Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coucy Le Chateau May 1917

GROBBY

26 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Luckily there is a photo of Major Schaumann in the regimental history.

Thanks for the picture! It's helped with reading one of the letters...I think the first bed in the diagram that I posted above was Ltn Stephan's -- hadn't realised it was a surname, and thought it was too uncommon a spelling for a first name, so left it blank.

Curt Ernst August Wilhelm Schaumann married Anna Minna Elisabeth Becker on 25.6.1895 in Hagenau, They had two children both born in Hagenau - Friedrich Theodor Ernst Siegfried b.02.07.1904 and Renata Elisabeth Georgi Franziska b.16.12.1907.

Charlie

Wow that is fantastic work both of you .Its great to have a picture of him too,and as you say Knitting all this makes other things clearer.Unfortunately I cant help a lot as my german isnt up to it.Thank you for all the information and help its very interesting and I cant wait to learn more

This is my attempt at the letter from 28.1.15.

I have no idea if "Stellung" is correct...or any other word, really...also I don't really know what a good English word for "Stellung" is.

Stellung, 28.1.15

Mein Liebstes!

Endlich sitzen wir in unsere gemütli-

chen Unterstand. Es sind -2 also schönes

Wetter. Gestern früh bin ich hergeritten (?)

und habe bei Steder (?) gegessen nachdem

wir . . . . die Stellung abgegangen sind,

die ausgezeichnet ist. Heute bin ich den

ganzen Vormittag in der Stellung

herumgelaufen und eben nach Hause ge-

kommen, fand aber keinen Brief

vor. Es ist möglich, dass mal wieder

auch 2-3 Tage Sperre ist. Unten der

Grundriss unseres Hauses.

Die Geduld

Spiele sind

gestern gekommen.

Viele Grüsse

Kurt

Position/trench/front, 28.1.15

My dearest!

At last we are sitting in our comfortable underground dwelling. It is -2 degrees, nice weather. Early yesterday I rode (?) out here and ate with Steder (?), after which we . . . . left the position/trench, which is excellent. This morning I walked around the position/trench and then came home, but found no letter. It is possible that there is again a delay of 2-3 days. Below the layout of our house. The patience games arrived yesterday. Many greetings from Kurt

:-S

I‘d be more likely to use emplacement when refering to artillery or a gun and position or post for infantry etc.

Charlie

Thanks GreyC and Charlie2. Seems like there might not really be a good English equivalent for "Stellung." I thought "trench warfare" was the equivalent of "Stellungskrieg" but perhaps not literally? Some dictionaries suggest "positional warfare" instead.

Anyway, here is another (attempt at a) card from Kurt.

bei Lille 10.10.14

L.M. Eben geht Stoss (?) ab

da will ich dir nur schnell

mitteilen dass es mir recht

gut geht, so wie ich kann

schreibe ich einen Brief. Hoffent

lich hast du die Filmrolle

erhalten. Habe mich sehr über

die Leibbinde gefreut. Da

kann . . . . . . . . .

mit der Kote (?). Viele Grüsse

an All. Es umarmt dich

dein Kurt

near Lille, 10 October 1914

Dear M. The push is starting so I will only write quickly to let you know that I am doing quite well and I will write a letter as soon as time allows. Hopefully you received the film roll. I was very pleased with the cholera belts. . . . . . . . . Many greetings to all. Hugs from Kurt

Hi Knittinganddeath .You have done brilliantly with the translatian as the source material was very bad .I think a good word for stellung could be command post but I dont realy know german well. Well done and please keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, GROBBY said:

I fint it strange he calls his wife Minna not Anna

Seems to be fairly normal. I have seen more examples where the person went by their middle name.

10 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

I thought "trench warfare" was the equivalent of "Stellungskrieg"

It is, although not literally, another translation would be static warfare. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2021 at 10:45, knittinganddeath said:

Abs. Vachenauer, Kav. R.R. 8, 8. Kav. Div.

The 8. Kavallerie-Division was mostly Saxon, initially serving on the southern part of the Western Front before being transferred to East Prussia at the end of August 1914. I'm most puzzled as to the identity of the sub-unit here. Here's the initial order of battle as given in Sachsen in Grosser Zeit:

8KD_OOBAug1914_SiGZ.jpg.539086b8f94ac0f4a79fa7ee3152d915.jpg

As usual this OOB omits the non-combatant support assets. There was certainly a Kavallerie-Kraftfahr-Kolonne 8 (KKK 8 - cavalry divisional motor transport column 8) but nothing which could be abbreviated as KRR 8 so far as I can tell.

On 11/08/2021 at 10:45, knittinganddeath said:

Abs. Soldat E. Grummt, Feldwehr (?) Abtg. 2. Westen der 19. K.S. Ers. Divs. 2. Komp 4. Korporalsch.

This should probably read 'Feldrekr[uten]-Abteilung 2'. The Infanterie-Feldrekrutendepot of 19. Ersatz-Division appears to have been divided up into at least two (battalion strength?) Abteilungen at some point in 1916. It had of course always been divided into companies.

RekrDepot19ErsDiv_Juni1916_.jpg.7ce999832e9e1d6b4d3c474c131fa5cf.jpg

16 minutes ago, bierast said:

There was certainly a Kavallerie-Kraftfahr-Kolonne 8 (KKK 8 - cavalry divisional motor transport column 8) but nothing which could be abbreviated as KRR 8 so far as I can tell.

I could very well have read it wrong. I have a lot of trouble distinguishing P, K, and R (the "Paket" that I thought was a "Raket" comes to mind).

Looking at the original again, I can see an argument for it being "Kav. K. K." because the K in "Kolonne" reasonably resembles the letters that I thought were R. And one could also argue that the slight bulge on the upper leg of the K in "Kav" suggests a loop that wasn't closed properly, but if it were then it would match the subsequent letters.

208491842_ScreenShot2021-09-04at14_50_29.png.28b3e7a35ddb84eca8607dca1e2ca8f1.png1601905635_ScreenShot2021-09-04at14_54_13.png.b2ca6dda526170fd45a2ea5bb5d44f0b.png

6 minutes ago, bierast said:

Feldrekr[uten]-Abteilung 2

Thank you!

On 21/08/2021 at 16:26, knittinganddeath said:

Liege, Caserne des Lanciers

Abs. W. Leske (?) Inf. Regt. 416, 2. Batl., 7. Komp. 204 des 408 . . . .

IR 416 (originally known as 'Infanterie-Regiment Leipzig') was formed as part of 408. Infanterie-Brigade, the Saxon half of the mixed Saxon / Württemberg 204. Infanterie-Division. This low-grade division was created in June 1916 by agreement of the Saxon and Württemberg war ministries to guard against potential amphibious landings on the German or Flemish coast, to be placed at the disposal of the Oberkommando der Küstenverteidigung (coastal defence command). However by the end of July plans had changed, and the division was committed to the heavily inundated quiet sector south of Dixmuide on the 31st, releasing 4. Ersatz-Division for use on the Somme.

We cover this division's experiences in Flanders that year in Fighting the Kaiser's War, with some very fine photos if I do say so myself. :) The 204. Infanterie-Division was converted to a pure Württemberg division at the end of 1916, with the Saxon elements transferring to the 212. Infanterie-Division.

204._I.D._Ypern_1917.jpg.fe98515c1fb5456ec7e765672bb7d164.jpg

Letter of 4 January 1915

Am 4.1.15

Meine Liebstes!

Gestern 2 Briefe, darunter der von 24.

heute den vom 29. Die Filmrolle ist ja

fein angekommen. Inzwischen wirst du

ja noch meinen Brief vom 24. haben. Das

Bäumchen steht mit dem Glöcken immer

noch da. Übrigens sieht eines ja auf (?)

dein . . . . . An Paul kann ich schreiben.

Ich werde aus Generalkommando schreiben

falls I. einbrausen werden sollte. Ich hatte

ihn geschrieben er sollte sich durch Stadt

und Landrat ans Generalkommando

wenden. Wenn er sich drum bekümmert

solle, wäre es ihm schon gelungen, da

die Machte doch für Stadt und Kreis

arbeiten. Aber trotz seiner Angst

scheint er Nichts getan zu haben. Wenn

Bürgermeister und Landrat. . . .

. . . . müssen sie ihn freilaasen. . . .

ein netter Brief von . . . . . . .

Ich glaube nicht, dass Braunschweig . . . .

. . . . . .!  Hochstens . . . . . .

du bist meiner Meinung. . . .

My dearest! Yesterday 2 letters, among them that of the 24th and today that of the 29th. The roll of film arrived perfectly well. In the meantime you will have received my letter of the 24th. The little [Christmas] tree and the little bell are still there. By the way one of them looks. . . . . I can write to Paul. I wll do it from Generalkommando in the event that I. comes storming in. I had written to him that he ought to direct himself through the city council and district administrator to the Generalkommando. If he had taken the trouble to do so, he would have already succeeded for the powers work for the city and district. But despite his fear he seems to have done nothing. If the mayor and the district administrator . . . . they must set him free. . . . . a nice letter . . . . I don't believe that Braunschweig. . . . At the most. . . . you are in my opinion. . . .

Letter of 10 January 1915

Mein Allerbestes!

Diesen Brief bekommst du nun durch den Lausbuben.

Behandle ihn als einen Sohn! Der Abschied

wird mir wahnsinnig schwer! Er ist mir

wirklich mehr wie ein eigener Sohn. Hoffent-

lich gelingts, ihn wieder herzubringen. Vielen

Dank für Brief 3 & 4. Hat Dorte Herstel (?)

all eingeladen? Dann wars so sehr nett

für das Kind, die Bolder (?) sind ja sehr

gut. Der L'bub bring eine Filmrolle

und mein . . . . mit. Es liegt ein

Zettel daran was drauf graviert werden

soll. Nun geh'ts ausgezeichnet aber der

Abschied bringt mich richter runter. Ich den-

ke dass der L'b. 22ge bis Euch bleiben

kann. Ein Ei wirst du spandieren da-

mit er wieder Ei klappern (?) vormachen kann.

Er soll auch der . . . .

Er kann ein . . . .hand von . . .

ziehen. Nun Schluss mein Allerbestes.

Hoffentlich seid ihr recht fidel

zusammen. dein Kurt

My dearest! You are receiving this letter from my batman/orderly. Treat him as a son! Our farewell was terribly difficult. He is really more like my own son. Hopefully I will succeed in bringing him back here. Many thanks for letters 3 & 4. Did Dorte Herstel (?) invite everyone? That was really so very nice for the child, the guys (?) are of course very good. The batman is bringing a roll of film and my . . . . There is a note enclosed, which should be engraved upon it. Now everything is going excellently, but the leavetaking is getting me down. I think that the batman will be able to stay with you until the 22nd. Spare an egg so that he can demonstrate how to beat it (???). He should also . . . . . . . . . . . That's all for now my dearest. Hopefully you will all be very happy together. your Kurt

Letter of 13 January 1916

13.I.1916

L.M.

Komme eben halb 3 von vorn, wo ich

mit dem . . . Kommandant. . . . im

Graben rumgekrochen bin. Herrliches

. . . . Wetter (russisch). Komme noch

nicht in Stellung. Gehr mir ausgezeichnet.

Fand eben Brief 7 vor, hat der

Lausbube de. . . . bekommen. Gebt Ihr

ihn richtig angeordnet 1 Stück.

Grüsse

Kurt

Dear M.

Got back around 2:30 from in front, where I and the Kommandant. . . . . crawled around in the trench. Lovely . . . . weather (Russian). Not going to the front/trench/foremost position yet. Everything is excellent.

Letter No. 7 arrived, did the batman get the egg (?). Will you give him one properly arranged? Greetings from Kurt

Edited by knittinganddeath

Knittinganddeath you have done a wonderfull job translating the awfull writing of Kurtand I congratulate you on doing so. It is interesting to see the war from a senior officers view and how he feels about his batman. By the way my father was a batman when he did his service .He had no choice in what he did and I dont think his officer was very nice .When he writes about the rolls of film he sends back I wish I had those too,but they could be somewhere.I will post the next couple but only do them if you wish to

img001.pdf img002.pdf img003.pdf img004.pdf

Letter of 4 July 1915

L.M.

Es geht mir ausgezeichnet. Habe wieder

2 Tage Arrest (??) Dienst gehabt in einem Dorfe. Das

trainiert. Der Bauch ist ganz weg! Nur

sonst unbequem den la[n?]gen Tag nicht hadern (?)

zu dürfen. Die Tage haben seit . . . .

immer 25 Stunden. Nächte gibt's nicht!

Die K. gehen aber zurück daher geht's

noch. Geht's Euch hoffentlich gut. Gestern

kamen (?) W. (?) Pakete (?) ins Reich und Briefe 24, 25,

26, 27, vielen Dank. Alles Gute dein Kurt

Dear M.

I am doing excellently. Just had 2 days of detention (??) in a village. That was good training. My [fat] stomach is gone! It is just uncomfortable to not be allowed to fight (?) the whole long day. Since . . . . the days have always had 25 hours. There are no nights! The K. is however going back. Hopefully you are all well. Yesterday packages and letters 24, 25, 26, and 27 arrived in my hands, thank you very much. All the best from your Kurt

@GROBBY I'm sorry to hear your father's officer wasn't very nice. For all that Kurt seems to love his batman, though, it seems strange to me that he doesn't mention his name.

Anyway, I am either starting to get a better feel for Kurt's handwriting or else he is writing more neatly. Could you post a few more? I've got a lot of the letter from 10.7.15 but find that it's good to have several going at once. Thank you!

Edited by knittinganddeath
Dienst, not Arrest - thanks GreyC

1 hour ago, knittinganddeath said:

2 Tage Arrest (??) gehabt in einem Dorfe.

Very unlikely for a Major! 

Charlie

Edited by charlie2
Deleted the rubbish :)

GreyC and charlie2, thank you very much! Indeed, Arrest for a Major seemed very unlikely. I thought perhaps he meant he was supervising others in detention.

• 4 weeks later...

One last letter from Kurt...

Nosow, 10.7.15

Mein Allerbestes

Wie du aus der Zeitung richtig erfahren hast

bin . . . .hier an der Kote? Lipa. Habe schon?

ein Hauschen gegen Feuer gedeckt als . . .

und . . . . Aber sehr schön wenn erst der

. . . . . . . . Fliegen. Voran der Ort ist bis

auf die Hühner völlig geräumt. Da gibts

jetzt Hühn in Heder. . . . . Mir geht's ausge

zeichnet. Eben Brief 3. 4 der O . . . . . hat

der Lausbub meistens verpasst. Wie haben

dann die dragoner die Verluste gehabt?

Natürlich habe ich Mücke mit der Katze

und der Fische erkennt. Ich werde ewig

solche bedenken. Ihr schreibt ja gehts nichts

von ihm (?). Wie bleiben dann die Bolden?

In diesen Tagen ist . . . . 14 abgegangen

13 am 22.6. die muss Ihr doch haben

Sonst nichts zu berichten. Mein Gehirn brock-

net auch wie bei der Hitze. Die Lampe ist

fein. Schick mir bitte den meisten (?)

von . . . . das grösste (?) die . . .

wirst du wohl haben. Viele Grüusse Euch

besten dein Kurt.

Nosow [Poland], 10.7.15

My dearest! As you correctly discovered from the newspaper, I am . . . here on the outskirts of Lipa. Have already fortified a house against [enemy] fire and it. . . . . But vey nice when the . . . . In front of the villaeg everything, including the chickens, has been cleared out. There are chickens in the straw (??). I am doing excellently. The batman was too late for Letter 3 . 4 of the . . . . How did the dragoons sustain their losses?

Of course I recognized Mousie with the cat and the fish. I will remember it forever. You all write . . . . . How are the guys doing?

These days . . . .14 has gone off, 13 on the 22.6, you must have that one already. Otherwise nothing new. My brain is breaking in the heat (?). The lamp is nice. Please send me most . . . . from . . . the biggest (?) . . . . you will surely have. Many greetings to all you dear ones, Kurt

Thank you for translating that .Its very interesting that he is asking his wife how the dragoons sustained the losses as he is an officer in the army and he is asking his wife back home ,perhaps it was in the papers or was she in touch with his old regiment ? .I will post a couple of other ones not Schaumann .Thanks again

img001.pdf img002.pdf img003.pdf img004.pdf