Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coucy Le Chateau May 1917

GROBBY

Thats brilliant Thank you .Im sorry you had covid but hopefully you are over most of it .Im trying to take photos on my phone and download it onto the computer but it dosnt want to download at the moment so I will have to wait for my boy to pop round. On the board in front of the troops I think the bottom line says Esary or Isary and I wondered if the man holding the sign and has a cross below him is Friedrich ?

Sorry, for some reason I just saw this now. It works fine for me to download the images. I'll take a closer look in the New Year (just a few hours from now ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

An Herrn W. Zötzel, . . . . . . , Cöpernick b/Berlin (?), Kais. Wilhelmstr. 2.

Essen fassen!

Lieber Willi

Mit dem Essnapf in der

Hand, durch den Jüteboger

Sand! Fürs Vaterland.

Gemütlich was!

dein Schwagerleben . . . .

u. glücklicher Onkel

To Mr W. Zötzel, . . . . . , Cöpernick near Berlin (?), Kaiser Wilhelm Street 2.

Eat up!

Dear Willi

Through the sands of Jütebog with our food bowl in hand! For the Fatherland! Cosy, isn't it!

Your brother-in-law . . . . . and happy uncle

Scan_20220117 (5)

An Andreas Miller, 8. Gar. (?) Regmt., Ersatz-Eskadron, Dillingen a/D[onau]

Ulm, den 31. Aug. 1915

Lieber Bruder!

Ich will dir eins auch

wieder ein Kärtchen senden.

Nun wie geht es denn

dir? Mir geht es gut.

Hast du meinen Brief er-

halten? Von Pater habe

ich kürzlich auch eine Karte

erhalten es geht Ihm ganz gut.

Auf baldiges Antwort hoffend

grüsst dich herzlich . . . . . .

Heinricke

To Andreas Miller, 8th Guard (?) Regiment, Ersatz-Eskadron, Dillingen on the Danube

Ulm, 31 August 1915

Dear Brother! I wanted to send you a small card again. How are you doing now? I am doing well. Did you receive my letter? I recently received a card from Father, he is doing very well. Hoping for a prompt reply, warm greetings from . . . . . Heinricke

10 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

To Andreas Miller, 8th Guard (?) Regiment,

(Royal Bavarian) 8. Chevaulegers Regiment. I can‘t find a Heinricke Miller, so I am guessing it was a nickname for his brother Johannes to differentiate between him and their father. Johannes/Heinricke was serving with No. 1 Coy, KB Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 2 when he wrote the card.

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

Thank you Knittingaddeath for the translation and thank you charlie2 for the extra information as its great to know about the sender and recipient and helps me get a better picture of the german army of the time . I try  to do some research on where they were and what was happening but most of my information is on the british side.Thanks again

Scan_20220117(3)

Abs. V. feldw. d. Res. . . . . . ., XIII AK 27 . . . . ., Gren. Regt. 123, 4. Komp., Argonnen

I[hre]? H[oheit?] Fräulein Käte Hagenmaier, Ulm a[n] D[onau], Hinter dem Brot 5

Mein liebes Fräulein Hagenmaier! Sie

haben mir eine sehr grosse Freude mit

Ihre prächtiger Liebeszigarren bereitet die

gerade noch erwischten (?) dass ich Sie auch in der

Graben mitnehmen konnte. Nun sitz ich in

meinem Unterstand, 80 m vom Franzmann

weg, Kerze brennt, Holzkohlenöfele brennt, u.

Zigarre brennt. Draussen schoss der Franzkerle

ein paar Minute lang sehr wütend weil wir

ihm per Zettel mitgeteilt hatten, dass . . . . .

gefallen sei. Ganz besonders haben Sie mich

auch mit Ihrem l[ieben] Zeilen erfreut. Bis jetzt

geh'ts noch gut u. wenn ich wieder verwundet

werde dann pflegen Sie mich wieder gelt?

Besten Gruss Ihr dankb. Patient (?) Heh. Jung.

From Vizefeldwebel of the Reserve Junginger, XIII AK 27 Div(ision), Gren. Regt. 123, 4. Komp., Argonne

To Her Highness (???) Miss Käte Hagenmaier, Ulm on the Danube, Hinter dem Brot 15

My dear Miss Hagenmaier! You prepared such a great pleasure for me with your wonderful cigars that have just arrived/started (?) that I could also take you to the trenches. Now I'm sitting in my shelter 80 m from the French, the candle is burning, the charcoal stove is burning, and my cigar is burning. Outside the Frenchies have shot furiously for a few minutes because we sent them a note that . . . . had fallen. You really made me very happy with your kind words. Until now everything is still going well and if I am wounded again then you will nurse me again, right? Warm greetings from your thankful patient (?) . . . . . .

So sorry and frustrated that I couldn't read his name! Something like Fürzinger, maybe?

Edited by knittinganddeath
His name was Junginger from XIII AK 27 Div. Thank you charlie2!

5 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

His name was Heinrich Junginger.

Thank you! What a sad end...

Thank you Knittinganddeath for you translation .I like it that he is talking about trench life ,at the time he was in the Argonne area and at the time his regiment took part in an offensive of the Crown Prince .Thank you charlie2 for your help too as its great to know what happened to these writers .I have just receive another 23 Feldpostkart and a lot of them seem to have good writing ,I will post 2 now

Scan_20220123 (2).pdf Scan_20220123 (3).pdf Scan_20220123 (4).pdf Scan_20220123.pdf

The card stamped Paderborn

An Musketier Gehrtens (?), II. Rekruten Depot, II. Ersatz Battaillon, Inf. Regt. No. 74, in Hannover Herrenhausen 20. Korporalschaft

Stukenbrock, d. 9.10.

Lieber Bruder!

Wir schicken dir hiermit wieder ein Paket schreib uns mal wie dir der Inhalt gefällt [du] kannst es sicher gut gebrauchen u. schreibe uns auch mal ob es heil ankommt sonst müssen wir es einnähen (?) u. hast du auch Stukenbröcker bei dir auf der Stube. Dein Paket u. Brief mit Schlüssel haben wir richtig (?) erhalten. Wir sind alle noch recht gesund. Dasselbe hoffen wir auch von dir. Wenn du etwas nötig oder wenn dir Kleidung fehlt, so schreibe doch. Mit herz. Gruss Anna . . . . .

To Musketier Gehrtens (?), 2nd Recruit Depot, 2nd Ersatz Bataillon, Infanterie-Regt. No. 74, Herrenhausen at Hannover, 20th group

Stukenbrock, 9 October

Dear Brother! We are hereby sending you another package write and tell us if the contents please you surely you put them to good use and write and tell us also if it comes in one piece otherwise we will have to sew it up and are there are others from Stukenbrock in your group. We received your package and letter with the key. We are all still quite healthy. We hope the same of you. If you need something or if you require clothes, just write. With warm greetings from Anna . . . .

Herrenhausen was a Baroque palace. It was bombed during WWII and rebuilt less than 15 years ago.

The other letter

An Familie G[eor]g Silber in Pforzheim, Zähringer Allee 52.

Abs. Kan. Silber, Fuss-Art Regt. No. 14, 1. Rekr. Dep., Ers. Bat., Stube 140, Strassburg i. Els.

Meine Lieben!

Die Bettruhe, die wir gerade vom 1 bis 3 Uhr haben, habe ich dazu benutzt, wieder die Stückchen des guten Kuchens zu essen. Solch ein Nachtisch schmeckt fein. Unser Mittagessen bestand in Graupensuppe, Rindfleisch, Nudeln, Salat. Wir hatten heute alle einen Bärenhunger, da wir seit heugen morgen 6.30 bis 12 Uhr ohne etwas zu essen unterwegs waren. Schickt mir jedoch vor der Hand kein Brot mehr; ich habe noch verhältnissmässig viel Kommisbrot. Hungert nur nicht . . .wegen; dieser Gedank wäre mir an aller ärgsten (?). Wenn ich einteile reicht es gut!

Gestern abend hatten wir einen fidelen Abend. Ein Kamerad vom Kaiserstuhl hatte einen Korb voll Kirschen bekommen die wir auf einen Schlag halb ausassen. Ich will jetzt noch an Maria-Tante schreiben. Schickt mir doch recht viel Schreibpapier, Karten und Kartenbrief. Es grüsst und küsst Euch Hermann

To Georg Silber and family in Pforzheim, Zähringer Allee 52

From Kanonier Silber, Fuss-Artillerie Regiment No. 14, 1st recruit depot, Ersatz-Bataillon, Barracks 140, Strassburg in Alsace

My dear ones!

I took the opportunity of our bed rest from 1-3 o'clock to eat the pieces of that tasty cake again. Such a dessert tastes very good. Our lunch consisted of barley soup, beef, noodles, salad. We were all starving today because we hadn't eaten since this morning from 6.30 to 12. However, you don't need to send me any more bread; I still have a relatively large amount of bread. Just don't starve because of me (?); this thought is the worst to me (?). If I divide it up, it is enough!

Last night we had a fun evening. A comrade from the Kaiserstuhl had received a basket full of cherries, of which we ate half in one fell swoop. I want to write to Aunt Maria now. Send me quite a lot of writing paper, cards and letter cards. Greetings and kisses from Hermann

Thank you for such a fast translation .It is interesting that Silber talks about food a lot ,I was wondering if they were short of food at the time ?. I have noticed that I have another 7 cards and letters from Hermann Silber so will post these first and I thought the last one would interest you .Thanks again

Scan_20220124.pdf Scan_20220124 (2).pdf Scan_20220124 (3).pdf Scan_20220124 (4).pdf Scan_20220124 (5).pdf

• 4 weeks later...

@GROBBY I'm so sorry for the delay, I got a new computer (bah!) and not all the files came over so I totally forgot about this. I'm also not very sure about this letter from Hermann Silber's mother because she seems tired and distracted.

Donenrstag abend 3/4 10 Uhr, den 30. Mai 18.

Mein liebs Buble!

Noch ein kurzes Briefle will ich mein Buble schreiben, denn wir waren im Garten. Es ist ja Fronleichnam heute u. da ist Vater den ganzen Tag droben gewesen, er hat Kartoffel gesetzt (?) u. Bohnen, dann hat er Träuble (?) sammen gebunden, sie hängen so noch voll (?) dann haben wir noch Bohnen gesteckt. Ich habe Kraut und Blumenkohl gesetzt, du siehst wir haben immer zu tun. Nur dass wir bei Tag arbeite u. nicht bei Nacht.  Hast du so einen Befehl geschrieben hast du hast du schon zu tun u. das ist jedenfalls nicht alles könnte man aber nicht bälderen (?) fangen. Nun ist es schon wieder vorbei mit der Post, nur werden sie anderen Sachen zu befördern haben. Herrn Fuchs ist auch dabei. u. mein Buble? Herzliche Grüsse u. Küsse sendet dir deine Mutter.

Thursday evening, 9.45 pm, 30 May 18.

My dear boy!

I want to write another short letter to my dear boy, because we were in the garden. It is Corpus Christi today and father has been up there all day, he planted (?) potatoes and beans, then he tied red currant branches together, they are still hanging, then we planted beans. I planted cabbage and cauliflower, you see we always have work to do. Only that we may work by day and not by night!  Did you write an order like that, you already have work to do and that's not all one could do, but you couldn't catch more sooner (???). Now it's over again with the post, only they will have other things to carry. Mr. Fox is also there, and my dear boy? Your mother sends you her love and kisses.

13 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

red currant

actually its grapes (Träuble= Trauben). They probably had a small vineyard or at least a few grapevines.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Thank you for translating these .The time does not matter .I have a new computer and although its a lot faster I much prefer the old windows as it was a lot easier for a dinosaur like me. Here is another and hopefully make you smile Scan_20220218 (2).pdfScan_20220218 (2).pdfScan_20220218 (2).pdfScan_20220218 (2).pdfScan_20220218 (2).pdf

Scan_20220218.pdf

On 17/02/2022 at 12:03, GreyC said:

actually its grapes (Träuble= Trauben). They probably had a small vineyard or at least a few grapevines.

GreyC

Thank you! Duden said that Träuble was Schwabisch dialect for Johannisbeere but grapes make more sense.

Hi,

ah, I didn´t know that, actually. So it could be Johannisbeere, too. Sorry! Considering the date the card/letter was written, Johannisbeeren were harvested at the end of June the earliest, so they were almost ripe.

GreyC

On 18/02/2022 at 15:15, GreyC said:

So it could be Johannisbeere, too

No, I think you are right about the grapes. I was just visiting my father-in-law and he has a Johannisbeere bush, which made me think about how it looks when it's full of fruit. It's self-contained and doesn't need tying up. But grape vines can be a real mess and so to me it seems more logical that it really is grapes.

Also, from a closer look on the map it appears that Strassburg isn't really part of modern Schwaben, although Wikipedia says Schwabisch and Elsässisch/Alemanisch are related dialects.

On 24/02/2022 at 12:45, GreyC said:

Thanks for digging into the matter.

GreyC

If it’s grapes then drinking into the matter would be far better! 😜

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 3 weeks later...

OK, finally got (most of) it!

An Fräulein Else Bieler (Bieber?), Dessau - Anhalt, Böhmischerstr. 40A

Abs. Musk H. Starrtstra (?), Abt. E d. 7. Armee Wirtschafts Komp. 36, Feldpoststation 370

d. 15.1.17.

L.E.

Habe eben ein Brief von Fritz erhalten. Dankt vielmals für die schönen Grüsse von dir u. Frl. Corres (?) und lässt Euch auch gleichfalls viemals grüssen. Er ist wieder bei der Komp. und hät sehr viel zu tuhn. Wie geht es dir denn sonst hoffe am besten. Grüsse auch Frl. Corres (?). Über die Karte habe ich mich sehr amüsiert. Sonst nichts neues. Es grüsst herzlich d. Heine

To Miss Elise Bieler (Bieber?), Dessau-Anhalt, Böhmischerstr. 40A

From Musketier H. Starrtstra (?), Section E of the 7th Army, Economic Company 36, Feldpost station 370

15 January 1917

Dear Elise,

Just received a letter from Fritz. He thanks you and Miss Corres (?) very much for the lovely greetings and sends you both greetings as well. He is back with the company and says he has much to do. How are you doing otherwise, I hope you are well. Greetings also to Miss Corres (?). The card was very amusing. Nothing else new. Warm greetings from your Heine

Edited by knittinganddeath
Wirtschaftskompagnie - thanks charlie2!