mrs A Mindermann, Etelsen, Bremen district

30 Nov 19. . . .

Meine Lieben

Habe Paket erhalten

Sonst gehts gut

Es grüsst Vater

30 November 19...

My dear ones! Received the package. Everything else is going well. Greetings from Father

Absender Landsturmmann Mindermann, Landst. Inf. Ers. Battl. 24, A Komp., Flensburg

An Frau Albert Mindermann in Etelsen, Kr. Achim, Bez. Bremen

From Landsturmmann Mindermann, Landsturm Infanterie Ersatz Battalion 24, A company, Flensburg

To Mrs Albert Mindermann in Etelsen, Achim constituency, Bremen district

Flensburg 16.9.15

Meine Lieben

Bin hier bis jetzt noch in Flensburg

wie lange ich hier bleibe weiss ich

nicht. Bin sehr gut aufgehoben hier

Vielleicht kann ich morgen schon mehr

schreiben.

Seid alle herzlich gegrüsst

Vater

Flensburg, 16 September 1915

My dear ones! For now I'm still here in Flensburg, I don't know how long I will stay. I am in good hands here. Perhaps I can already write more again tomorrow. Warm greetings to you all from Father

An Frau Alb. Mindermann in Etelsen, Bez. Bremen

To Mrs Albert Mindermann in Etelsen, Bremen district

Geschrieben am Montag Mittags 2 Uhr

Meine Lieben alle

Habe soeben das Paket empfangen

wofür ich meinen besten Dank sage.

Es ist hier schon ziemlich kalt und

der Boden ist mit Schnee bedeckt.

Wann wir uns (?) weg kommen wissen

wir noch nicht. Gestern haben wir uns

Güstrow besehen. Ist aber nicht viel los.

Es grüsst herzlich Euer Vater

Written on Monday afternoon, 2 o'clock

My dear ones! Just received the package for which I send my many thanks. Here it is already quite cold and the ground is covered with snow. We do not know yet when we will leave. Yesterday we visited Güstrow [POW camp]. But there isn't much happening. Warm greetings from your father

Absender A Mindermann, Landsturmmann, Lands. Batl. (?) Kom. (?) II

An Frau Mindermann, Etelsen, Bez. Bremen

From A Mindermann, Landsturmmann, Lands. Batl. Kom. II (???)

To Mrs Mindermann, Etelsen, Bremen district

Bremen, d. 11.6.15

Meine Lieben!

Fahren hier um 1 1/2 Uhr vor Bremen

. . . . nach Tondern vor F. Bischoff (?)

ist seid um 12 Uhr diese Nacht da.

Sind umweit 33 (?) . . . . .

Herzliche Grüsse

Bremen, 11 June 1915

My dear ones! We leave here in 1 1/2 hours. Before Bremen

. . . to Tondern before F. Bischoff (?)

has been there since 12 tonight.

. . . . . .

Warm greetings

The writing is very faint here and I didn't manage to manipulate the image enough to get a better contrast. Sorry about that! At least you can get the general idea, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @GROBBY I hope you're well! Sorry for the delay. I had a lot more trouble than I anticipated, and ended up being mostly able to read words like "the," "and," "it" etc... so the letter is quite fragmentary. It is easier to summarize than to transcribe.

Written on 2 October 1916 by Landsturmmann Gebensleben, Landsturm Bataillon X25, 8. Korpralschaft to his wife Hedwig Gebensleben in Hedeper, Kreis Wolfensbüttel.

He wants to write her a few words to say that he has arrived back "here". The weather has been rainy and cold. He has a cold with a stuffy nose but he reassures her that he will soon be well again in a few days. Dinner tonight was not good: green beans. Something about Sunday holiday -- not sure if he will be able to go home? He asks about some friends, Kessel? and Brinkmann? and then says he hasn't heard from someone else. Something about potatoes. Something about Hans. Ludwig doesn't have the slightest clue about something. How are the children doing, he would very much like to be with them. He says that if she sends a package in the next few days then please send some apples as he wants to eat apples but it is OK with just a letter. A thousand warm greetings and kisses also for the children from your loving Wilhelm.

Hi Knitting Thank you so much for persevering with that very difficult letter and getting what you did from it, it is most appreciated.I am nearly out of postcards for now ( but have a couple left ) but difficult ones.I have just won another 21 but they wont be here for a while. I still have about a hundred or so Shaumann  Feldpostbrief but the handwriting you found very difficult. In amongst I found one written by possibly by an aid so dont know if this might be a bit easier so I am posting it .If you cant no worrys Thank you again

Scan_20211215 (2).jpg

Scan_20211215 (3).jpg

Scan_20211215 (4).jpg

Hi @GROBBY I think I will be able to read that one but could you post as a PDF instead? I need to be able to zoom more than the current resolution allows. Thanks! And sorry!

@GROBBY that is still the same as before? Is it possible you can make an attachment so it can be downloaded, instead of posting the images directly? Thank you :-)

Thank you GreyC and Knitting for your help .At the moment im trying to put it as an attachment but I have just installed a new super confusing computer and need my son to show  an old dinosaur how to. I have just got 21 new postcards so will be posting these soon

22 hours ago, GROBBY said:

I have just got 21 new postcards so will be posting these soon

Yay! Postcards are usually pretty OK to read if they're uploaded directly as a photo. Good luck sorting out the new computer!

Sorry it took a while. I got Covid and am super-tired (luckily no other symptoms). My issue is still the resolution, but GreyC could probably make more of it than me. However, I can tell you that the return address includes Kriegslazarett and "Erholungsheim" (rest home) so he must have been wounded. I think his name is Friedrich Schubert but not sure.

You are correct. He writes from an Erholungsheim affiliated to a Kriegslazarettabteillung. The placename ist to blurry for me to decipher. Schubert was a Pionier with the Süd-Armee.

GreyC

OK, having studied it some more, this is what I think it says.

An Herrn Carl Böhmer, Gutsbesitzer (?) u[nd] Getreidehändler in Ober-Colmnitz, bez. Dresden (Sachsen)

Erholungsheim, . . . ., d. 2.9.16

Liebe Grosseltern u. alle anderen!

Hier sende ich eine Aufnahme

von hier, es sind wir alle

welche in Baracke 2 liegen.

Es grüsst Euch alle

vielmals Euer Friedrich

To Mr Carl Böhmer, landowner and grain dealer in Ober-Colmnitz, Dresden district (Saxony)

Rest home, . . . . 2 September 1916

Dear Grandparents and everyone else! Hereby I'm sending a photograph of here, it's all of us who are in Barracks 2. Many greetings from your Friedrich